Winter mooring period

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The CRT website says winter moorings will run from 1st November to the end of Feb.  Has my memory failed or did it used to be the end of March?  Does that mean the 14 day visitor mooring relaxation will stop at the end of Feb too?

I had a quick look on C&RT website and the only reference to relaxation was some  , not all,  short term moorings may revert to 14 days over the winter period.

I guess that's what you mean.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/moorings/short-stay-moorings

15 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I had a quick look on C&RT website and the only reference to relaxation was some  , not all,  short term moorings may revert to 14 days over the winter period.

I guess that's what you mean.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/moorings/short-stay-moorings

Yes.  But when does it finish?

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is good. VMs being taken away from CCers for five months of the year was ridiculous. 

There is quite a strong case for reducing them to Dec, Jan and Feb only in my opinion. 

Not if the 14 day relaxation on VMs gets reduced to 3 months too.  I've never seen a VM filled with boats on a winter mooring permit.  Most of the time, the permit spaces are empty all winter.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Not if the 14 day relaxation on VMs gets reduced to 3 months too.  I've never seen a VM filled with boats on a winter mooring permit.  Most of the time, the permit spaces are empty all winter.

When I was CCing on the K&A, virtually all the Vms were given over to WM and all were fully subscribed. Was infuriating to be mooring in the mud off the VMs the whole of the winter while the VMs were occupied by 50% empty boats paying not to have to move. 

Last winter down here was different however. Fewer VMs reserved for WM but all of them still full, and over-stayers often clogging the available VM spaces. No enforcement of the two week relaxation here.

My only experience last winter was at Newark where we stayed in the marina. The pontoon outside the CRT offices was full for most of the winter, some presumably paid for, some not. And overstayed after WMs ended although maybe with permission before anyone says it.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

When I was CCing on the K&A, virtually all the Vms were given over to WM and all were fully subscribed. Was infuriating to be mooring in the mud off the VMs the whole of the winter while the VMs were occupied by 50% empty boats paying not to have to move. 

Last winter down here was different however. Fewer VMs reserved for WM but all of them still full, and over-stayers often clogging the available VM spaces. No enforcement of the two week relaxation here.

Aren't almost all boats at least 50% empty? 

22 minutes ago, MartynG said:

While the end of March is stated I suggest you phone C&RT if you think it's a mistake.

Umm, tempting but I'll pass.  Last thing I want to do is demand that I get shooed on all the way through March.

54 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Aren't almost all boats at least 50% empty? 

Umm, tempting but I'll pass.  Last thing I want to do is demand that I get shooed on all the way through March.

It is not every short term mooring that becomes 14 days over winter.

A temporary sign is presumably in place to indicate when the 14 day rule applies and the expiry date ? If not you are required to obey the fixed signs ?

17 minutes ago, MartynG said:

A temporary sign is presumably in place to indicate when the 14 day rule applies and the expiry date ? If not you are required to obey the fixed signs ?

I dont think that is correct, you know the start and end date from CRT web information and the moorings that do not become 14 day say something like "2 days at any time" but I cant remember the exact info as I am not interested  staying for 14 days

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

No.  The default position is that all vms default to 14 days unless signed otherwise.

33 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

No.  The default position is that all vms default to 14 days unless signed otherwise.

Thank you. You are correct. 

I found a reference to end of March or Good Friday being the end date whichever comes first.

In 2020 the Good Friday date is 10th April. So end of March applies. 

The short stay moorings that do not become 14 day moorings in winter have signs saying 2 days (or 3 or 7 or 48 hours etc) then "All Year".  (Plenty of the VMs on the K&A have the All Year signs but I'm not sure how strongly they are attached!)

The CRT web site says (in the link above) that this goes on from November to 31st March.

Last year the paid for Winter Moorings lasted until the middle of March so that they didn't overlap with Easter but the 14 days on short term moorings lasted until 31st March.

This year the Winter Moorings finish at the end of February but the 14 day short term moorings go on till the 31st March.

Simples!