Propane gas detector

Tractor

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Tractor said:

I am looking for a Propane gas detector, devices which look to be thin on the ground. Can anyone recommend a device please? 

Not sure where you are looking but Google give 100's of hits for "Boat gas detector"

Just one company with several variations :

https://www.asap-supplies.com/fuel-systems/gas-alarms

20 minutes ago, Tractor said:

I am looking for a Propane gas detector, devices which look to be thin on the ground. Can anyone recommend a device please? 

Why are you looking for a propane gas detector? Is it for a boat? Very few boats have ones that detect propane in the air. The effort is put in to preventing a leak in the first place, since the consequences in a confined space, with no where for it to go are potentially so bad (kaboom!). Bubble testers are the most common propane leak detectors on boats, looking for flow of gas when no flow should be happening.

Jen

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Some people have no sense of smell.

Plus sometimes its easier to get a gas sniffer onto a compression joint than your nose.I bought one a few months back cos I'm getting too old too climb in cupboards with a glass of soapy water and a paintbrush.

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Why are you looking for a propane gas detector? Is it for a boat? Very few boats have ones that detect propane in the air.

Actually many, many boats have them, they can be found at most coastal chandlers.

It just seems to be the Inland Waterways boats that seldom have them.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Actually many, many boats have them, they can be found at most coastal chandlers.

It just seems to be the Inland Waterways boats that seldom have them.

Live and learn. I've not done any lumpy water boating as I get sea sick very easily. ?

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Why are you looking for a propane gas detector? Is it for a boat? Very few boats have ones that detect propane in the air. The effort is put in to preventing a leak in the first place, since the consequences in a confined space, with no where for it to go are potentially so bad (kaboom!). Bubble testers are the most common propane leak detectors on boats, looking for flow of gas when no flow should be happening.

Jen

A bubble detector will only tell you that you have a leak if you remember to check it daily / several times a day.

(I don't check my bubble tester between BSS checks.)

An alarm will detect and give you an audible warning with no effort from the boater.

I have a 'dualwatch, combined gas and co alarm for boats', which is no longer supported. This device seems to be 'flaky', so will try to replace the propane gas detection element. This is for a narrowboat.

I would prefer a detector which is on all the time we are on the boat, so could run from the 12 Volt supply if necessary.

Edited by Tractor
more detail

I've got a Pilot gas detector fitted. I bought it years ago. 12v it's wired into the same circuit as the 12 v ignition for my hob / oven. Every time I turn that circuit on it bleeps. I don't know if the sensor head (which I've placed below the oven ,just above the bilges) has a limited life. I'll read the fitting instructions next time I'm on the boat. Will also try to give it a test by dangling  above an unlit burner.

I hope your other half doesn't use aerosol polish around the boat as some of them can poison the detector head.   Having worked with them for 20 years I wouldn't have one because I don't believe they are reliable enough unless things have changed a lot since I retired. The level of maintenance required was quite high

Agree with Ditchcrawler. Things may have changed but in the past we looked at propane gas detection for a Gas Turbine start system. In the end we didn’t fit any detectors but had to increase ventilation times to ensure we met the hazardous area requirements, because the detectors were prone to poisoning. We also looked at IR detectors (We used them for Natural Gas detection), but can’t remember why they wouldn’t  work for us, sorry!  As previously said, things may have changed. 

40 minutes ago, Tractor said:

Thanks for the response, it appears that reliable Propane detection is more difficult to provide than carbon dioxide; detectors necessarily close to the floor are subject to contamination.

Thanks again

No, carbon dioxide is VERY difficult to measure accurately or detect in dangerous concentrations.

Carbon monoxide on the other hand, can be monitored with detectors costing about £15. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Change a detail
  • Greenie 1

Yep, must get up to speed with the difference between Carbon dioxide and Carbon monoxide.........

From some reading, propane gas being twice as heavy as air goes to the floor; sensors then on the floor are subject to some contamination, working life then may be limited. Devices like Figaro semiconductor sensors need some time to stabilize, and also require a good heater supply.

https://www.bes.co.uk/amos-lpg-alarm-12-v-remote-sensor-13066, this link then looks useful, just what I need, thanks again for this.

Thanks again.