Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Canal321

3 network down

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

4) 2 tin cans with taught string connecting them

What does the string have to learn in order to perform well? :)

7 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

What does the string have to learn in order to perform well? :)

String theory.

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I got too fed up for a tenner or somett a month having a wishy washy signal in many places on mi travels. With o2 I have never a problem.

You never venture as far as Braunston then I see!

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You never venture as far as Braunston then I see!

Ahh, yes, you are right old boy, indeedy Braunston isnt good, but no mobiles are good there are they? o2 is poor in Lower Heyford also but 3 dont work within a mile in any direction. By Braunston I reckon you mean ont canal? if you go to Braunston proper upt ill the signal is fine on o2.

My 3 network has only just started working correct about half an hour ago!!

Edited by peterboat

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh, yes, you are right old boy, indeedy Braunston isnt good, but no mobiles are good there are they? o2 is poor in Lower Heyford also but 3 dont work within a mile in any direction. By Braunston I reckon you mean ont canal? if you go to Braunston proper upt ill the signal is fine on o2.

Paradoxically, Three works very well down on the canal in Braunston. 

As any widely travelling boater kno :giggles::giggles::giggles:

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I still have no mobile data - our home mooring in Northants, which is usually fine.

Three say it is fixed for most customers now, but I don't seem to be one of them.

I wonder if the reasons for such a widespread failure will ever be public knowledge?

As for ''3" versus "O2" - can't agree at all with Mr Smelly.

"3" was always massively better for us, and for canal locations we use regularly "02" regularly useless, so we ditched it as soon as we could.  That said neither were as bad as Vofafone!

Currently using wife's EE - generally the second best for coverage in our experience.

Our league table..

1) 3 (assuming it isn't today!)

2) EE

3) O2

5) Vodafone

Interesting.   Maybe it depends on which part of the country you are in.   We are with Vodafone and travel mostly around the North Midlands and the North West. 12Gb data and phone is used as hotspot for other devices, sometimes four including TV.  I am amazed how good the 4G coverage is and very rarely drop down to H+.  Really in the middle of nowhere, good solid 4G and even 4G+ in some places.

Vodafone have improved a lot in the last couple of years.  Not long ago I was lucky to get a phone signal in Nantwich, and data was very hit and miss.  Can now get 4G+.

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Three is definitely the best in Braunston, unless either O2 or particularly Vodafone have done recent work to improve things there.

Had no service again last night for a few hours, am moored at Welford wharf.

1 minute ago, dor said:

Interesting.   Maybe it depends on which part of the country you are in.   We are with Vodafone and travel mostly around the North Midlands and the North West. 12Gb data and phone is used as hotspot for other devices, sometimes four including TV.  I am amazed how good the 4G coverage is and very rarely drop down to H+.  Really in the middle of nowhere, good solid 4G and even 4G+ in some places.

Vodafone have improved a lot in the last couple of years.  Not long ago I was lucky to get a phone signal in Nantwich, and data was very hit and miss.  Can now get 4G+.

OK, I've not tried Vodafone for a couple of yeas now.

I used to have it, and on canals in the South East it was hopeless.

If they have improved, they certainly needed to!

1 minute ago, bastion said:

Had no service again last night for a few hours, am moored at Welford wharf.

I'm up and running on 3 near Northampton now. Very solid at the moment.

Last time I was in Braunston was July, and Voda most definitely did not work down on the cut AT ALL. 

Moderate but flakey signal up on the hill by the shops.

As it has always been.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Last time I was in Braunston was July, and Voda most definitely did not work down on the cut AT ALL. 

Moderate but flakey signal up on the hill by the shops.

As it has always been.

Does anybody at all use Vodafone any more?

13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I still have no mobile data - our home mooring in Northants, which is usually fine.

Three say it is fixed for most customers now, but I don't seem to be one of them.

I wonder if the reasons for such a widespread failure will ever be public knowledge?

As for ''3" versus "O2" - can't agree at all with Mr Smelly.

"3" was always massively better for us, and for canal locations we use regularly "02" regularly useless, so we ditched it as soon as we could.  That said neither were as bad as Vofafone!

Currently using wife's EE - generally the second best for coverage in our experience.

Our league table..

1) 3 (assuming it isn't today!)

2) EE

3) O2

5) Vodafone

Pretty much my findings too, except I would reverse 1 and 2.

When I was working, and we had the shareboats, i pretty much travelled all of the network and had company provided mobile phones, which changed network frequently depending upon who did the best (cheapest) deal at the time.

I currently have EE on my phone, 3 on the boat's MiFi and O2 (Tesco)on the wife's phone.

However for any specific canal location, only one of the networks will be best.

As a rough rule of thumb, the newer the network, the better the coverage.

Interestingly, although Ofcom pressured the various networks to share masts some years ago, the anticipated increase in coverage of all network a doesn't seem to have materialised.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

My 3 network has only just started working correct about half an hour ago!!

Well things are not sorted yet. Yesterday on the GU between Napton and Braunston (bridge 100), EE was going very slow...to slow to stream...which is not right as we always get a good signal there. Didnt try our 3 sim. I wondered if EE was struggling as a result of the 3 outage?

Today (lunchtime)  we are a few miles north of Braunston (north Oxford) and EE again is quite slow (with a signal of -85dB .....via a good antenna). 3 however is a great signal (-56dB and a better 'speedtest.net' result) but just wont run on many internet sites....ie I cannot read the bbc.co.uk site and many others. I find 3 is often like this.....stong signal but cr*p connecting to sites or streaming.

This location is usually good signals of <-60dB on both 3 and EE (we moor on this stretch of armco a lot) with good streaming. Neither seem up to it at the moment with 3 useless.

Recieved today 0930

Hi
Following our network issues, we can confirm everything’s up and running again. This occurred during essential work in one of our data centres.

We realise the effect this had on you, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you would like to talk to us about your options, please call us on 333. We are experiencing a high volume of calls, so please bear with us.

The Three Team

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Recieved today 0930

I have that email too.

"Essential work in one of our data centres".

Sound to me like a disgruntled employee did something really drastic with their systems on the software side. I can't imagine major mechanical or electrical or electrical failure not already being covered.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have that email too.

"Essential work in one of our data centres".

Sound to me like a disgruntled employee did something really drastic with their systems on the software side. I can't imagine major mechanical or electrical or electrical failure not already being covered.

Data Centres always have duo,mate and in some casesctriplicatecpower and cooling systems.

In my opinion the most likely cause would be a software "update". If IT engineers had the same limitations imposed on them as mechanical and electrical engineers do, that is not easily being able to make changes or rectify mistakes, then software would be much more reliable.

2 hours ago, bastion said:

Service here at Crick keeps cutting in and out this morning.

My o2 meanwhile remains fast and faultless :D

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My EE remains slow and tedious......a bit like the brexit shambles (brambles,a new word bought to you by rusty69)

• Horror 1

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

But o2 was non existent here when I tried it 6 months ago, that is why I opted for 3

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah but let's not forget O2 lost service as well for a whole day, this year?

;)

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Yeah but let's not forget O2 lost service as well for a whole day, this year?

;)

Correct, actualy I think it was last year? time flies. Still a much better signal most of the time taken countrywide. :P