Big Lock bridge in Middlewich

haggis

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I know it's irrelevant now because they've put in a bridge but what would you have done if you were moored at the lock landing below wanting to come up, the lock is full and the offside top gate blown open? No other boats around to come down.

I’d have got back on the boat and moved to the offside and banged a pin into the bank to tie to if necessary. (If I had someone with me I’d drop them on the offside.)

Travelling single handed you come across stuff like this all the time, particularly at swing and lift bridges where you just have to work something out. A real pain sometimes but also an odd enjoyment when you manage to get it done. 

As it happens I don’t think these gates tend to blow open because the bottom gates leak and the lowering water level keeps them shut. I think there’s a stoppage next week at Big Lock to fix the leak. 

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Either you walk the bottom gate tops, deadly dangerous, or mess about shuffling across the canal to get off on the off side.

Either way its a faff we could do without.

I think CRT are very fortunate that there has not been a serious accident.

I think the greater risk was to non boaters who crossed the top gates with tools, pets, children, babies,  pushchairs and shopping 

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There are long term moorings on the offside at the bottom, so mooring there should be ok if you needed to. Be a nuisance though. 

Not been a boat there for more than 12 months now Arthur

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, SE Barlow said:

Any update on whether these works have now been completed and the stoppage lifted? Thanks.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices?waterway[]=TM&start-date=31%2F01%2F2020&start-date_submit=31%2F01%2F2020&end-date=07%2F02%2F2020&end-date_submit=07%2F02%2F2020&order-field=startDateTime&order-direction=descending#form

Whilst the end date is today, nothing seems to have posted to confirm it. If important, a call during working hours?

Edited by Mike Todd