Advice needed please BROKEN down

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rustydiver said:

Thanks all. 
Been out this morning had had a look in the light of day and there rope tightly wrapped around it all removed now and it seems to go into and out of gear fine now. 
so will carry on with out journey to Gloucester. 
fingers crossed no lasting damage. 
thanks everyone again. 

Excellent news

:)

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, rustydiver said:

Thanks all. 
Been out this morning had had a look in the light of day and there rope tightly wrapped around it all removed now and it seems to go into and out of gear fine now. 
so will carry on with out journey to Gloucester. 
fingers crossed no lasting damage. 
thanks everyone again. 

Was it one of your own ropes?  Really embarrassing when that happens.

...............Dave

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dmr said:

Was it one of your own ropes?  Really embarrassing when that happens.

...............Dave

Shhhh I’ve been keeping it quiet. 

I was my centre rope. I had the canopy up which I never do.  Cos it was raining just slightly ? yesterday it must have been over  the edge of the roof and the rain we had yesterday made it heavy and it just slipped off without me seeing and wrapped itself tightly around the prop shaft. After all these years I never noticed it was to long. ? 

I’ve got two centre ropes one for each side it just so happens it was the side I didn’t need yesterday. 

lessons learnt the embarrassing way. 

Now to cut the bugger down a bit. 
the rope threat went in was a soft type that soaks the water up and gets heavy. 

what’s the ideal length for the rear ropes? Mines a semi trad. 

There I’ve admitted it now. Thanks for your help last night. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, rustydiver said:

The ideal length in 10m in my experience.

The plan is, don't let them fall in the water. Not that difficult, but we all do it once!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Great news, well done.

The ideal length for a centre rope is inches shorter than the distance between where you tie it on to the boat and your prop.

Still capable of being fouled by someone else's prop though, if allowed to fall in the water.

I hold that it is better to not let them fall in, and have them whatever length is good for boat handling. (NOT mooring up!) 

And presumably your stern line is less than 3ft long...?

• Greenie 1

Seen so many boats with stern ropes just lying on the counter just waiting to be kicked over and under.  Stern lines should be coiled and put on the cabin slide, ready for use. Without starting another debate, I used to coil mine over the tiller pin- I don't anymore.

Centre ropes should be just reachable from the steering position and shorter than being able to be caught round the prop if they fall in - Murphy's law says they will.?

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Seen so many boats with stern ropes just lying on the counter just waiting to be kicked over and under.  Stern lines should be coiled and put on the cabin slide, ready for use. Without starting another debate, I used to coil mine over the tiller pin- I don't anymore.

Centre ropes should be just reachable from the steering position and shorter than being able to be caught round the prop if they fall in - Murphy's law says they will.?

That is how mine are, but I can understand some boaters wanting longer centre lines, depends how you actually boat, I wouldn't want to hop off as the boat went into a lock with my centre rope then go up the side of the lock with the rope in hand, I think it may be a bit short in some cases. For the Weaver locks I have to extend them

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, rustydiver said:

I was my centre rope. I had the canopy up which I never do.  Cos it was raining just slightly ? yesterday it must have been over  the edge of the roof and the rain we had yesterday made it heavy and it just slipped off without me seeing and wrapped itself tightly around the prop shaft. After all these years I never noticed it was to long. ? 

I’ve got two centre ropes one for each side it just so happens it was the side I didn’t need yesterday. 

It was setting off in a rush one morning that did for us, a boat had just come up the lock and the lock-keeper was waiting for us so we went rushed and in went the rope. I was amazed at high tightly it had would wound the propshaft and wedges between the boat and stem. It tookover an hour to work it free.

As for centreline length, I am in a minority, ithey need to be long enough to reach the steerer then with enough left to throw it up to crew in a moderately deep lock. This means it can foul the prop, the concept is to not drop it in. Front and rear ropes are a compromise, and about 10 metres is probably good, too long and they get in the way, but they must be long enough to cope with the deeper locks on the Thames.

................Dave

• Greenie 3

A few years ago I wound the stern rope on to the prop of a historic boat whilst reversing, and was keen to avoid hours with a hook or a dip in the River Wey in November.  I'd seen it happening so was holding the rope with the engine running, having managed to get it into neutral.  Fully expecting to be dragged off the boat, I put it in forward - and was astounded to see the rope unwind again as if it was coming off a reel. 

Was there anyone around to be impressed?   'Course not.     

• Haha 1

I was moored at Droitwich and a hire boat came in backwards, threw the stern rope to another hire who missed it and it pulled straight into the prop. once the boat was in there was talk between the hirers and then the one who had the rope round the prop opened the weedhatch and called for the bread knife. At this point I intervened and went down the hatch for him where I managed to unravel a nice brand new mooring line for him.

13 minutes ago, twbm said:

A few years ago I wound the stern rope on to the prop of a historic boat whilst reversing, and was keen to avoid hours with a hook or a dip in the River Wey in November.  I'd seen it happening so was holding the rope with the engine running, having managed to get it into neutral.  Fully expecting to be dragged off the boat, I put it in forward - and was astounded to see the rope unwind again as if it was coming off a reel. 

Was there anyone around to be impressed?   'Course not.     

I've seen the same done when a steerer wound a line round the blades on Scorpio, gentle revs in reverse and the line unwound nicely.

Travelling along quite happily this summer when suddenly there was the most awful; really heavy metallic knocking from the engine. What the hell was that? throttled right back, no warning lights, knocking carried on then stopped. Very worried, this was a terminal, busted crankshaft noise or something, carried on looking for causes, all looked ok. Meanwhile, half a kilometre away the operator of a bloody great piledriver. ground out his fag, put on his ear defenders, pulled a big lever and the machine carried on driving a blasted great pile into the ground. Bee was acting like a great big amplifier and picking up sound waves. Stupid piledriver.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rustydiver said:

Ideal length is just short of the prop. If I need mine longer, v deep lock or whatever I just tie an additional bit on. 

Going back to your original problem, may I suggest that when you check tnings out pay particular attention to your engine mounts. I once picked up a sheet of butyl rubber and whilst it came off after a struggle I later found that It had caused a bolt holding the mounting bracket to the block to sheer. The engine had to come out to extract the broken bolt. 

Just re-read the post that said rear lines. If you meant this ignore first paragraph, I suspect you meant centre line(s)

The point made by ???? about removing the key is essential for ongoing nose picking and similar activities ?

Edited by Slim
  • Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, Bee said:

Travelling along quite happily this summer when suddenly there was the most awful; really heavy metallic knocking from the engine. What the hell was that? throttled right back, no warning lights, knocking carried on then stopped. Very worried, this was a terminal, busted crankshaft noise or something, carried on looking for causes, all looked ok. Meanwhile, half a kilometre away the operator of a bloody great piledriver. ground out his fag, put on his ear defenders, pulled a big lever and the machine carried on driving a blasted great pile into the ground. Bee was acting like a great big amplifier and picking up sound waves. Stupid piledriver.

That's happened to me several times, most recently passing some ground works near to the Main Line.  Sometimes it happens with agricultural machinery too.  These days many of us have quiet engines with hospital silencers etc BITD the noise from the engine would drown out any extraneous sounds.