Stirrup (or similar) pump wanted

frahkn

Featured Posts

As title.

I have been looking for an easily stored hand pump for emergency use, say when the shower whale fails or similar.

I had assumed that this would be a simple task but I can't find on at a reasonable price.

Any ideas?

Not cheap but is robust - however, 'easily stored' depends on your definition.................. I always found room on all the boats I have owned, and always found it useful for a variety of uses

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/oil-extractor-pump-37774.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5qy12ICr5QIVxYayCh0liwBPEAQYAiABEgL6sfD_BwE

58 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Not cheap but is robust - however, 'easily stored' depends on your definition.................. I always found room on all the boats I have owned, and always found it useful for a variety of uses

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/oil-extractor-pump-37774.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5qy12ICr5QIVxYayCh0liwBPEAQYAiABEgL6sfD_BwE

Hi Mike,

I have one of those and very useful it is too but I want a pump which I can use to get water off the boat (rather than store it).

14 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Hi Mike,

I have one of those and very useful it is too but I want a pump which I can use to get water off the boat (rather than store it).

Suck it up then pour it overboard?

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Suck it up then pour it overboard?

Yes, of course but wouldn't it be simpler to just pump it overboard in one go? Simpler or not, this is what I'm looking to do should the occasion arise.

Here you go - not the most ideal, but....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Hand-Pump-Water/dp/B00JF2K74I

If the link works as it did for me, the LH hand pump is what you asked for and it works reasonably well for moderate quantities of water (10 gallons or so) but your hand will ache I have one. The second pump fits on a drill and will save you a lot of energy - if you have a corded or bayyert drill.

The third one fits garden hose type pipe.

edit: The third one is if you have a Gardner engine or person... 

The forth has it's own batteries and you'll probably need lots.

Sorted.

Edited by OldGoat

7 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Here you go - not the most ideal, but....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Hand-Pump-Water/dp/B00JF2K74I

If the link works as it did for me, the LH hand pump is what you asked for and it works reasonably well for moderate quantities of water (10 gallons or so) but your hand will ache I have one. The second pump fits on a drill and will save you a lot of energy - if you have a corded or bayyert drill.

The third one fits garden hose type pipe.

edit: The third one is if you have a Gardner engine or person... 

The forth has it's own batteries and you'll probably need lots.

Sorted.

Judging from the description and from several of the reviews, the LH "pump" is is a syphon. If it is then it's no use to me as the external water level will always be higher than the point from which I'm pumping.

Perhaps I'm misreading.

9 hours ago, frahkn said:

Judging from the description and from several of the reviews, the LH "pump" is is a syphon. If it is then it's no use to me as the external water level will always be higher than the point from which I'm pumping.

Perhaps I'm misreading.

Don't shoot the messenger - I was  only trying to help....

I've used my one as a pump and it works.

IIRC the action was a bit clunky - there's a strong spring which returns the handle and being small I found that it barked my nuccles . I ue it to dcant a 20 l oil drum into 5 l containers and it was uncomfortable - but it worked

It may be the lister is trying to cover as many uses as he could.

In the final anaylsis you get what you pay for....

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Don't shoot the messenger - I was  only trying to help....

I've used my one as a pump and it works.

IIRC the action was a bit clunky - there's a strong spring which returns the handle and being small I found that it barked my nuccles . I ue it to dcant a 20 l oil drum into 5 l containers and it was uncomfortable - but it worked

It may be the lister is trying to cover as many uses as he could.

In the final anaylsis you get what you pay for....

Sorry, I absolutely did not mean it that way, please consider yourself un-shot.

I only want the pump for unlikely emergencies, say my wife is showering and the whale fails while she is covered in soap. Not exactly life threatening but I promise, it could become so for me if I couldn't control the situation while she finished.

If you say that it worked as a pump for you, that's fine for me.

6 hours ago, tree monkey said:

This would of course be after 10 minutes of giggling at said wife/partner. 

I like to live dangerously 

I imagine there is risk involved in tree surgery and that a certain amount (a lot probably) of nerve is required. 

I doubt if you want to live that dangerously but of course I might be wrong. 

Anyway, I am quite certain that I do not!!

• Greenie 1

On 20/10/2019 at 13:18, frahkn said:

As title.

I have been looking for an easily stored hand pump for emergency use, say when the shower whale fails or similar.

I had assumed that this would be a simple task but I can't find on at a reasonable price.

Any ideas?

If you are that worried about it, fit another gulper in parallel with the existing one and switch the wires over if the first one fails.

Or get a square bucket ...

Edited by TheBiscuits