Busy scene yesteryear

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Found this amongst my photos. Don’t know who took it.

6FA9FD5D-1F6D-42E1-A2F4-CA08CE823D7C.jpeg

This photograph was published on page 14 of Alan H. Faulkner's booklet The George & The Mary (published 1973). It is not credited to an individual which by default means it was credited to the British Waterways Board museum, Stoke Bruerne - but a quick search of the website for C&RT Archives does turn up this image :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

7 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

It’s a much better picture in the original scanning and posting altered it a bit.

i don’t know who took the photo I’m afraid, I got 2 negatives years ago and had prints done will post the other one.

D27FBEF5-036B-4B59-BEBD-99CBCE0395FC.jpeg

This photograph is Dan Doughty's pair PHILADELPHIUS and UNOSTENTATIOUS running out of Nelson lock at Braunston on their way to the paper mills on the southern Grand Union Canal :captain:

edit = and is usually credited to the Waterways Archives (British Waterways Board / C&RT)

Edited by pete harrison

48 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

This photograph is Dan Doughty's pair PHILADELPHIUS and UNOSTENTATIOUS running out of Nelson lock at Braunston on their way to the paper mills on the southern Grand Union Canal :captain:

edit = and is usually credited to the Waterways Archives (British Waterways Board / C&RT)

I wonder how far they would get loaded like that today

Can't immediately remember his name but its in the style (and the area) of the gentleman from Blisworth who was a prolific boat photographer some years ago - died in the last 20 or so years I think.

Will try and track down his name later.

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder how far they would get loaded like that today

I think this is a great photo. The boats are trimmed level, he’s got an Atherstone hat on and a fag, and they’ve left the gates open!

8 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Found this amongst my photos. Don’t know who took it.

6FA9FD5D-1F6D-42E1-A2F4-CA08CE823D7C.jpeg

I have a feeling that this is a still from a film, most likely the silent film made to promote the Grand Union Canal made in the mid / late 1930's that mostly features G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats :captain:

edit = the same southbound pair feature at 13:05 - 

Edited by pete harrison

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Can't immediately remember his name but its in the style (and the area) of the gentleman from Blisworth who was a prolific boat photographer some years ago - died in the last 20 or so years I think.

Will try and track down his name later.

Jim Payler?

http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Payler Albums/jpayler.htm

Edited by Ray T

On 18/10/2019 at 18:50, Dav and Pen said:

I think this is a great photo. The boats are trimmed level, he’s got an Atherstone hat on and a fag, and they’ve left the gates open!

Left the gates open!!! No doubt an ex dustman. :unsure:

On 18/10/2019 at 19:24, pete harrison said:

I have a feeling that this is a still from a film, most likely the silent film made to promote the Grand Union Canal made in the mid / late 1930's that mostly features G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats :captain:

edit = the same southbound pair feature at 13:05 - 

That was a great vid to watch.   Lots of things have completely changed ( was nice seeing the Pool of London busy!).  Lots of other things still look exactly the same! 

To go back to the first photo, I am, a bit mystified. The boat Cheam seems to be a butty or horse boat and there is no discernable prop wash from it. I can't see a horse or a tow line. The chap at the front seems to be standing in the way of a tow line form a motor. So was this photo deliberately posed.

3 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Pluto. Great photo especially on the left side. Is the hanging barge on top of the floating one or actually hung up on it’s ropes.

Hanging barge? Lol.  Admittedly at first glance it does look to be suspended but it's the illusion caused by the piles reflecting on the surface.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

To go back to the first photo, I am, a bit mystified. The boat Cheam seems to be a butty or horse boat and there is no discernable prop wash from it. I can't see a horse or a tow line. The chap at the front seems to be standing in the way of a tow line form a motor. So was this photo deliberately posed.

I had managed to zoom in after your statement and can just see a towline from the bow of NB Cheam leading to the Motor ahead of her.     

NB CHEAM.PNG

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Dharl said:

I had managed to zoom in after your statement and can just see a towline from the bow of NB Cheam leading to the Motor ahead of her.     

NB CHEAM.PNG

Yes, well spotted. Looks really thin for a towline.....