What water shortage?

David Mack

Featured Posts

Yeh!

Wellesbourne airport, south of Warwick has had 4 times the monthly average rain this October (and we are only just over half way through the month). 160mm so far in October compared to the 400mm for Jan - Sept.

Even the south oxford summit pound had water!

Where were the photos taken David?

54 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yeh!

Wellesbourne airport, south of Warwick has had 4 times the monthly average rain this October (and we are only just over half way through the month). 160mm so far in October compared to the 400mm for Jan - Sept.

Even the south oxford summit pound had water!

here in Suffolk its been 75mm in the last month but the ground water is still low when I look down our well.

6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

One of the problems at the moment is that although it has rained heavily it has been in often short, sudden and sharp showers, and this causes run-off and the water doesn't soak in, so ground water isn't increasing and the water table is still quite low.

Same here down the field across the road and away

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Is it Poolston Locks?

Do you mean Poolstock?  its not, they have funny top paddles inside a vertical square box section, and I think they have gate paddles too, but I reckon its somewhere on the Leeds and Liverpool.

We hope to go up the Rochdale 9 next week so I hope the water flow reduces a lot.

..............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

Do you mean Poolstock?  its not, they have funny top paddles inside a vertical square box section, and I think they have gate paddles too, but I reckon its somewhere on the Leeds and Liverpool.

We hope to go up the Rochdale 9 next week so I hope the water flow reduces a lot.

..............Dave

Yes , Poolstock. 

I think you’re right. I was thinking LeedsLiverpool but they reminded me of Poolstock on the Leigh Branch. 

they look familiar with the balance beam made of two pieces 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Yes , Poolstock. 

I think you’re right. I was thinking LeedsLiverpool but they reminded me of Poolstock on the Leigh Branch. 

they look familiar with the balance beam made of two pieces 

I think the two part beam is a Leeds and Liverpool thing, but you know more about that than me :)  There are also a few on the Rochdale but that does not look like Rochdale padddle gear, though there is quite a mixture.

...............Dave

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Rochdale Lock 74.

We had running bywashes all the way up from Dale Street. At this lock we met a boat coming down (the chap on the other side is one of its crew), and they had been emptying full locks all the way down, and the water all arrived at once.

I had to drain the lock first and it took a long time to empty with all that coming in, but opening the bottom gate was not a particular problem. But opening the top gate when water was weiring over both sets of gates was not so easy.

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I wasn't aware that there had been a water shortage before this spell of wet weather? 

No, not in the last few weeks, but back in the summer there were a few doom mongers on the forum referring to the ever dropping reserves on CRT's Reservoir Watch.

Aha, drunken bridge lock, what a good name.

When was this? I assume you came down the Ashton before going up the Rochdale cus Manchester is currently broken?

Hope to be heading that way next week if Manchester gets fixed.

...........Dave

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I wasn't aware that there had been a water shortage before this spell of wet weather? 

Three weeks ago the CRT said that the Marston Doles locks were going to a 10am to 4pm restriction starting a week ago because levels were so low. The rain then started so that was cancelled. It was quite dry in Aug/ Sept in the area. Not so in October. 

I think it's been a bit different oop nawff.

13 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Great Ouse at Earith ...IWA_Milton_Keynes_v2.jpg.6093edddb71005b575a8e3aa8232c1ae.jpg

Are you heading upstream at the moment? Just got back up to St Neots from Ely yesterday and the last few days from Earith up to St Neots have gotten consistently more interesting lol. The Brownshill lock was completely flooded over even 5 days ago, both gates may as well of been completely up... Had a couple hairy moments to say the least?

Edited by lifeintheslowlanes

13 minutes ago, lifeintheslowlanes said:

Are you heading upstream at the moment? Just got back up to St Neots from Ely yesterday and the last few days from Earith up to St Neots have gotten consistently more interesting lol. The Brownshill lock was completely flooded over even 5 days ago, both gates may as well of been completely up... Had a couple hairy moments to say the least?

No, I was driving from Ely to Milton Keynes and decided to go that way. River has been on  caution for several days,  I can see why. How tight was Hermitage?

12 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

No, I was driving from Ely to Milton Keynes and decided to go that way. River has been on  caution for several days,  I can see why. How tight was Hermitage?

Kept the front end just clear of the bridge so I could leave the chimney and bike on the roof, but the back had maybe 4 inches or so under it, there was one coming down after me and the lockie had him disassemble his cratch cover and the boards to fit under lol

23 hours ago, blackrose said:

Strangely enough, when we came back from the States mid September, the fields were all brown and the trees looked like Autumn was starting early, leaves curled and turning colour. 

Cruising out today, most of the trees (bar the willows), look a vibrant Spring green, with few showing signs that Autumn is half way through.

20191019_122534.jpg

41 minutes ago, lifeintheslowlanes said:

Kept the front end just clear of the bridge so I could leave the chimney and bike on the roof, but the back had maybe 4 inches or so under it, there was one coming down after me and the lockie had him disassemble his cratch cover and the boards to fit under lol

Thanks. I did think about going through backwards once, but just avoided it. The lowest point of the underside of the bridge is at 4.1m on this gauge (so about 1.7m air draft now), but there is more room towards the top of the lock.  https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1598/1742  

dscf7128.jpg