Replacing flywheel housing /rear engine mounts

Slim

Featured Posts

When it stops raining I'm back to the boat to replace the flywheel housing. Very similar but different make to existing one. The housing incorporates the rear mounting lugs. The lugs need to be drilled to accept the 12mm flexible mounting studs. The flexible mounts have a little lateral adjustment but no fore and aft adjustment. The front engine mount positions is effectively fixed (the mounts are presently loose}. The fixing holes for all four flexible mounting are existing. I'm thinking of :-

1.   Lifting engine

2. Installing flexible mounts with bolts nipped up

3. Dab of Engineers Blue on top of rear 12mm studs

4 Lowering engine (with slight angle to front) until front studs enter brackets and rear lugs rest on rear studs (leaving a smudge of Blue (hopefully) )

5. Raise engine, remove flywheel housing and drill holes.

Can anyone suggest another way?

I hope the above is sufficiently clear. I don't have any photos

The engine is a BMC 1.8. The housing is a Calcutts item The original housing is an unknown make.

Frank    

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

A lump of blue tack under each of the new mounts. Lowering it onto the studs will leave a nice neat dent where you need to drill. 

Simple but brilliant :clapping:

Far less messy and much easier to re-position if necessary.

A spin off benefit is that I'll have to dig out the Christmas decorations sooner rather than at the last minute.

Thanks,

Frank

9 hours ago, Slim said:

Simple but brilliant :clapping:

Alas it’s not my original idea. I bought some strengthening braces for a car from the US some years back and they came with a big lump of Blu Tack for the same purpose :)

22 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Put masking  tape on the steel framing and lower the engine mark around the bolts lift engine and drill the holes

jacko

It's not the bolts fixing the flexibles down. Those holes already exist. It's the holes through the casting llugs that the studsgo through from underneth. To mark with  scriber or pen would mean looking up from below. Not possible (for me)

Frank.

Just remembered, forgot the Blue Tack. Wonder if the shop  in Cropredy stock it??.?