Nell Bridge levels

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Just in case anyone is coming along the south oxford with a view to going under Nell Bridge, well its a tad high so at moment is only just passable to some boats but not others depending on cabin height. One boat just got through with his cratch removed and roof cleared but boat behind couldnt get under. Just a heads up to stay on the nearest pub moorings if coming this way so Banbury if coming downhill or Aynho if coming uphill :cheers:

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Just looked on CART website and nowt listed :banghead:

You can't expect them to be current, when some of their advice is out of date and about the wrong place.

We got stuck there once, when the weir lock board was just in the green, but a queue of boats at the lock was not clearing, and you could visibly watch the water level rise. The problem, of course, is compounded as the water you use whilst waiting lets the bow rise higher. We took a taxi into Banbury, did the laundry, had a long lunch at 'Spoons and returned for the night. Next day, the level started dropping, and we managed to pass into the lock with the help of some crew off a hire boat. Once up, the problem did not go away, and mooring in the pound below Banbury required poles down the bank to keep in the channel,

7 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

You can't expect them to be current, when some of their advice is out of date and about the wrong place.

We got stuck there once, when the weir lock board was just in the green, but a queue of boats at the lock was not clearing, and you could visibly watch the water level rise. The problem, of course, is compounded as the water you use whilst waiting lets the bow rise higher. We took a taxi into Banbury, did the laundry, had a long lunch at 'Spoons and returned for the night. Next day, the level started dropping, and we managed to pass into the lock with the help of some crew off a hire boat. Once up, the problem did not go away, and mooring in the pound below Banbury required poles down the bank to keep in the channel,

My list of great pubs in Banbury would be pretty short but would not include Weatherspoons. Edit (nor my list of "adequate" pubs in Banbury).

Edited by frahkn

5 hours ago, frahkn said:

My list of great pubs in Banbury would be pretty short but would not include Weatherspoons. Edit (nor my list of "adequate" pubs in Banbury).

I would agree. The nearest would be the Reindeer . Old Hookey. I always feel the pub could do with a good clean.

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We are going to winter in the Banbury-Aynho-Oxford region. What is the mooring like now in Banbury now that demolition and building has started? 

We moored in Banbury last week. It was fine overnight, and there was plenty of room, but during the day it was extremely noisy from 7.30 to 4.30

The worst was a big earth-compactor. When it was operating it sent so much vibration through the water that a pile of cups and plates fell into the sink and it even riddled the ash from our fire through the grate into the ash pan; we were on the opposite side of the canal from it and the noise and vibration through the boat were far more than if our engine had been running.

30 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We are going to winter in the Banbury-Aynho-Oxford region. What is the mooring like now in Banbury now that demolition and building has started? 

? More beer then!!

21 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

We moored in Banbury last week. It was fine overnight, and there was plenty of room, but during the day it was extremely noisy from 7.30 to 4.30

The worst was a big earth-compactor. When it was operating it sent so much vibration through the water that a pile of cups and plates fell into the sink and it even riddled the ash from our fire through the grate into the ash pan; we were on the opposite side of the canal from it and the noise and vibration through the boat were far more than if our engine had been running.

May have to rethink mooring spots. We always liked mooring near the lift bridge far beyond the Tranway. Even there it's a massive building site. Aynho was busy with long term moored boats last year, probably the same this year.

Ignore me. I'm having a negative day. 

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

May have to rethink mooring spots. We always liked mooring near the lift bridge far beyond the Tranway. Even there it's a massive building site. Aynho was busy with long term moored boats last year, probably the same this year.

Ignore me. I'm having a negative day. 

There will be loadsa space top of Nell bridge with mooring rings :cheers:

Hello Smelly! Are you still in those there parts? Thought you had moved. We would have said ‘Hello’ if we’d known. 

We’re one of 3 boats below the Weir Lock.  Water went up overnight, now at top of the red. 

I can think of worser places to be stuck, it’s quite pleasant here. Bu99er all phone signal though. 

Towpath under about a foot of water just south due to run off from field. 

ETA A boat came through heading South just gone 10pm last night. Don’t know if he was very brave, very stupid or both. 

Edited by Victor Vectis

Notice Alert

Oxford CanalStarts At: Lock 32, Nell Bridge LockEnds At: Lock 33, Aynho Weir Lock

Wednesday 16 October 2019 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction Reason: Information

Original message: Environment Agencys, River Cherwell & River Thames are currently showing flood alerts due to high river levels a result of rainfall over the last few days https://mandrillapp.com/track/click/10513099/flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk?p=eyJzIjoiOGlwMzJMejNiX19LYnI0R1RHc01iNzhUc2w0IiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjoxMDUxMzA5OSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL2Zsb29kLXdhcm5pbmctaW5mb3JtYXRpb24uc2VydmljZS5nb3YudWtcXFwvd2FybmluZ3M_bG9jYXRpb249K294Zm9yZFwiLFwiaWRcIjpcIjQxODJjMWI0YmYyMDQ4YzI4NjUwYzVmNTU2NDQ1OTUzXCIsXCJ1cmxfaWRzXCI6W1wiZWExZGZlNDFiM2Q0OTU4N2EyMmQ5ZmRlYmRlNTIyOTU5MDg0ZjZhNFwiXX0ifQ
The Oxford Canal has been affected and it not possible to navigate through Aynho/Nell Bridge area due to these high water levels.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Hello Smelly! Are you still in those there parts? Thought you had moved. We would have said ‘Hello’ if we’d known. 

We’re one of 3 boats below the Weir Lock.  Water went up overnight, now at top of the red. 

I can think of worser places to be stuck, it’s quite pleasant here. Bu99er all phone signal though. 

ETA A boat came through heading South just gone 10pm last night. Don’t know if he was very brave, very stupid or both. 

We moved off from the area when we left the business but are now at Pig place in which case you will be passing us when the level recedes, come on in for a chat :cheers: 

R u on three or some other useless contract? we get a full and constant signal on o2 everywhere ont Oxford, indeed I have been nowhere yet my o2 doesnt work. I have been down the " Three " route on two different occasions, there is a reason they are cheap!! Vodafone are not much better.

21 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Its dropped about 3 inches overnight. I have just walked the dog past your boat but u must be late risers?  Should keep dropping as no rain. Just to inform you that someone has tied some scruffy blue rag onto your tiller. You could take it off and use it for toilet paper or polishing brass though I suppose.

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

And a good morning to you too!

Not late risers, got up early to yomp to Kings Sutton for a train to the bright lights of Banbury.

(We know how to live!)

Don't you like blue with yellow stars?

?

It is a nice shade of blue, but the yellow blodges somewhat spoil it ? Thats not a nice road up to Kings sutton by foot?

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It is a nice shade of blue, but the yellow blodges somewhat spoil it ? Thats not a nice road up to Kings sutton by foot?

For a moment I thought you were having a go at him wearing a Blue duster (not many of those about)....