DESPERATE FOR SOME BMC ADVICE

Featured Posts

hI GUYS

there is no return back to the tank and looking at the boat layout and the tank and hoses its never had one in its life... Filter housing has a feed in from the lift pump, a feed out to the injector pump, a return from the injector pump and there a blank in the return port..

Spill pipes from the injectors return back to the top of the filter housing with a banjo bolt and copper washers...

Had it running again last night but its very poorly in so many ways.. I put my rubber hose straight onto pipe that feeds the filter head by passing the lift pump.. The pipe just snapped off in my hand close to the lift pump so that may have been a possible issue. i primed all the system got all the air out the injectors it crank and cranks but just wont pick up easy give it a sniff of wd40 and it fires to life, it doesent stall now after reving it up but it smokes like crazy and it sounds like a bag of spanners being dragged behind a dust cart..

The water pump shat itself and water leaked every where. Theres been a previous weld to the block looks like its cracked at some point water is also leaking out of here..

Pulled the dip stick on what was fresh oil and theres all metal fragments floating around in the oil of what looks to me to be fragments of big end bearing or mains...

Decided its best to pull the plug on this one i can see its going to be one thing after another and with a welded block that still leaks i really dont want to spend my hard earned cash on a heavy boat anchor...

Bits are pretty hard to find now for the 2.2 if it was a 1.5 or 1.8 than parts are plenty.........

Thank you to every one for there kind help just a shame my little bmc has had a hard life in previous times...

Tanks for the feedback, sorry about the outcome.

For your information: Some small Volvo-Penta diesels did not have a return to the tank from the filter head and this may apply to some other makes but ALL BMCs do. The filter head should have a small (say 7/16" AF) hollow banjo bolt it it. This bolt either fits through a single banjo withy the injector leak off pipe in one side and the return to the tank on the other or a longer bolt that fits through two banjos, one on the leak off and one on the return to the tank.

2 hours ago, BMC ON L PLATES said:

I put my rubber hose straight onto pipe that feeds the filter head by passing the lift pump.. The pipe just snapped off in my hand close to the lift pump so that may have been a possible issue.

I bet this was the source of the air.

A pipe so corroded it broke under the trivial force of pushing a rubber tube over it was almost certainly porous already.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Tanks for the feedback, sorry about the outcome.

For your information: Some small Volvo-Penta diesels did not have a return to the tank from the filter head and this may apply to some other makes but ALL BMCs do. The filter head should have a small (say 7/16" AF) hollow banjo bolt it it. This bolt either fits through a single banjo withy the injector leak off pipe in one side and the return to the tank on the other or a longer bolt that fits through two banjos, one on the leak off and one on the return to the tank.

On my domestic boiler at home I had a thing called a Tiger Loop to return excess oil to the feed line but remove air on the way.

Capture.JPG

It's a shame really but I just feel I'll be wasting good money on bad. Parts are mega hard to source for the 2.2 bmc compared to 1.5 and 1.8..

It's in a river cruiser and it hangs out the deck a fair way so I'm thinking it would be best to remove the engine and go to a out board set up on the transom. 

Thanks again every one for the help and advice at least I managed to get it going just to see the outcome...

I was going to break for spares is there much want for bmc spares ? 

Rob 

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 14:33, ditchcrawler said:

On my domestic boiler at home I had a thing called a Tiger Loop to return excess oil to the feed line but remove air on the way.

Capture.JPG

Your Tiger Loop does something entirely different to feeding excess oil. It uses the burner delivery pump to raise oil from a lower tank, overcoming a negative head. It would be interesting to see whether it could be utilised to use the injector pump in a similar fashion, obviating the need for a lift pump.

30 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Your Tiger Loop does something entirely different to feeding excess oil. It uses the burner delivery pump to raise oil from a lower tank, overcoming a negative head. It would be interesting to see whether it could be utilised to use the injector pump in a similar fashion, obviating the need for a lift pump.

Does it? 

Despite being a qualified 'oil combustion engineer' (apparently), I was never able to establish exactly what a tiger loop did, or how it did it. I hold the oil pump in a PJ burner can suck oil up from a tank at a lower height with or without a £60 aluminium casting in the way.

Back in those days it was marketed as a device to save the installer running a return line all the way back to the oil tank. I never understood why one could not just tee it into the flow line. 

Nowadays tiger loops appear to claim to separate air. Again, I can't see quite how without an air vent!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Does it? 

Despite being a qualified 'oil combustion engineer' (apparently), I was never able to establish exactly what a tiger loop did, or how it did it. I hold the oil pump in a PJ burner can suck oil up from a tank at a lower height with or without a £60 aluminium casting in the way.

Back in those days it was marketed as a device to save the installer running a return line all the way back to the oil tank. I never understood why one could not just tee it into the flow line. 

Nowadays tiger loops appear to claim to separate air. Again, I can't see quite how without an air vent!

Well I have binned mine now as the boilers gone byt I thought there was a float inside and a vent in the very top to let the air out if the float dropped

9 hours ago, BMC ON L PLATES said:

It's a shame really but I just feel I'll be wasting good money on bad. Parts are mega hard to source for the 2.2 bmc compared to 1.5 and 1.8..

It's in a river cruiser and it hangs out the deck a fair way so I'm thinking it would be best to remove the engine and go to a out board set up on the transom. 

Thanks again every one for the help and advice at least I managed to get it going just to see the outcome...

I was going to break for spares is there much want for bmc spares ? 

Rob 

Stick it on eBay with decent description and it'll sell. Does it come with gear box, prop,  out drive ? Someone will buy it and you'll get some money to put to the outboard.