1905 26 x 5 metre Dutch Barge

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No connection - just found the advert.

Lizzy is an original Dutch Barge, built in 1905.  After a life working on the Canals, she was sailed to Guernsey in 2014 and fitted out to become the luxury home that she is today.

https://gezinaelizabeth.co.uk/

From the ad:

It's a Lifestyle Choice

Lizzy is where Luxury  meets History, with all the perks of Modern Living.

Her imposing exterior beauty, hints at the stunning interior within. 

Lizzy offers the opportunity of an impressive, yet warm, cosy and appealing home for someone looking for a truly magical way of life.

Cor blimey, what a load of old toss!

• Haha 1

Hull speed for a displacement vessel is around 1.34 X sqrt WLL. 

Metric and knots. 

The barge is 26m which gives a theoretical hull speed (the speed at which the bow wave starts to meet the stern wave) of 12 knots which is 13.8mph. 

Not quite sure if barges have the same formula but 6 knots for a long one does seem quite slow as a maximum speed. 

This is a Hagenaar type barge often described as a motor aak having been originally built as a sailing barge. Ours was the same type built by the same yard but in 1917.

they were very lightly built but with the ribs only about 18 inches apart so strong enough. Looking at the photos on their website it has the same problems as ours which you would expect in a ship over 100 years old and they say it has been doubled which is also to be expected. There is no anti cavitation plates over the prop so 6 knots may be its max speed.

they make no mention of it having a triwv certificate and if this is correct it could not be used on the continent without one and after the end of this year to get one it would need a new engine to meet emissions standards. 
it’s a 120 year old boat with a tarted up interior and I suspect an expensive mooring but it may be a cheap house in guernsey.

I was told about someone who bought a 25m+ barge in Holland and they were not allowed to pass through the sea lock to bring it to UK because it did not have the TRIWV. 

Effectively it is illegal to use it in Holland even if you are attempting to remove it from the country. Apparently police were involved.

So they end up with a huge bill probably including new engine and all other systems or scrap the boat. There appears to be no other way to get it to the UK even though in the UK all it would need would be a BS certificate and 3rd party insurance if used on inland waterways. 

Edited by magnetman

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There appears to be no other way to get it to the UK even though in the UK all it would need would be a BS certificate and 3rd party insurance if used on inland waterways. 

Would it be possible to lift the 25m barge into the hold of a larger barge with the TRIWV certificate, to pass out through the sea lock? Then unload it in the UK?

The Triwv certificate for boats over 20m or 100 cu m volume is now called es-trin. All boats should have had one by end of last year but this was extended to end of this year as there were 100s in the Nederlands without certificate and not enough qualified surveyors. If they have not got one by the end of this year then they will be treated as new boats which includes engine standards and possibly the position of bulkheads and the Rhine requirements. Very expensive to do to an old hull and probably  not possible. Busy times for scrap men?

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I was told about someone who bought a 25m+ barge in Holland and they were not allowed to pass through the sea lock to bring it to UK because it did not have the TRIWV. 

Effectively it is illegal to use it in Holland even if you are attempting to remove it from the country. Apparently police were involved.

So they end up with a huge bill probably including new engine and all other systems or scrap the boat. There appears to be no other way to get it to the UK even though in the UK all it would need would be a BS certificate and 3rd party insurance if used on inland waterways. 

This is a strange story as in the Nederlands there is an extension till end of year to get a certificate so it should still have been possible to move the barge.

Just what I was told by someone who has two large Dutch barges (28 and 29m) both of which he brought to the UK and one of which is now in Belgium.

He reckons they were prevented from leaving Holland with a non certificated boat. 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 15:38, magnetman said:

Hull speed for a displacement vessel is around 1.34 X sqrt WLL. 

Metric and knots. 

The barge is 26m which gives a theoretical hull speed (the speed at which the bow wave starts to meet the stern wave) of 12 knots which is 13.8mph. 

Not quite sure if barges have the same formula but 6 knots for a long one does seem quite slow as a maximum speed. 

same forumla for barges .... 12kts would be a realistic speed for that vessel, if still in the channel islands if all you can mange is 6kts you would be in danger of going backwards more than forwards.   Some very strong tides in that region (as I am sure some know).     

Side note:  My first Command when I was the grand age of 26, was of 34m LOA, 600gt  Dive "Ship" which was chartered to a "goverment agency".      One of the jobs that we did and I can talk about (the others are so booring I would send people to sleep anyway) was to send dive teams down to inspect the ground tackle of navigation marks..this been cheaper than lifting them out every year, which they did evry 5 years anyway with a much bigger vessel.     The Ships crew used to love doing the channel island runs..meant we could stock up on the duty free, however the dive crew were less enthralled as they had only a short window of opotunity to comlete the tasking.     However they had some nice technical diving to do and we got to sit around in the sun, win win as we could only work during slack water on these tasks!  Win WIn    

My barge which was the same hull shape as this one but only 22m long had a 130hp engine. On a river with good depth and width top speed against very slight summer flow was 14 Klms per hour. Most we ever did was on the Grand Canal Alsace 18 kms on tickover  in a flood, very scary.

for the Triwv certificate the boat should be capable of 13kms per hour and also able to reverse for 1km. Luckily as far as I know this has never been enforced. 
with more powerful engine and the right propeller it may be possible to get higher speeds but the practicality of such an arrangement when struggling along a shallow canal rules out the need for speed on most inland waterway vessels.

21 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

My barge which was the same hull shape as this one but only 22m long had a 130hp engine. On a river with good depth and width top speed against very slight summer flow was 14 Klms per hour. Most we ever did was on the Grand Canal Alsace 18 kms on tickover  in a flood, very scary.

for the Triwv certificate the boat should be capable of 13kms per hour and also able to reverse for 1km. Luckily as far as I know this has never been enforced. 
with more powerful engine and the right propeller it may be possible to get higher speeds but the practicality of such an arrangement when struggling along a shallow canal rules out the need for speed on most inland waterway vessels.

yep if restricted to inland waterways then an over powerful engine is off little point.    However this one is moored in Guernsey which is open sea as soon as you leave the marina.