Fuel tank size on Ownership Boat

Featured Posts

Until recently we were brought into a former Ownerships, from the same period (in fact I think we took a look at yours when we were buying), and we always reckoned on 200l.  I suspect that OS speced them all to this, regardless of builder.  But if you want to be sure, fill her up, mark the level on a 1000mm length of 12mm dowel, use her, dip and mark again, and fill her back up.  On the basis that a narrowboat tank is square sided, this will give you all the measurements you need to work it out for sure.  I.E.: divide the total depth of the tank by the measurement between the two levels and multiply by the litres it took to fill it back up.  You could also then work out how many mm equates to 20l, and notch the dowel at these distances, to give yourself a handy dipstick!

Edited by The Dreamer

I ran out of diesel on one trip. We set off from Fradley and went around the four counties clockwise taking a detour up the Macc to Bugsworth. We ran out of fuel at the linear moorings at Sandon on day 12. According to canalplanner that was 185 miles so I think 200 litres is on the optimistic side. 

I'd guess at 160 litres. 

19 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I ran out of diesel on one trip. We set off from Fradley and went around the four counties clockwise taking a detour up the Macc to Bugsworth. We ran out of fuel at the linear moorings at Sandon on day 12. According to canalplanner that was 185 miles so I think 200 litres is on the optimistic side. 

I'd guess at 160 litres. 

If you had taken heed of Allen Mathews you would have been fin. " Refuel on or around the 7 th day! With Somnia we worked on 45 gallons (around 200 ltrs) and all the 0wnerships boats were designed with similar sized tanks.

Howard

18 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I did wonder if the tank was full at the start of the holiday. 4 miles a gallon wasn't good. Normally it would do six.

That doesn't sound 'right'

I have 2x 6-cylinder, 6.2 litre engines and at 5kts (5.5 miles) I use a total of 10 litres (just over 2 gallons) per hour

It didn't seem right to me. A little under two litres an hour was normal on the canals with the Nanni. Now we've got our own boat we dip the tank to find out how much fuel we've got left but in the shared days we just assumed the jobs like refuelling that should have been done were actually done.