Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
NB Caelmiri

'I lost £4,000 in a call centre scam'

Featured Posts

To be honest the only way to be safe from phone scams is to say that you never buy anything over the phone. We have absolutely always done that. Same with doorstep salesmen, just ask for everything in writing and tell them to come back next week. In fact don't buy any damn thing unless you really need it then shop for it.

• Greenie 1

I have a home phone line for internet. I don't even know the phone number...so if it rings I don't answer it as I know it's a scam. I only have a phone on it in case my mobile signal is down and we have an emergency. 

47 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50117796

Will people please stop giving money away to foreign call centres, to Nigerian princes, to people pretending to be your future husband/wife (who you've never met before)?

Here's a list of them:

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-of-scams

Read up and don't be taken in.

The Aussie Scamwatch statistics are interesting: for September 2019 the numbers of men and women reporting a scam were equal. Over a third of the scams came as phone calls, and another quarter as emails. The age profile was remarkably level for adults (yes, the number of over-65s was higher but this is presumably because that is the most targeted group). 

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

(yes, the number of over-65s was higher but this is presumably because that is the most targeted group). 

I'm not sure that they have that much data on people. They'll try every number they have. 

I have never been the victim of internet / phone scams. I pride myself that I'm too astute. BUT, remember the old saying 'pride comes before a fall'. Nigerian Princes and script driven foreign accented scammers are easy to identify. The plausable ones are less easy. Last week I received a recorded message telling me that my Santander debit card had been used for a £600 purchase in Scotland. As it happened I had exceptionly used the card 2 days previously. Normally for day to day transactions I use a non Santander account. The recording told me press a particular key to contact their security team. For a brief moment I was tempted to do so. Then sanity kicked in ,I recognised it as a scam and hung up. 

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

I have never been the victim of internet / phone scams. I pride myself that I'm too astute. BUT, remember the old saying 'pride comes before a fall'. Nigerian Princes and script driven foreign accented scammers are easy to identify. The plausable ones are less easy. Last week I received a recorded message telling me that my Santander debit card had been used for a £600 purchase in Scotland. As it happened I had exceptionly used the card 2 days previously. Normally for day to day transactions I use a non Santander account. The recording told me press a particular key to contact their security team. For a brief moment I was tempted to do so. Then sanity kicked in ,I recognised it as a scam and hung up. 

I'm the same but actually remember being caught out by a paypal scam about 4 or 5 years ago, and a paypal email scam. I'm generally pretty on it for catching scam emails but this one was particularly convincing and they'd disguised the URL pretty well. I opened the link, started typing in my details and submitted it. It wasn't until seconds after it clicked I'd been had, so quickly went to change my paypal details and luckily nothing had come of it. That's the first and only time I've been had, browsers are getting better at highlighting such things.

1 minute ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I'm the same but actually remember being caught out by a paypal scam about 4 or 5 years ago, and a paypal email scam. I'm generally pretty on it for catching scam emails but this one was particularly convincing and they'd disguised the URL pretty well. I opened the link, started typing in my details and submitted it. It wasn't until seconds after it clicked I'd been had, so quickly went to change my paypal details and luckily nothing had come of it. That's the first and only time I've been had, browsers are getting better at highlighting such things.

How many people on this forum can put their hand on their heart and say they've never made a dodgy e bay purchase, in other words a con, scam, rip-off, call it what you  will . Some months ago I wanted a couple paintbrush container pads (to stop the brushes going hard overnight). The trending price was £7 for one, £11 for two. I found an offer which used an illustration of 4 pads, used the PADS in the description and quoted a price of just under £16. Quick click and 2 days later 1 pad turned up. What I had missed was that buried in the text were words along the lines of 'one item.' Complained to seller to no avail. I could have returned it at my expense for a refund but I needed it really urgently. Lesson re-learnt

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

How many people on this forum can put their hand on their heart and say they've never made a dodgy e bay purchase, in other words a con, scam, rip-off, call it what you  will . Some months ago I wanted a couple paintbrush container pads (to stop the brushes going hard overnight). The trending price was £7 for one, £11 for two. I found an offer which used an illustration of 4 pads, used the PADS in the description and quoted a price of just under £16. Quick click and 2 days later 1 pad turned up. What I had missed was that buried in the text were words along the lines of 'one item.' Complained to seller to no avail. I could have returned it at my expense for a refund but I needed it really urgently. Lesson re-learnt

I could do with some of those! Any recommendations of where to get some from? ?

