“Experienced” American couple looking for holiday suggestions

tipton1947

Featured Posts

We are an American couple with narrowboating “experience”. We have completed two trips on the Llangollen Canal.

We think that we would like to have another narrowboat adventure in 2020. We are looking for suggestions for a 10 day or so trip. A ring would be nice, but no narrowboat on a river! Our interests include, but are not limited to: castles, gardens, steam trains, trout fishing, and history. We are both. 72 years old.

Any suggestions?

The 4 counties ring is a good one for 10days. It has a mix of industrial areas and nice countryside. A minor diversion will take you to Wightwick Manor a beautiful arts and crafts house on the edge of Wolverhampton. Plenty of hire bases on the ring - Napton Narrowboats at Autherley, Black Prince at Stole, Anglo Welsh at Great Haywood, Andersen Boats at Middlewich are a few to consider.

An alternative would be to hire at Great Hayood and do the the full length of the Staffs and Worcester canal with the Severn Valley Railway at Kidderminster plus Wightwick Manor. If you hired from Autherley you could go down to Stourport and then back to base via Stourbridge and the Black country museum.

Other people will come up with different ideas - relax and enjoy looking at the options.

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, tipton1947 said:

but no narrowboat on a river!

That’s a shame as I would highly recommend the Avon Ring.  Several hire bases are on the ring (two ABC, two Anglo Welsh, a Black Prince, and at least one independent) and plenty to see, especially in terms of Shakespeare, as well as the magnificent Worcester Cathedral (pronounced “Wooster” this side of the pond!) and some great countryside.  The River Avon is nothing to worry about, it is very calm, and you would only be doing a 17 mile stretch of the Severn, with just one (manned) lock.  Plenty of hirers do this ring, and it’s very doable in 10 days.

Edited by The Dreamer

Maybe a bit more than 10 days, but do the 4 counties ring and include a trip down the Caldon Canal. This does involve a short river section but its usually very tame. With luck you can moor right next to a steam railway, but do check dates as it mostly runs at weekends.

You actually have to cross the railway to get to the pub.

..............Dave

26 minutes ago, tipton1947 said:

Any suggestions?

Yes: you're old hands now with relevant experience - come back every year and kick the arse out of the idea whilst: a.  you're young and fit; b. the pound sterling is in a bag and your dollar goes a long, long way; and c. Greta wotsername hasn't yet got flying banned (although you could come over on a carbon fibre racing yacht and fly the whole crew back as it seemed to work for her). 

Now we've established all that, you need info for at least 10 more trips so more or less all of the previous and following ideas are a possibility!  Plus, you'll soon be confident enough to do a bit of benign river, of which there are a few to consider, even if it's only a brief transit like the half day up the River Severn from Worcester to Stourport: I love the area this brings into play, and you'll have to be a bit unlucky for the river to not be navigigable in your window of opportunity - you certainly won't get caught out on it if you have even half an eye on the weather. This experience under your belt would bring the Avon Ring, a nice 10 days or so, into future consideration. Another consideration for your first river experience though, would be to take the Anderton Lift (Wow! How awesome would that be!) down to the gentle and lovely River Weaver. 

Anyway, til you're confident, I'd do whichever route you fancy that allows you to take in the awesome Black Country Living Museum.  I reckon it would be right up your street and a memory you'd carry forever thereafter.  Plus, if you don't like the fish and chips there, you simply don't like fish and chips, and If you don't like the beer in the old pub there, there's lots more opportunity to enjoy awesome beer in the surrounding area. Plan to spend 2 nights there to give you a full day in the place and the opportunity to nip back in to catch anything you missed the next morning!

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really? Is that what happened?

<shock horror at the hypocrisy>

Plus, the bloke who provided the yacht is the squillionaire owner of the largest private helicopter fleet in Europe. How green is that? 

Thanks for the feedback! With your input we looked further at the Four Counties Ring. It looks like it would do the trick for us. However, if possible, we think that we would opt for 14 days rather than 10 days. Leisurely is our thing!

We would be looking at a June timeframe.

What would be the most convenient access point to the ring based on coming from London on public transportation? We would plan on spending the night somewhere relatively near the marina so that we could get groceries and such sorted out well before going on board the boat.

Any other suggestions. 

24 minutes ago, tipton1947 said:

relatively near the marina so that we could get groceries and such sorted out well before going on board the boat.

Set. Up an account with Tesco, or one of the other supermarkets, and get your groceries delivered...

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Why from London?, Manchester

Or Birmingham and pick up a boat from Napton?

Napton Narrowboats base at Autherley is a short taxi ride from Wolverhampton railway station. You could fly into Birmingham and there is a direct train to Wolverhampton which takes about 40minutes. There is also a nearby supermarket.

On a two week holiday you would have time to enjoy a side trip up the Caldon canal or to the Black Country Living Museum and to visit Wightwick Manor https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wightwick-manor-and-gardens

There is also the Wedgwood museum and other potteries in Stoke on Trent

Relax and enjoy the trip to my mind the planning is part of the experience.

Thanks for the further feedback and fixing my geographical cluelessness! Birmingham has never really been on my mental map of the UK. I have now looked at a real map and have a much better fix on the big cities! We did fly into Manchester on our second trip. I have some books on order and will be back with more questions.

