Buying solar panels - delivery charges

Neil2

Featured Posts

I've just acquired another boat which doesn't have any solar fitted.  Because of where I live in the Scottish Highlands, buying online seems out of the question owing to the eye watering delivery charges, and the time factor.  We currently keep the boat on the Middlewich branch, Nantwich being the nearest town, so can anyone suggest a supplier anywhere near where I could purchase over the counter?  I'm only looking for a modest set up, 100-150w would do.  

17 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

If you buy off ebay, look for buyers who offer click and collect, then set it to be delivered to an Argos branch and, as Nightwatch said above, collect on your arrival.

Agreed, this click and collect thing seems really useful.

Beware there may be limits on parcel size though. There is an automatic parcel collection service at my local Asda now, and the parcels come out of a hole to you, about 18" square.

48 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Agreed, this click and collect thing seems really useful.

Beware there may be limits on parcel size though. There is an automatic parcel collection service at my local Asda now, and the parcels come out of a hole to you, about 18" square.

If you are expecting delivery of a larger parcel, you could always take a chainsaw with you to make the hole a bit bigger! ?

We  bought two of our panels from Onboard energy at Spingwood haven marina, north of Nuneaton. Over the counter purchase. If you were buying 500W of panels I would say drive down there next time you go to the boat. Only 90 mins further to drive? Not worth it just for 100W.

I was worried about getting them over the internet and finding  them damaged on arrival.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We  bought two of our panels from Onboard energy at Spingwood haven marina, north of Nuneaton. Over the counter purchase. If you were buying 500W of panels I would say drive down there next time you go to the boat. Only 90 mins further to drive? Not worth it just for 100W.

I was worried about getting them over the internet and finding  them damaged on arrival.

Actually that might work, only 150 mile round trip and they sell Victron which I currently have, - thanks.

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Actually that might work, only 150 mile round trip and they sell Victron which I currently have, - thanks.

They are very good there. If you need any inputs on what you want, its worth ringing them and arranging a time to go in to talk. If you turn up, you may find they are tied up talking to people who have rung ahead and arranaged a time!

I got all the bits I needed for the panels.....the triangular fittings to go on the roof, an MPPT etc.

Just now, Dr Bob said:

They are very good there. If you need any inputs on what you want, its worth ringing them and arranging a time to go in to talk. If you turn up, you may find they are tied up talking to people who have rung ahead and arranaged a time!

I got all the bits I needed for the panels.....the triangular fittings to go on the roof, an MPPT etc.

Good point, I'm pretty sure I know what I want (more or less what I have on the other boat) but I'll bear that in mind.

23 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I am actually based at Aqueduct, but their prices are ridiculous.  

I thought you might be and I thought they might be as well, Aqueduct and cheap don't fit together very well and obviously no chance having them delivered there

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought you might be and I thought they might be as well, Aqueduct and cheap don't fit together very well and obviously no chance having them delivered there

Yes it's really frustrating.  For us there are a lot of advantages being based at Aqueduct but the on site chandlery isn't one of them. 

On 18/10/2019 at 16:55, Neil2 said:

I am actually based at Aqueduct, but their prices are ridiculous.  

Have you contacted the chandlery at nearby Venetian marina? They are very friendly there and likely to be cheaper.