There's the dodgy scams that target us on the phone, e mail, etc , and then there's the other scams. pensions miss selling, very dodgy and sharp practice by banks and building societies, the whole world of finance, rip off charges, housebuilders flogging ruinous leases on new houses, the whole world of leases, the entire 2008 banking crash, 'Equity release' we are absolutely surrounded by them.  I've never been fooled by some Nigerian  prince, far too clever for that! But the financial world? Yeah, I reckon I've been fooled by 'legal' scams, I reckon that most of us probably have at sometime.. Its the crooks in suits who will really bleed you dry. 

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Determined not to be scammed with stuff like this (we don't easily part with brass in Yorkshire) I check and check again.  The other day I saw something I was interested in, price was £9.99 (definitely) put it in my eBay watch list and looking at it a short while later the price was now £129.99.  So there's some kind of software that does that when the item is watched, presumably in the hope the customer would just click to buy without checking.  No way Jose' lol.

3 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Determined not to be scammed with stuff like this (we don't easily part with brass in Yorkshire) I check and check again.  The other day I saw something I was interested in, price was £9.99 (definitely) put it in my eBay watch list and looking at it a short while later the price was now £129.99.  So there's some kind of software that does that when the item is watched, presumably in the hope the customer would just click to buy without checking.  No way Jose' lol.

If sellers are low on stock or out of stock on an item they will often show stock but put up the price temporarily to discourage buyers. This way they maintain their position on the eBay listings. If they were to allow the listing to end the new listing could be several pages down in a search. I would hope that it is unlikely that a seller would take advantage of anyone who inadvertently bought at the higher price but I guess some might. It's really just a way of getting around eBay's logarithms. 

17 minutes ago, stegra said:

If sellers are low on stock or out of stock on an item they will often show stock but put up the price temporarily to discourage buyers. This way they maintain their position on the eBay listings. If they were to allow the listing to end the new listing could be several pages down in a search. I would hope that it is unlikely that a seller would take advantage of anyone who inadvertently bought at the higher price but I guess some might. It's really just a way of getting around eBay's logarithms. 

I think you are going off on a tangent! ?

• Haha 1

I got scammed at Tescos

2 fit looking ladies approached me in the carpark and asked for a lift to another supermarket.

I duly obliged and they both got in the back.

We had barely left the carpark when they started kissing each other. We hadn't got very far before they asked me to pull over and invited me to join them on the back seat. While one of them had her wicked way with me, I later realised the other had stolen my wallet out of my jacket pocket.

This happened last Monday, Wednesday and twice on Friday.

Oh, I feel so used.

Watch out guys, these dreadful people are out to scam you.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I think you are going off on a tangent! ?

There are sines of that, yes.

5 hours ago, Bee said:

I've never been fooled by some Nigerian  prince, far too clever for that!

Did you hear about the Nigerian prince who dies and left £40m to Battersea Dogs' Home?

He tried to give it away first, but nobody would answer his emails...

6 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I could do with some of those! Any recommendations of where to get some from? ?

Back in the spring there were any number on E Bay. You really need the plastic box to go wiith them. Sometime in early June I used the box while I was doing some touching up of my paint. Due to an oversight I didn't get around to cleaning the brushes until early September. They were still perfectly usable and cleaned up in minutes. No hint of them going hard. Obviously they only work with oil based paint.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

What have logarithms to do with trigonometry?

It's a powerful concept.

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle! ?

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle! ?

Now you are being obtuse!

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

What have logarithms to do with trigonometry?

It's a powerful concept.

Logarithms!  There's a blast from the past.  Anyway, I doubt if eBay uses them.  I think there's a bit of dyslexia going on here.

Sign in to follow this