Big Lock bridge in Middlewich

haggis

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

if memory serves, isn't the Andersen hire base very close? As in if they leave in the direction of the Anderton Lift it will be the first lock they arrive at with possibly zero experience?

we passed through it a few times this year, and although yes it is do-able it is a pain in the bum as the gates do move

And in the other direction new boaters from the Black Prince base on the T&M above the Weaver  also meet this lock as their first encounter with a lock. They have no possibility of being instructed on real time lock use by the hire base either.

Perhaps C&RT are waiting for a serious or fatal accident before they at least afix a warning and use notice or have the lock manned?

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

55 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

if memory serves, isn't the Andersen hire base very close? As in if they leave in the direction of the Anderton Lift it will be the first lock they arrive at with possibly zero experience?

we passed through it a few times this year, and although yes it is do-able it is a pain in the bum as the gates do move

Last time I was at Big Lock an Anderson boat was being instructed by someone from the boatyard.

55 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Edited by Pie Eater
Double post

2 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Last time I was at Big Lock an Anderson boat was being instructed by someone from the boatyard.

Anderson go to a lot of trouble instructing their hirers, normally two instructors, one lock side with whoever is working the lock and one on the boat with the person steering 

On 17/10/2019 at 21:04, haggis said:

I think it said no more than 10 (or maybe 8 ) people on the bridge at once or was this the notice put up just before it closed and it was an actual weight limit before? 

Been up a few years, but relatively modern. I think it appeared one festival weekend, the bridge tended to get thronged with drinking gongoozlers in the evenings.

On 18/10/2019 at 11:00, Pie Eater said:

Informal observation suggests that a majority of the Andersens head the other way and towards the Llangollen.

On 18/10/2019 at 11:04, ditchcrawler said:

Anderson go to a lot of trouble instructing their hirers, normally two instructors, one lock side with whoever is working the lock and one on the boat with the person steering 

Andersen's are the best hire co we have come across regarding lock training of their customers.

We came past on Saturday during turn round. As Brian says they have two staff one aboard and one ashore. The first lock that staff operate and the hirers observe. The second one they share the jobs and the third one the hirers work the lock and the staff observe.

Steve 

RESULT!

Update on 24/10/2019:

Please be advised our team will be onsite Monday, 28 October to install a temporary footbridge to replace Bridge 172A, Big Lock Footbridge on the Trent & Mersey Canal.

As part of the planned winter works, the existing footbridge will be transported off-site to be fully refurbished during the summer ready for repairs to the abutments and reinstallation of the bridge during Winter 2020. Click here to see more about these planned winter works; Lock 75, Big Lock, Middlewich, Trent & Mersey Canal

3 minutes ago, dor said:

RESULT!

Update on 24/10/2019:

Please be advised our team will be onsite Monday, 28 October to install a temporary footbridge to replace Bridge 172A, Big Lock Footbridge on the Trent & Mersey Canal.

As part of the planned winter works, the existing footbridge will be transported off-site to be fully refurbished during the summer ready for repairs to the abutments and reinstallation of the bridge during Winter 2020. Click here to see more about these planned winter works; Lock 75, Big Lock, Middlewich, Trent & Mersey Canal

Thats good news....perhaps someone was listening!

5 hours ago, dor said:

RESULT!

Update on 24/10/2019:

I wonder if it will be the one they removed from Vale Royal on the Weaver last week

Went up Big Lock on Wednesday, as we pulled up a boat was entering the full lock. The offside gate drifted open as it can do. The helmsman stayed in the boat on the nearside whilst his mate with the windlass used the bottom gates to get to the offside. Whatvwas unusual was that he did not walk over the balance beam, but climbed down a bit so his feet were on the horizontal timber below the balance beam and kept his hands on the balance beam for support.

59 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Went up Big Lock on Wednesday, as we pulled up a boat was entering the full lock. The offside gate drifted open as it can do. The helmsman stayed in the boat on the nearside whilst his mate with the windlass used the bottom gates to get to the offside. Whatvwas unusual was that he did not walk over the balance beam, but climbed down a bit so his feet were on the horizontal timber below the balance beam and kept his hands on the balance beam for support.

What’s a helmsman? Someone nailed by the feet to the deck? Could have gently steered over, stepped off and shut the gate himself. 

I’ve sometimes done the gate ‘shuffle’ on narrow locks. But not wide. 

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

What’s a helmsman? Someone nailed by the feet to the deck? Could have gently steered over, stepped off and shut the gate himself. 

I’ve sometimes done the gate ‘shuffle’ on narrow locks. But not wide. 

That is how we do them, Diana never goes over the lock to close the offside gate, If the gate swings I flick the arse end over and step off the fr side and close it

6 hours ago, Just Heaven said:

We went through Big Lock yesterday, there's now a temporary bridge made out of scaffolding.

Steve

Seen a picture of the temp bridge on Facebook, seems a bit OTT.  I bet the residents of the flats are impressed.

13 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Seen a picture of the temp bridge on Facebook, seems a bit OTT.  I bet the residents of the flats are impressed.

I heard that the planners refused CRT original design as it didn't have wheelchair access, does this one have a ramp up to it?

On 17/10/2019 at 18:32, john6767 said:

We went through it both ways in the summer.  Not sure I get what the big deal is for boaters, other than when the offside top gate swings open with no one on that side. I can understand the issue for locals if it is a footpath.

I know it's irrelevant now because they've put in a bridge but what would you have done if you were moored at the lock landing below wanting to come up, the lock is full and the offside top gate blown open? No other boats around to come down.

6 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I know it's irrelevant now because they've put in a bridge but what would you have done if you were moored at the lock landing below wanting to come up, the lock is full and the offside top gate blown open? No other boats around to come down.

Either you walk the bottom gate tops, deadly dangerous, or mess about shuffling across the canal to get off on the off side.

Either way its a faff we could do without.

I think CRT are very fortunate that there has not been a serious accident.