Keadby to West Stockwith

MHS

Featured Posts

We are hoping to head up the Trent but the weather has been against us. Our other option back to the Midlands is scuppered as  Ferrybridge flood lock is closed, so we are wondering about hopping up to the Chesterfield for a while. 

I’ve left a message for the lockie at Keadby but I’ve yet to hear from them. My question is whether it’s feasible (and safe) to make the trip in our narrowboat, heading up with the tide behind us, but plenty of fresh against. 

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

We are hoping to head up the Trent but the weather has been against us. Our other option back to the Midlands is scuppered as  Ferrybridge flood lock is closed, so we are wondering about hopping up to the Chesterfield for a while. 

I’ve left a message for the lockie at Keadby but I’ve yet to hear from them. My question is whether it’s feasible (and safe) to make the trip in our narrowboat, heading up with the tide behind us, but plenty of fresh against. 

Yes is the short answer. Timing is critical however getting in at West Stockwith, if not done at the right time you will have too much tide up yer bum and have fun rounding up and getting in teh lock, dont ask me how I know this fact :blink:. Its a nice trip, usual caviat of ensuring engine etc etc up to the job.

Thanks. We have done the trip from West Stockwith to Cromwell before. Also a return trip from Cromwell to Lincoln, so do have tidal experience. 

Having done Naburn to Selby a few weeks ago, I assume the entry is similar. 

Our boat and engine is 5 years old. Full Beta 43 service completed 100 hours ago so should be fine. Hope to speak to the lockie in the morning and make the trip on Wednesday. 

As said 

Dont arrive at West Stockwith too early. 

If the tide is still coming in when you arrive wait for it to go slack which makes for the easiest entry to the lock. Or if the tide is  going out a bit that's fine .... the tide  trots  in fast but goes out more slowly. 

Its springs just now so you will hardly use any diesel for the trip.

With the tide just on the ebb you aim for the bollard and turn into the lock at the last minute.  Probably some videos on YouTube may be worth a look.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

As said 

Dont arrive at West Stockwith too early. 

If the tide is still coming in when you arrive wait for it to go slack which makes for the easiest entry to the lock. Or if the tide is  going out a bit that's fine .... the tide  trots  in fast but goes out more slowly. 

Its springs just now so you will hardly use any diesel for the trip.

With the tide just on the ebb you aim for the bollard and turn into the lock at the last minute.  Probably some videos on YouTube may be worth a look.

Thank you. I’m all for making life easier, so will wait for slack water if we arrive early. 

I make 10am a good arrival time at West Stockwith tomorrow but do ask the lock keepers and follow their advice as local knowledge is valuable.

I have known tides to be half an hour late .

Edited by MartynG

You'll find with a lot of fresh coming down the incoming tide at Stockwith will be quite gentle, and the outgoing flow will be quite fierce I'd say.

To give you an idea of a flooded tidal trent at that end watch this video about 2 mins in:

Cheers,

Mike

Spoke with both Keadby and West Stockwith lock keepers, so are good to go tomorrow as planned.

2 hours ago, mykaskin said:

You'll find with a lot of fresh coming down the incoming tide at Stockwith will be quite gentle, and the outgoing flow will be quite fierce I'd say.

To give you an idea of a flooded tidal trent at that end watch this video about 2 mins in:

Cheers,

Mike

I can’t see a video there, but don’t have good 4g here. 

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

One other comment. When the river is in flood upstream you should expect more rubbish - tree trunks, cars, weed and assorted flotsam and jetsam - in the river. So a good lookout might be a good idea.

I did encounter (hit) a car on the tidal river . But not washed in by high water - it  had been driven in by some crooks - allegedly. Apparently it was  a convertible , but I didn't see it.

I have seen quite few sheep (deceased and very much not edible )

A wooden pub  bench table with its legs in the air

and one time an armchair,  floating but just under the surface  - I reported it as it was near a lock - the lock keeper didn't believe me.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

A little more advice is on the following

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/on-the-water/navigation/navigating-the-tidal-river-trent/

What time have they given you for the departure from Keadby?

Departure time of 08.15. That sounded sensible after researching it. High tide is 09.23. 

9 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

One other comment. When the river is in flood upstream you should expect more rubbish - tree trunks, cars, weed and assorted flotsam and jetsam - in the river. So a good lookout might be a good idea.

There was plenty of detritus in the Ouse a few weeks ago when we did it. Will keep a good look out. 

9 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

One other comment. When the river is in flood upstream you should expect more rubbish - tree trunks, cars, weed and assorted flotsam and jetsam - in the river.

And always bear in mind that flotsam may be claimed by the original owner, whereas jetsam may be claimed as property of whoever discovers it...

... should you wish to pull it out. 

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I did encounter (hit) a car on the tidal river . But not washed in by high water - it  had been driven in by some crooks - allegedly. Apparently it was  a convertible , but I didn't see it.

I have seen quite few sheep (deceased and very much not edible )

A wooden pub  bench table with its legs in the air

and one time an armchair,  floating but just under the surface  - I reported it as it was near a lock - the lock keeper didn't believe me.

I will post our list of interesting items. On the Ouse we saw a dead cow, pig and sheep!

2 hours ago, MHS said:

Hi Nick. 

We left Keadby at 08.20, and arrived safely into the lock at 10.35. 

My hunch this very wet morning to be let out 30 mins earlier was correct. Tony’s hour earlier would also have been better. There was a strong head wind all the way and the tide had turned early and with the fresh coming down there was a fair flow. It needed lots of revs for the last 45 mins. Good job we’ve got a reliable 43hp and large prop. I nailed it into the lock without touching the sides, so was v happy. 

Surprisingly very little debris in the river, but think the tides not as high as a week or two back. 

5B84E653-BBCE-47A8-8EF5-0BD4C1766847.MOV 10.45 MB · 2 downloads

Cheers Mike & Wendy

E1C47267-C562-4554-BC7F-DBDC6F7900FD.jpeg

Sometimes setting off earlier gives a more relaxing journey, you have the option to coast in the last couple of miles like we did a couple of years ago. For us though the tide and fresh were small and the trent was a milpond 

Haven’t seen him yet but will keep an eye out.

We have stayed in the basin tonight then will enjoy our trip up to Shireoaks. It’s 5 years since we were up there and with a great weather forecast, we are looking forward to it. 

15 hours ago, MHS said:

Haven’t seen him yet but will keep an eye out.

We have stayed in the basin tonight then will enjoy our trip up to Shireoaks. It’s 5 years since we were up there and with a great weather forecast, we are looking forward to it. 

Not a bad day for plodding up the Chesterfield.. Don’t forget the pub at Drakeholes is still shut if you’re planning a stop there. There’s a couple down the road at Everton, 30 minute walk down the main road that crosses at the tunnel. 

27 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Not a bad day for plodding up the Chesterfield.. Don’t forget the pub at Drakeholes is still shut if you’re planning a stop there. There’s a couple down the road at Everton, 30 minute walk down the main road that crosses at the tunnel. 

It’s a beautiful day after the wind and rain yesterday. Hoping to get towards Retford tonight but slow progress as it’s pretty shallow still. It’s 5 years since we’ve been up here, are there still moorings at the Hop Pole? I think it’s just reopened. 

A01C6A58-06BF-4C3B-A90C-FE7D309EB143.jpeg