Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
NB Caelmiri

'I lost £4,000 in a call centre scam'

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle! ?

An acute observation, Mr. C.

15 hours ago, smiler said:

I got scammed at Tescos

2 fit looking ladies approached me in the carpark and asked for a lift to another supermarket.

I duly obliged and they both got in the back.

We had barely left the carpark when they started kissing each other. We hadn't got very far before they asked me to pull over and invited me to join them on the back seat. While one of them had her wicked way with me, I later realised the other had stolen my wallet out of my jacket pocket.

This happened last Monday, Wednesday and twice on Friday.

Oh, I feel so used.

Watch out guys, these dreadful people are out to scam you.

Can understand being had once,but three times!

By the way,which branch of Tesco was it?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

An acute observation, Mr. C.

Don't you start! Just because logs are in the same book of mathematical tables as trig functions it doesn't make them trigonometry! Perhaps my 'power' allusion was too subtle?

I speak as someone who uses logarithmic functions every day, although I haven't looked at log tables for decades.

9 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I think there's a bit of dyslexia going on here.

Not dyslexia - malapropism!

Edited by Machpoint005

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Don't you start! 

Two jump leads went into a bar.

The barman said "don't you two start anything!"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Don't you start! Just because logs are in the same book of mathematical tables as trig functions it doesn't make them trigonometry! Perhaps my 'power' allusion was too subtle?

It perhaps was. Maths was the only subject in which I had to have extra tuition in order top pass my "O" level. I'm pleasantly surprised that I remember as much as I do.

On 21/10/2019 at 11:23, Slim said:

I have never been the victim of internet / phone scams. I pride myself that I'm too astute. BUT, remember the old saying 'pride comes before a fall'. Nigerian Princes and script driven foreign accented scammers are easy to identify. The plausable ones are less easy. Last week I received a recorded message telling me that my Santander debit card had been used for a £600 purchase in Scotland. As it happened I had exceptionly used the card 2 days previously. Normally for day to day transactions I use a non Santander account. The recording told me press a particular key to contact their security team. For a brief moment I was tempted to do so. Then sanity kicked in ,I recognised it as a scam and hung up. 

I had the same phone call as well a few days ago, Interestingly I had transferred £600 between accounts the day before. I ignored the call.

I've just received a phone call from Amazon telling me my 'Prime' account charge was going to be deducted from my bank account. Press 1 if I wanted to speak to someone about it. I was a bit suspicious as I didn't think Amazon had that phone number. I terminated the call and went online to check. On my Amazon page I have no prime account.

I had a call today from BT Openzone saying my internet service was about to be terminated. I told him that I would happily believe him if he could tell me what my IP address was. He hung up on me.

I get quite a few of these calls, I guess because I have a few telephone numbers on the internet. Generally I just hang up figuring that any genuine caller will try again. I once got a genuine call from PayPal in America who were investigating a rogue eBay trader I'd recently bought from. The guy got increasingly frustrated when I refused to reveal any personal information and I insisted that, as he had called me, he should provide me with that information. In the end we got through the conversation by communicating in a kind of cryptic exchange where only the details of the purchase were disclosed. 

Last week I had a call about Bitcoin. Just for fun I said "Oh! You've called at the perfect time, I'm with my financial advisor right now. I'll put him on." at which point I handed my phone to my unsuspecting friend who is a financial advisor. Disappointingly, they'd hung up 

The most dangerous scams are those that you are expecting to be paying out on and the Solicitor's e-mail address gets hacked ( https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/aug/24/the-45000-deposit-for-our-first-home-was-stolen-and-the-banks-did-nothing ).

The trouble is that there is almost no enforcement to catch these scammers, you are told to report it to Action Fraud but sadly, if you do, not much is going to happen.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The most dangerous scams are those that you are expecting to be paying out on and the Solicitor's e-mail address gets hacked

When I'm conducting a house transaction, my solicitor ALWAYS calls me personally to double (triple) check the destination account minutes before initiating the CHAPS transfer. Same the other way around when I'm sending funds to them.  

9 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The most dangerous scams are those that you are expecting to be paying out on and the Solicitor's e-mail address gets hacked ( https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/aug/24/the-45000-deposit-for-our-first-home-was-stolen-and-the-banks-did-nothing ).

The trouble is that there is almost no enforcement to catch these scammers, you are told to report it to Action Fraud but sadly, if you do, not much is going to happen.

There is no way I am just paying to a bank account specified in an email. I would double and triple check. Usually I would have paid small fees( like search fee) already, so it will ring alarm bells if the accounts are different.

That said, I would not call any of the scammed people careless or stupid, a small error of judgement(when I am stressed or in a hurry) can open me to a scam.

Edited by restlessnomad

Sign in to follow this