Great canal journeys

frangar

Featured Posts

Indeed it was a moving episode.  As much asit is sad there journeys may be ending on the canal and TV there is joy to be had in the memories they must have of the decades of boating they have had. 

We all must enjoy what we have today and make sure we generate happy memories.

• Greenie 1

I enjoyed watching it last night, we actually passed them just outside banbury when they were filming it.   Was a bit emotional in places.

Spoils the illusion when you see the two boats involved as well as the 15 people behind the scenes of film crew directors and some friends who were helping them boat.      They were just mooring up (we had come down from Croperdy and seen the reserved mooring signs by the lock) about a mile from the Banbury itself.  I tried to get the ships dog to sit up on the cabin top so we might get a chance to be on film.   Dog was not playing ball, but we waved as we passed and got a nod from Tim.

I watched last Sunday's Oxford Canal programme and couldn't help noticing that the green-fronted boat moored just in front of Tim and Pru's boat in Banbury was Lily Rose. We moored there in late April/early May twice (3 nights in total) and I saw a bit of filming (with no sign of the owners) as I walked past to go food shopping. At the time I didn't know it was their boat or what the filming was for. I was not there when they set off but saw them start to pass our boat when I watched the programme.

They managed to avoid hitting Lily Rose. Which was nice.

• Happy 1

58 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I watched last Sunday's Oxford Canal programme and couldn't help noticing that the green-fronted boat moored just in front of Tim and Pru's boat in Banbury was Lily Rose. We moored there in late April/early May twice (3 nights in total) and I saw a bit of filming (with no sign of the owners) as I walked past to go food shopping. At the time I didn't know it was their boat or what the filming was for. I was not there when they set off but saw them start to pass our boat when I watched the programme.

They managed to avoid hitting Lily Rose. Which was nice.

Don't worry, he probably hit Lily Rose on the way back. ??

Do you think the recent spate of canal programmes has encouraged people to give it a go?  I was wondering with all the emphasis on being green etc, is it greener for a family of 4 to fly somewhere for their weeks holiday, or cruise on a narrowboat for a week?

I’ve enjoyed watching the previous series, both UK and international ones. However I got the impression that this last series was a bit more maudlin and that’s not what I look for in entertainment.

A friend told me he had to give up after ten minutes which rather supported my view.

I would love to think my wife and I will still be boating into our late eighties, and all credit to them for not giving up.