Best grease cartridges for prop shaft?

jhodgski

Featured Posts

I've looked at the other posts that show Morris K99 grease generally seems to the best for greasing the stern tube, but it doesn't seem to be available in cartridge format. And I don't fancy the task of trying to transfer it from the tub into an empty cartridge without getting grease everywhere and/or getting loads of air into the cartridge.

I've seen a few "marine" grease cartridges (e.g., lithium, EP2) on eBay, but I was wondering what grease cartridges other boaters use or would recommend as there doesn't seem to be any discussion of them anywhere?

NB - I have a grease gun that takes 400g cartridges.

Cheers,

James

Assuming (dangerous !) that you have a standard greaser system IT DOESN'T USE CARTRIDGES.

Simply unscrew the top of the grease, invert the greaser and push downwards - as you push the grease comes out of the 'hole' in the inner 'giant washer' type thing and into the greaser.

No mess - no greasy hands - no waste.

https://www.thefitoutpontoon.co.uk/maintenance/stern-greaser/

Edited by Alan de Enfield

There are automatic greasing cartridges,    https://www.skf.com/group/products/lubrication-solutions/lubrication-systems/single-point-automatic-lubricators/index.html

If you want this rather than the standard refillable one.

That's what the big washer in the can is for, press the spent container over the hole, wind the thread back up and the grease will fill the container, easy.

The way I do it is different. Unscrew the greaser at the bottom thread. Push the greaser down on the grease container whilst un-screwing the plunger to allowhe grease to enter the tube. Every now and then tap the screw 't' bar on a rag pad to compact the grease. Continue until fully extended. Job done. Even easier with wifey un-screwing the plunger.

• Greenie 1

The thought of four hands grovelling about on the floor/deck fills me with horror.

Unscrew the top (complete with handle) and continue with filling from the tin of grease.

Any back pressure tends to make the 'large washer with asmall hole in it' tip up and loads of grease wells up - gets all over the place....

Folks get wound up when handling greases - dinna fash yersel - greases are a soap, a small quantity will clean you skin.

If still bothered, put a pair of vinyl glove on first.

Thanks for the replies.

Mine mustn't be standard greaser system. My stern gear just has a nipple. For it, I just use a standard grease gun that takes 400g cartridges.

I didn't realise the K99 tub has that giant washer at the top. That should make things a lot easier than I expected. Will get a tub ordered now, cheers.

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

The thought of four hands grovelling about on the floor/deck fills me with horror.

Unscrew the top (complete with handle) and continue with filling from the tin of grease.

Any back pressure tends to make the 'large washer with asmall hole in it' tip up and loads of grease wells up - gets all over the place....

Folks get wound up when handling greases - dinna fash yersel - greases are a soap, a small quantity will clean you skin.

If still bothered, put a pair of vinyl glove on first.

Do it on the work top in the galley.