Battery State on MPPT changed from Bulk to Off?

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

That is incredibly bad practice, bordering on the criminal.

No, it is criminal! What happens when someone mistakenly plugs in a mains voltage shore lead to your solar panel system!

I thought, though could be wrong, that the solar cabling passes through the shore line socket, leaving the shoreline socket connected as normal. Though either way, it is far from ideal.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

It will work because the panel ground connection on the MPPT controller will be internal,y connected to the battery -ve connector. With the battery -ve connector being connected to hull. And the panel -ve being connected to hull, you have a circuit. Albeit an incredibly bad way to do it and non-compliant with BSS.

Yep, finally figured it out....keep reading

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I thought, though could be wrong, that the solar cabling passes through the shore line socket, leaving the shoreline socket connected as normal. Though either way, it is far from ideal.

Yep, finally figured it out....keep reading

Yes could be right. And yes, I was so incensed I jumped the gun!

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whilst it is 'incredibly bad', it is still BSS compliant as it is only an 'advisory'.

I do believe however that it is against the RCD requirements.

Well that still makes it non compliant with the BSS. I did say non-compliant, I didn’t say it was a fail point. Anyway, I think we both know what we mean!

The worry is how many other installations has this guy done that are as equally poor ? 

Unfortunately Ive come across many a good mechanic that I wouldn’t let change a bulb but are whizzes with spanners.... 

Perhaps these chaps are good at boat mechanics and systems but are clearly lacking on solar and basic marine electrical installs 

Edited by jonathanA

40 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Did you ring Pete after I gave you his number?

Literally on my list tomorrow! We ended up going Calder & hebble Nav for work related stuff and I was worried that was too far for him - however we are making our way back along Rochdale (and we know Chorley because we bought out boat from there! We even did some work on it at botany bay!)