River Nene Conditions

JohnB

Featured Posts

Does anybody on the river have any idea what the flow rate and levels are really like at present on the the Nene.

We (and another boat) are hoping to get down to Northampton and along the river very soon.

There is a SSA on at the moment but the levels and flood warnings on the catchment maps show  green.

What are our chances of getting through?

Your insurance will be invalid and the weirs can be nasty when there's an SSA. The low bridge height also adds to the problems. As previous comment has also pointed out, some of the locks are chained open so are unuseable. The Nene is often on SSA, boaters have to be patient! You can sign up for notifications on your phone/email which we found helpful, see here:  https://www.gov.uk/check-river-conditions-and-closures

20 hours ago, JohnB said:

Does anybody on the river have any idea what the flow rate and levels are really like at present on the the Nene.

We (and another boat) are hoping to get down to Northampton and along the river very soon.

There is a SSA on at the moment but the levels and flood warnings on the catchment maps show  green.

What are our chances of getting through?

Red Flags are still flying but the river levels OK Northampton end-as far as Doddington lock anyhow which is still reversed (on Sunday afternoon anyhow-but wasnt actually letting any floodwater water through).

SSA should be off very soon-waiting for Peterborough end to finish going down.

Watch out on the bridge before White Mills-obvious bit of tree across left hand side as you approach from Northampton and there is also more submerged on the right hand side.

Heading down the Great Ouse last week I was caught off guard when I had to take a sharp left into the lock with the weir going pretty much straight on. I knew the layout that was coming because I'd been through upstream a few weeks before, but what looked like a steady flow as I was tootling down the river suddenly became a lot faster as I approached the weir. Misjudged it a bit and think I came round the corner just slightly too fast. The weir pulled me across and I side slammed the concrete corner and proceeded to smack the other corner with the bow. As I rammed the prop into reverse in a (failed) attempt to slow down it felt like one of those moments that could have turned out quite badly but got away with just a few things falling over inside, all material, none human. 

Thank you all

Based on advice from EA we headed down to Northampton yesterday afternoon and the river was completely calm.

Anyhow we made fine progress today and sure enough the SSA came off as we were travelling.

I presume the bits of tree at the bridge were the cause for the closure  but I know four boat have threaded their way through.

I think the conditions for boating today have been  among the most pleasant we have had on the Nene.

• Greenie 1

Yes  it came on  just after  we left Wansford station mooring and were passing through the next lock, but there was  no chance of passing Alwalton  as the weir below was chucking it out  many feet into the air! and there is a right big whirlpool over the shallows.

and it's still on a week later:-(

There are two of us still stuck here --- Not sure how we will cope if this coming weather dumps a lot of water.