Folding bike

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, cougie said:

I think the Bromptons on eBay under £400 aren't going to be £400 by the time the auction has finished. Also they're a good few years old. 

That may well be the case, but if you look into items sold, quite a few a sold for between £250 and £400.  On the question of age, our two Bromptons are well over twenty years old, and whilst they may not have some of the newer inovations, they have been properly maintained and are as reliable as a nearly new one.

35 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I'm not sure who could live with any less than three bikes!

Another believer in the n+1 equation.

The number of bikes you need = n+1, where n is the number of bikes you have.

Fortunately, the storage capacity of a boat puts an upper limit to n.

Jen ?

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen ?

Sadly so. I can think of plenty of other bikes I'd be filling my boat with.

20 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen ?

Unless you buy a butty! ?

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen ?

Same equation applies to boats, in my personal experience.

19 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

there are plenty of basic ones on ebay for less than £400.

As I post, the cheapest “Buy It Now” is £555, and anything sub £400, on auction, has at least 2 days left to run, so won’t be that price when the hammer falls.  

1 hour ago, The Dreamer said:

As I post, the cheapest “Buy It Now” is £555, and anything sub £400, on auction, has at least 2 days left to run, so won’t be that price when the hammer falls.  

I spent ages a few months ago looking and waiting for a decent second hand Brompton and none went for less than £500 / £600. Any cheaper were rubbish.

I ended up buying the new Brompton B75 for £745 - which is ideal for what I use it for. No mudguards on this version but I never use it in the rain anyway. 

Ok on most dry towpaths - no good if muddy - but as I said I wouldn't use it if it was too wet anyway.

For me the smaller compact folding size is ideal to fit in the boat. I knew if I got a bigger one I would end up taking it back home as it would be in my way on the boat.

BMP

59 minutes ago, bmp said:

I spent ages a few months ago looking and waiting for a decent second hand Brompton and none went for less than £500 / £600. Any cheaper were rubbish.

I ended up buying the new Brompton B75 for £745 - which is ideal for what I use it for. No mudguards on this version but I never use it in the rain anyway. 

Ok on most dry towpaths - no good if muddy - but as I said I wouldn't use it if it was too wet anyway.

For me the smaller compact folding size is ideal to fit in the boat. I knew if I got a bigger one I would end up taking it back home as it would be in my way on the boat.

BMP

We clearly have a lot of cash tied up in our two Bromptons which although more than twenty years old are in excellent condition. Not selling them though, they are very handy for days out on cycle paths, and for getting around towns when we go to France.

Edited by David Schweizer

Another vote from mee for the Dahon, I got mine around 3 years ago, for use from the boat, purchased from eBay for around £200. 

It has 18 gears, has a good ride position,  comfy enough for  2  - 4 hours ride, after that it's not the bike that's the problem!

Rides on the towpath fine, based on my ownership experience I couldn't fault the  build quality and it's not overly heavy. 

On 20/10/2019 at 20:18, Mike the Boilerman said:

Has anyone here actually used a Brompton regularly on a muddy towpath? 

They are excellent for tarmac surfaces but I'd have thought they were quite difficult to stay upright in mud. 

Yes I have

What's your point? :giggles:

Edited by magpie patrick

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Same equation applies to boats, in my personal experience.

I work on r+1, where "r" denotes "record".

We bought one of Raleigh's "Ikea" folding bikes about five years ago, never used, a bargain at £90. At Christmas 2006, Ikea had given their employees bicycles instead of a monetary bonus, to encourage them to cycle to and from work and get fit. As you can guess, quite a few of their employees sold their bikes on eBay. I don't know if they're still turning up on there but, if so, they're worth a look.

EDIT: two sold on eBay this month, both around £90, but none on offer at the moment.

Edited by Athy