4 hours ago, tipton1947 said:

Thanks for the further feedback and fixing my geographical cluelessness! Birmingham has never really been on my mental map of the UK. I have now looked at a real map and have a much better fix on the big cities! We did fly into Manchester on our second trip. I have some books on order and will be back with more questions.

As an addition to Richard T's post 12 you could visit the Kinver rock houses which are not far from Wightwick manor (pronounced Witick). https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kinver-edge-and-the-rock-houses

https://www.google.com/search?q=kinver+rock+houses&rlz=1C1AOHY_en-GBGB775GB808&sxsrf=ACYBGNRus6RDH-lUgbyO4xGWr0EHhbG8eg:1571944512734&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=_dz3nqa29S9Y2M%3A%2CSosO2Aaqvan-UM%2C_&vet=1&usg=K_FAinCTjH9BPC1NCk0ZMdDovgERo%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjW0abSzbXlAhV8VRUIHZ1FDxYQuqIBMBN6BAgQEAY&biw=1280&bih=845#imgrc=_dz3nqa29S9Y2M:&vet=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=wightwick+manor&rlz=1C1AOHY_en-GBGB775GB808&sxsrf=ACYBGNSB75A0Oc6YpKIfVoXfUIIEPspuYA:1571945308389&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=4K_Oe_6JkudDuM%3A%2CF4z99zZfnr5DmM%2C_&vet=1&usg=K_GjdQLV22q98ZVWcvi0vqGpgr2Os%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj41NnN0LXlAhXIRMAKHbgzCs4QuqIBMA16BAgLEAY&biw=1280&bih=845#imgrc=4K_Oe_6JkudDuM:&vet=1

Edited by Flyboy

On 20/10/2019 at 18:41, dmr said:

Maybe a bit more than 10 days, but do the 4 counties ring and include a trip down the Caldon Canal. This does involve a short river section but its usually very tame. With luck you can moor right next to a steam railway, but do check dates as it mostly runs at weekends.

You actually have to cross the railway to get to the pub.

..............Dave

I’d recommend spending 10 days on the Caldon. 

21 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’d recommend spending 10 days on the Caldon. 

Yeah, and five days of those spent at the pub watching the steam trains go past.

................Dave

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yeah, and five days of those spent at the pub watching the steam trains go past.

................Dave

Well yea,

A holiday is supposed to be relaxing isn’t it? 

Maybe hire at Sherborne Wharf, Birmingham, and spend 10 days in the Flapper. 

To the OP: Why not come over and join the Explorer Cruise around the BCN? Details are on the BCNS website. You’ll meet people, get to see where lock gates are made and experience a good introduction to an history of the canals. 

Edited by Goliath

26 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Well yea,

A holiday is supposed to be relaxing isn’t it? 

Maybe hire at Sherborne Wharf, Birmingham, and spend 10 days in the Flapper. 

To the OP: Why not come over and join the Explorer Cruise around the BCN? Details are on the BCNS website. You’ll meet people, get to see where lock gates are made and experience a good introduction to an history of the canals. 

The Flapper closes for good in January and as we are now on the Rochdale we will not be able to do a final visit.

How could a labour council shut down a popular young (ish) peoples pub/music venue/cultural centre just so a property developer can get richer???

The idea of hire boats doing the BCN cruise is just great. How about several organised cruises for hire boats????

..............Dave

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

The Rochdale, there’s a challenge. 

Shire Cruises from Sowerby Bridge?

In 10 days you can do the ring from Shire at Sowerby of the HNC and the Rochdale, we did exactly that two years ago and it was fantastic. Might be a bit hard work for two 72 year olds though, more than 200 locks IIRC ?

11 hours ago, IanD said:

In 10 days you can do the ring from Shire at Sowerby of the HNC and the Rochdale, we did exactly that two years ago and it was fantastic. Might be a bit hard work for two 72 year olds though, more than 200 locks IIRC ?

Hard work but, as you say, fantastic. 

How about Barnoldswick to Sowerby?

using Shire Crusing. 

That route goes through beautiful scenery and places of an historic interest. 

Not too many locks.  A bit of river. 

Plenty of swing bridges. 

Edited by Goliath

43 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Hard work but, as you say, fantastic. 

How about Barnoldswick to Sowerby?

using Shire Crusing. 

That route goes through beautiful scenery and places of an historic interest. 

Not too many locks.  A bit of river. 

Plenty of swing bridges. 

Also takes you through the not-so-delightful section via Leeds/Castleford/Wakefield/Dewsbury... ?

Given their stated preferences the Four Counties and the Caldon can easily be done in 10 days (we did just that from Napton Narrowboats at Autherley, who have some very nice hire boats), or 14 if they want to take it easier. If they time it correctly so they end up at Consall Forge at the weekend they can enjoy both the fantastic Black Lion pub and the Churnet Valley steam railway...

I always wondered what Jimi Hendrix meant when he wrote "have you ever been experienced?".

There's a site for that, but it doesn't shed much light on it as far as I can see:

https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/18301/

Now I know, he was an American living in London for a while, so I suppose he went canal boating.

If the song really was about being open-minded as some say, I hope he did so away from London as, interesting though the London canals can be, there are plenty of other good places to go to. He'd have to watch that barnet of his going under low bridges anywhere of course.