Best way to do broad locks single-handed?

stort_mark

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Keep a short shaft on the roof so you can push off the opposite wall to bring the boat back to the side.

I’ve got one but it’s still a faff. Also the lock ladders are often where you don’t really want the boat anyway. It’s just easier to step off with a line.

JP

54 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’ve got one but it’s still a faff. Also the lock ladders are often where you don’t really want the boat anyway. It’s just easier to step off with a line.

JP

A ‘faff’ is probably the best way to describe doing big locks. 

All do able, but a faff. 

(It don’t help dropping the rope when doing a big lock, then having to wait for the boat to drift to one side or the other, hoping it drifts to the side with the ladder. ?)

Edited by Goliath
When the boats at the bottom
  • Greenie 1

I normally step off with a centre line if possible when coming in to a wide or narrow lock.  In a wide lock I'll put a few turns round a bollard, close the gate and then start raising a paddle on the side the boat is. If it is a lock I'm not familiar with then I'll raise the paddle slowly to see what the water does, if the boat is pinned to the wall I'll open it fully. Sometimes I'll then do the other side, depends if I can be bothered or not.

When going down sometimes I'll pull the boat out, close the gate and get back on or I might descend the ladder and drive out then close the gate, generally this depends on whether there is a bollard to hold the boat on below the gates of whether I have to keep hold of the centre line whilst closing the gate.

I think this sort of shows there isn't one method to use for all locks.

• Greenie 1

My technique:

Downhill: enter as slowly as possible and as close as possible to the side wall. Alight boat with centre-rope, bring to a stop, and leave rope loosely on the ground. Empty lock, exit and close up.

Uphill: enter as slowly as possible and as close to the side as possible, taking note of the ladder position. I usually alight the boat from the roof onto the ladder, taking the centre rope with me (I always use a belt to store my windlass so remain hands-free). Tie centre rope to central bollard. Fill the lock from the paddles on the side of the boat and use the opposite side paddles if you're in a hurry, or need them open to achieve a level. Adjust tension on centre rope as necessary to keep the boat against the side. Exit lock and close up.

• Greenie 1