6V from 12

dor

Featured Posts

I've got a new trail cam which has a 6V DC input.  My previous one ran off 12V and I had an old battery with a small solar panel to provide the power.

Remember what those old batteries looked like with external lead straps between the cells?  I though the current enclosed batteries were similar inside, and I have in the past drilled in to one and screwed into the connecting strap.  However I am trying this with a relatively new 12V sealed battery and having difficulty making the connection.

Drilling a small (3mm) hole through the top, and putting a thin rod in I can make contact with something that gives the expected 6.x Volts.  However it is 10 cm down from the top of the battery and is very narrow and difficult to hit.

So, has anyone taken the top of a modern 12V sealed battery who can describe what the links between the cells look like?  Or does anyone have a suggestion for how to get 6V out of a 12V battery.  Even if i picked up a 6V battery I would have a problem charging it, as all battery chargers these days seem to be 12V only.

Thanks in expectation.