I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, Theo said:

Here's my contribution sent to editor@canalboat.co.uk:

Dear Sir
I would like to add my voice to the protests about the appalling behaviour of your contributor.
With manners like this he is not a worthy representative of the magazine that you work for.
My comments refer to the evidence on this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/ldoVS0idTBw
With boat handling like this he is not fit to offer advice to anyone, especially the novices who might be reading your magazine.  Here are some of the more obvious mistakes that he made:
  1. Passing ahead of the large white boat seen in the distance.  He should have left this boat to port and turned under his stern.
  2. Failure to appreciate that on a first come first served basis the cruiser from which the video was filmed clearly had precedence.
  3. Approaching a mooring while running with the current.  The correct way is to turn and approach while stemming the current.  This gives best steering with minimum speed over the ground.
  4. Deliberately ramming the cruiser as evidenced by his operation of the tiller.
  5. utting his partner at risk.  (She was standing on the gunwale during the deliberate ramming.)
I look forward to hearing your comments.
Yours faithfully
N A Cooke

Just noticed the date of the original post!  Methinks I am a little late in making my thoughts known!

N

Excellent thoughts: just need to send to robert.cowling@wwonline.co.uk who has given the aforementioned SteveH a free (probably) whole-page plug for a book.

12 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Excellent thoughts: just need to send to robert.cowling@wwonline.co.uk who has given the aforementioned SteveH a free (probably) whole-page plug for a book.

Done that.

Thanks for the email address.

N

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I had a similar experience some years ago in Braunston. Travelling at a gentle pace past the Toll House towards the lock, a small cruiser launched itself out of the marina entrance less tha an hundred feet in front of me. With boats moored along the towpath, I had nowhere to go, other than straight into the cruiser. My immediate reaction was to yell (and I have loud voice!) "get that XXXX plastic and plywood out of the way". Whether he heard me or suddenly saw me, I do not know, but he franticly reversed back in to the marina entrance, missing our bow by only a few feet. I did not engage in conversation with him as we passed.

I was approaching Holme lock on one occasion driving the Notts Princess ( 86 feet long over 20 foot beam and 16 foot six air draught over 100 tons etc etc painted bright white, when a knob in a narrowboat seeing the gates swing open ( to let me in ) with 160 plus passengers aboard he just let go his ropes and reversed from the side straight in front of me, he hadnt even looked behind once. Luckily I had anticipated and slowed and then stopped a few feet from him and gave an appropriate horn signal, he turned round and shat himself. b4 pulling back to the bank. Plenty of em out there.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I was approaching Holme lock on one occasion driving the Notts Princess ( 86 feet long over 20 foot beam and 16 foot six air draught over 100 tons etc etc painted bright white, when a knob in a narrowboat seeing the gates swing open ( to let me in ) with 160 plus passengers aboard he just let go his ropes and reversed from the side straight in front of me, he hadnt even looked behind once. Luckily I had anticipated and slowed and then stopped a few feet from him and gave an appropriate horn signal, he turned round and shat himself. b4 pulling back to the bank. Plenty of em out there.

I was sat topside of Holme Lock waiting for the lock to empty, when, as the gates started to open the Notts Princess 'shot forward' in a rush to get out, and in the process crushed a GRP cruiser between himself and the lock wall - I have never head GRP 'squeal and creak' so loudly and I was 50 yards away, the Princess didn't stop, and even when the lockie called him up on the VHF he refused to stop and said he'd sort it out once he got back.

'Commercial' Skippers can be as guilty as the 'Part-Timers'.

No doubt you can fill in what happened next ................

14 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I had a similar experience some years ago in Braunston. Travelling at a gentle pace past the Toll House towards the lock, a small cruiser launched itself out of the marina entrance less tha an hundred feet in front of me. With boats moored along the towpath, I had nowhere to go, other than straight into the cruiser. My immediate reaction was to yell (and I have loud voice!) "get that XXXX plastic and plywood out of the way". Whether he heard me or suddenly saw me, I do not know, but he franticly reversed back in to the marina entrance, missing our bow by only a few feet. I did not engage in conversation with him as we passed.

Was his name Eric Sykes? (The Bargee)

Glad this thread is resurrected 😂. He pops up on Facebook boating groups now and again (I think he 'runs' one actually). I replyed to a thread that was suggesting his books as a good example to learn boating ettiquet, suggesting otherwise, and recieved a couple of unpleasant private messages from him🤣😅

• Greenie 2

I know Steve, and was in two minds about this incident. A couple of months ago we passed thro Marsh Lock and the happy chappie locky recognised the TNC narrowboat. We had a good chat, the subject of Steve came up....he saw the whole incident.

2 minutes ago, Neil TNC said:

I know Steve, and was in two minds about this incident. A couple of months ago we passed thro Marsh Lock and the happy chappie locky recognised the TNC narrowboat. We had a good chat, the subject of Steve came up....he saw the whole incident.

AND ?

He thought there had been another incident between the 2 boats. Steve was wrong side of other boats approaching the lock, as he was heading for that free mooring, but was beaten to it, but that did not excuse what happened. The locky said it was a shame as he acutaully read, and liked some of Steve's musings. Steve has owned NB Justice for rathger longer than the 23 years we have owned NB Earnest, so should know how to handle it. We are all getting a little passed it, we created a bit of a comedy incident, as I flung the stern rope, not over bollard, but into the water...twice. I don't know what the attraction of the moorings, that far from Henley central are...should you actually want to moor there. We managed 7 days on the Thames without mooring problems, or paying for a mooring.

On 13/10/2021 at 18:02, Neil TNC said:

He thought there had been another incident between the 2 boats. Steve was wrong side of other boats approaching the lock, as he was heading for that free mooring, but was beaten to it, but that did not excuse what happened. The locky said it was a shame as he acutaully read, and liked some of Steve's musings. Steve has owned NB Justice for rathger longer than the 23 years we have owned NB Earnest, so should know how to handle it. We are all getting a little passed it, we created a bit of a comedy incident, as I flung the stern rope, not over bollard, but into the water...twice. I don't know what the attraction of the moorings, that far from Henley central are...should you actually want to moor there. We managed 7 days on the Thames without mooring problems, or paying for a mooring.

Everyone makes mistakes or even sees red occasionally and behaves badly. It's the lack of apology and continued defence of his actions that I had the biggest problem with

• Greenie 4