Laser switch on

Ian F B

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ian F B said:

C.R.T.have just switched on a laser that is capable of shining 7 miles into the night sky to celebrate Diwali.

I am all for cultural engagement, but is this a suitable "spend" of the charities cash?

I don't see a problem with it, given the vast numbers of Hindu narrow boaters on the cut. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ian F B said:

I am all for cultural engagement, but is this a suitable "spend" of the charities cash?

This is only the start of it I predict. In a couple of years they will be spending a seven figure sum trying to increase 'diversity' on the cut.

There is definitely a problem in this department, don't you think?

As a vaguely local boater it does seem rather a waste of money & resources...they even offered to lend boaters lights & inverters to make illuminated boats....however given the soar is in flood it makes it impossible to get to!! The same happened last year too. 

Once again boats are seen as a background for others.  Not impressed! 

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

Is there a link to this so we can see?

No link available,CRT set this up on the Soar in  the city location not given ,as only a short item on East Midlands news.? Google Leicester Diwali laser.

Edited by Ian F B
Info

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is only the start of it I predict. In a couple of years they will be spending a seven figure sum trying to increase 'diversity' on the cut.

There is definitely a problem in this department, don't you think?

For sure. I can't recall ever meeting boat owners who weren't white. Hirers either for that matter. I'm sure there are some, but definitely way below the general population average.

40 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

For sure. I can't recall ever meeting boat owners who weren't white. Hirers either for that matter. I'm sure there are some, but definitely way below the general population average.

Such is life tho....different things appeal to different groups of people. The problems arise when some well meaning but misguided people try to force the issue. 

A friend of mine does live action role playing...a bit like sealed knot for a fantasy world....she’s one of a handful of black players but she doesn’t see that as a problem and nor does anyone else....in the same way I love going to events in Leicester like Diwali & the Mela...there are more white people go now than when we first went 20 years ago but it obviously doesn’t appeal to everyone. 

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

For sure. I can't recall ever meeting boat owners who weren't white. Hirers either for that matter.

I'd say I've met about three non-white people on canal boats in my whole boating career. 

It's the sort of thing I can imagine CRT bosses seizing on to worry about and splurge money on. Most senior managers in non-commercial organisations seem to worry about diversity and feel they need to influence it. 

I think the purpose of the artistic endeavour is to connect the people of the local town to the canals and to advertise CRT to them. CRT are trying to promote the canals and them selves as worthy to people other than just boaters are they not. I think it probably looks very pretty regardless of it's religious affiliation, I mean who doesn't love a pagan christmas tree. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/seven-mile-laser-beam-set-to-soar-above-leicester-as-part-of-our-diwali-celebrations

Why when I hit save did CRT become underlined in my post - I didn't do that?

Edited by Tumshie

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

You missed the experiment I did last week. Didn't ya? WHich also mentioned the festival of light thingy.

Edited by rusty69

11 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Its a new feature of the forum software. Created instead of fixing the known bugs that irritate everyone.

(Hover your mouse over an underlined acronym and the meaning of it pops up.)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Link added (above).

I shall explore :)

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

(Hover your mouse over an underlined acronym and the meaning of it pops up.)

Oh will you look at that - how clever for newbies. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

My extensive experimentation, multiple double blind tests,rigid conformity to known scientific practice concluded that the forum software is only setup with 3 acronyms, CRT, CWDF ,BSS.

WTF?

You're right!!