Flooring ?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I’d think it ok. 

Some might question putting solid oak down. But I’ve had solid oak, tongue and groove, down for 3 years now and it’s fine.  Hasn’t moved, warped or cupped. 

Just don’t use nails longer than you need ?

I've had solid 18mm Oak T&G laid on 18mm WPB for the last 10 years + . No issues

The problem that comes to mind with Oak and metal fixings is staining; the tannic acid in the wood can react to form a black stain, I think. Solution is to use stainless steel fixings, but these have to be used with care as they can be brittle. edit: Or brass

Others more experienced may be able to confirm or correct.

Edited by Sir Percy

13 minutes ago, Sir Percy said:

The problem that comes to mind with Oak and metal fixings is staining; the tannic acid in the wood can react to form a black stain, I think. Solution is to use stainless steel fixings, but these have to be used with care as they can be brittle. edit: Or brass

Others more experienced may be able to confirm or correct.

That’s absolutely correct. No steel in contact with oak unless you are particularly fond of black staining. 

Galvanised or nickel plated might be okay, not sure about stainless, but for safety just use adhesive. Brass nails would be too soft.