Questions after viewing - interpretation of 2014 survey please

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

So, after a day of viewings, there was one boat we really liked. It is out of the water currently. There was a survey done from 2014 and it's clear it's had a fair bit of work since this survey and certainly things identified at the 2014 all seem to be resolved now with a repaint last year and recent blacking (not sure on anodes). Pitting was visible below the water mark and I'm concerned it had been stretched and where it had been extended the hull was only 8mm rather than 10mm.

I took photos of the 2014 survey and if anyone could interpret this and highlight any concerns that would be incredibly helpful. If we make an offer it would be subject to survey.

I'm also concerned re the plastised bag - water tank.

sketch-1570950308846.png

Screenshot_20191013-080054.png

Screenshot_20191013-080414.png

IMG_20191012_124137.jpg

IMG_20191012_124101.jpg

Yes, the survey is 5 years out of date. A faulty shoreline instillation on that boat or close by could have caused a lot of hull damage in those five years.

Rudder stops = surveyor bullshine unless the rudder is actually contacting and eating into the hull, very unlikely because of the base plate lip and possibly a rubbing bar.

In 2014 in my view the hull looked OK for many years of service but I would be paying some attention to the 4.7mm hull area to see what has caused it to loose over 1mm.

Unless it has been addressed you may be well advised to take the windows out where the lining staining is an re-bed them with proper window bedding foam or mastic strip. If you don't and it has not been addressed you are likely to find that you have a constantly wet cabin bilge in winter and periods of heavy rain.

• Greenie 1

Apart from the low figures at locations 6 and 30 Port side it looked OK 5 years ago. That is or could be a long time depending on how it was treated in the meantime.

If its just localised pitting, filling with weld may suffice.

Many hulls had 8mm baseplates.

All dependant on price of course, good haggling material.

• Greenie 1

What that survey shows is that the boat has had a period of poor maintenance during it’s life. That isn’t a show stopper given the inference that the current owner has addressed the immediate issues. It may though have implications as the boat ages.

As for the comment on the rudder stops if you look at the extreme right hand side of the photograph of the rear of the hull you can see where the rudder has been galled by bearing against the baseplate (it looks like a small cut has been made into the steel at the root of the upstand). There will be a corresponding eroded area on the baseplate although it’s not identifiable on the photo. It could however be on the opposite side as a result of the rudder being held hard over on one side for some reason; it’s probably a result of how it’s been moored at some stage. It’s unlikely to be significant but as it’s observable the surveyor probably felt compelled to comment.

If you’re worried you really should get your own survey.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Looks like a typical survey on elderly cheap boat to me. Any surveyor who fails to find reams of scary stuff to write down on such a boat is failing in his work.

This bit was the 'stand out' comment for me: 

"There is a mooring eye to the roof".

NO THERE FKN ISN'T. Its NOT FOR MOORING!!!

Idiot surveyor. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looks like a typical survey on elderly cheap boat to me. Any surveyor who fails to find reams of scary stuff to write down on such a boat is failing in his work.

Is't it? Oh! That's where I've been going wrong!?

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Idiot surveyor. 

A bystander once asked if mine was for lifting the boat, as "it didn't look strong enough " lol.

5 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

A bystander once asked if mine was for lifting the boat, as "it didn't look strong enough " lol.

Anyone who thinks its for mooring up shouldn't be allowed to steer narrow boat, let alone survey them!!!!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Anyone who thinks its for mooring up shouldn't be allowed to steer narrow boat, let alone survey them!!!!

"The Industry" really should introduce some standards for Boat Surveyors - as it currently stands anyone can print up a business card and call themselves a Surveyor.

You don't even need any qualifications to join some of the Professional Associations, just pay your membership and off you go.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"The Industry" really should introduce some standards for Boat Surveyors - as it currently stands anyone can print up a business card and call themselves a Surveyor.

You don't even need any qualifications to join some of the Professional Associations, just pay your membership and off you go.

Yes, that survey is padded out with a lot of stuff simply describing features of the boat, where nothing is wrong. I reckon the meaningful content could be precìsed down to about two A4 pages. 

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Idiot surveyor. 

I've got 2 rings on my roof. I use one to tie my centre lines to, and I dont use them for anything other than mooring.

When I say "mooring", I mean that, when I come alongside I usually use the centre line to get the boat alongside, then I tie up with the fore and aft lines. Not saying I never use the centre line for tying up, but am conscious that it can be dangerous.

So I dont see anything wrong with calling the rings on the roof "mooring eyes" :) 

As a matter of interest, if there are rings/eyes or similar on a roof, what would they be used for, and what could a surveyor call them?

Yes, that survey is padded out with a lot of stuff simply describing features of the boat, where nothing is wrong. I reckon the meaningful content could be precìsed down to about two A4 pages. 

Steve Hands was highly recommended on here when I asked in 2011. He provided a very comprehensive survey which described the boat, and identified any issues.

I still refer to it 8 years later, so dont consider the descriptive part as "padding", rather worth every penny I paid for it :)  All of the issues identified were of either a minor nature, or not requiring immediate attention. All of them required attention over the next few years, and did not come as a surprise. I havent had any issues that could be considered to have been missed by the surveyor.

All in all, Steve Hands would be my go to surveyor if I needed a survey, and he was available.

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I've got 2 rings on my roof. I use one to tie my centre lines to, and I dont use them for anything other than mooring.

When I say "mooring", I mean that, when I come alongside I usually use the centre line to get the boat alongside, then I tie up with the fore and aft lines. Not saying I never use the centre line for tying up, but am conscious that it can be dangerous.

So I dont see anything wrong with calling the rings on the roof "mooring eyes" :) 

As a matter of interest, if there are rings/eyes or similar on a roof, what would they be used for, and what could a surveyor call them?

How, otherwise, would you describe the actions taken when mooring with a centre rope while waiting for a lock/coming alongside etc? Pedantry can sometimes go too far.

As far as padding our a report is concerned, a survey is not only used to point out deficiencies or suggestions for improvement, but it can also be of great use to a new purchaser to understand his boat.

Howard

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The industry does have some standards for boat surveyors.

Agreed... anybody can print up a business card etc.

Agreed, some so called associations require no more than the fee.

and so it is in many forms of life.

When you say, "The Industry", it is probably more a matter for government than the industry.

But if I paid a few hundred quid for a survey I would be a bit miffed if all I got was a couple of pages.  

Also if something is ok, it should be reported in the survey otherwise you would not know if it had been looked at or not.

I also use my centre line as part of the mooring process, though when I am fully moored the centre line is lying on the roof unused.

Edited by Chewbacka

37 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I also use my centre line as part of the mooring process, though when I am fully moored the centre line is lying on the roof unused.

I use my centre rope when appropriate and I use my own judgement whether to release it when moored or whether to leave it connected. I am fully aware of potential problems when using a centre rope but there are times in my view when it can be perfectly OK , and even beneficial, to leave it rigged. You just have to use some common sense.

Howard

• Greenie 1