I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I have little experience of canals but 62 years experience of the Thames.  There is always a slight current except in the lock cut and it is always far easier to moor up by making a ferry glide, letting the stream move you gently into the mooring slot which could be just 6 inches longer than your boat.

Absolutely and if often impresses the blazer and white slacks mob when you slide a 56ft narrowboat into such a gap - that is after them panicking as you slide your orid black hull in their general direction.

Did  something like this on the Severn at Lower Lode one year, only there were 4 of us abreast.

I filled the gap, another 60 footer tied up to me, the 70 footer went outside him, overlapping the gin palaces a bit, but well clear,  and then a 50ft BCN ice breaker/tug  hanging off the outside.

All done 1, 2, 3, 4 and tied up smartly with  no mooring space wasted.  The look on the face of the woman on the downstream boat was a picture.  We retired to the pub.

N

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Having been dropped by Canal Boat magazine following the incident that started this thread, I see that Steve Heywood has a page in the latest Waterways World.

More fool them.

Worth reserecting what this idiot did.

On 03/10/2021 at 00:20, The Happy Nomad said:

More fool them.

Worth reserecting what this idiot did.

It doesn't get any better on a re-watch does it?

I had an experience a few months ago when we were approaching a modern road bridge with loads of room underneath for 2 boats to pass but on a slight bend.  As my bow started under the bridge I heard a quick 'parp' like a car horn and thought nothing more of it.  When my boat was half way under the bridge a boat appeared coming directly towards me.  I went into reverse expecting him to do the same, as they was plenty of space and time for us to avoid each other.  He did nothing of the sort and kept going towards me.  When he hit me, I was completely stationary.  Yet, he still started having a go at me on the basis that he'd parped his horn.  It seemed that in his head, if he quickly sounds his horn on the approach to a bridge, he then 'owned' that bridge and it was everyone else's responsibility to get out of his way, even if they were first to the bridge and even if the bridge is wide enough for two boats to pass.  Sadly I wasn't filming it and I suspect these sort of incident are pretty common but go unreported and unfilmed.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It doesn't get any better on a re-watch does it?

I had an experience a few months ago when we were approaching a modern road bridge with loads of room underneath for 2 boats to pass but on a slight bend.  As my bow started under the bridge I heard a quick 'parp' like a car horn and thought nothing more of it.  When my boat was half way under the bridge a boat appeared coming directly towards me.  I went into reverse expecting him to do the same, as they was plenty of space and time for us to avoid each other.  He did nothing of the sort and kept going towards me.  When he hit me, I was completely stationary.  Yet, he still started having a go at me on the basis that he'd parped his horn.  It seemed that in his head, if he quickly sounds his horn on the approach to a bridge, he then 'owned' that bridge and it was everyone else's responsibility to get out of his way, even if they were first to the bridge and even if the bridge is wide enough for two boats to pass.  Sadly I wasn't filming it and I suspect these sort of incident are pretty common but go unreported and unfilmed.

I met a woman boater who had the same opinion as the man you met. She had beeped and as such owned the bridge hole which I was in

39 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What about this twerp.....

Yeah, Karma's a bitch :D

Steerer obviously knew canoeist was there, though. Possibly thought bridge was wider than it was, due to not spotting the "protrusion"

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

What about this twerp.....

This is what happens when you visit the Aisle of Dreams in Aldi and come home with an inflatable kayak and no clue about using one on the water. That said, Captain Birdseye could have avoided him or just backed off and waited a bit, but possibly couldn’t see due to the plethora of sh1te on the roof. Lucky not to get pancaked really.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

This is what happens when you visit the Aisle of Dreams in Aldi and come home with an inflatable kayak and no clue about using one on the water. That said, Captain Birdseye could have avoided him or just backed off and waited a bit, but possibly couldn’t see due to the plethora of sh1te on the roof. Lucky not to get pancaked really.

Well he looked as if he was determined not to stop even after looking down the right hand side but that could just be the camera angle so I might be wrong

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Well he looked as if he was determined not to stop even after looking down the right hand side but that could just be the camera angle so I might be wrong

Yeah it’s not the best angle, and it’s been filmed on a potato :) 

• Greenie 1

On 03/10/2021 at 00:15, David Mack said:

Having been dropped by Canal Boat magazine following the incident that started this thread, I see that Steve Haywood has a page in the latest Waterways World.

Do people still read WW or any of the paid for mags?  I pick up towpath talk from the marina office but that’s it for printed media

We had a guy plop his nice, new fibreglass kayak into the water from a layby as we were pulling in! Our narrowboat weighs 15 tons and I need about three boat lengths to stop it when trundling at 950 revs.

I bellowed at him to get it out as I couldn't stop in time. He actually wanted to engage with me in an argument, telling me he was there first, I should be able to stop, etc.

Finally, out of exasperation, I yelled, 'I WILL crush your boat if you don't get it out,' and he pulled the thing out with about 5 feet to spare.

Bloody 'el. I really couldn't stop. And I thought he was going to let it get crunched to make some kind of point. And I felt sorry for him.

Some of these inexperienced paddlers really do believe that any boat is powerful enough to stop on a dime. They don't distinguish between the maneuverability of a paddleboard, a GRP cruiser, a 40-foot narrowboat or a Fellows, Morton and Clayton. 

... And then, there's just the arrogance and feeling of entitlement of some people - however long they've been on the canals or rivers.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jim Batty said:

We had a guy plop his nice, new fibreglass kayak into the water from a layby as we were pulling in! Our narrowboat weighs 15 tons and I need about three boat lengths to stop it when trundling at 950 revs.

I bellowed at him to get it out as I couldn't stop in time. He actually wanted to engage with me in an argument, telling me he was there first, I should be able to stop, etc.

Finally, out of exasperation, I yelled, 'I WILL crush your boat if you don't get it out,' and he pulled the thing out with about 5 feet to spare.

Bloody 'el. I really couldn't stop. And I thought he was going to let it get crunched to make some kind of point. And I felt sorry for him.

Some of these inexperienced paddlers really do believe that any boat is powerful enough to stop on a dime. They don't distinguish between the maneuverability of a paddleboard, a GRP cruiser, a 40-foot narrowboat or a Fellows, Morton and Clayton. 

... And then, there's just the arrogance and feeling of entitlement of some people - however long they've been on the canals or rivers.

But surely you do not pull in at 950 revs

2 hours ago, Jim Batty said:

I had a similar experience some years ago in Braunston. Travelling at a gentle pace past the Toll House towards the lock, a small cruiser launched itself out of the marina entrance less tha an hundred feet in front of me. With boats moored along the towpath, I had nowhere to go, other than straight into the cruiser. My immediate reaction was to yell (and I have loud voice!) "get that XXXX plastic and plywood out of the way". Whether he heard me or suddenly saw me, I do not know, but he franticly reversed back in to the marina entrance, missing our bow by only a few feet. I did not engage in conversation with him as we passed.

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

But surely you do not pull in at 950 revs

No, I usually 'float' (without propulsion) into a lay-by for the final two or so boat lengths. Even with hard-on reverse this guy's kayak seemed to be coming up fast.

27 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I had a similar experience some years ago in Braunston. Travelling at a gentle pace past the Toll House towards the lock, a small cruiser launched itself out of the marina entrance less tha an hundred feet in front of me. With boats moored along the towpath, I had nowhere to go, other than straight into the cruiser. My immediate reaction was to yell (and I have loud voice!) "get that XXXX plastic and plywood out of the way". Whether he heard me or suddenly saw me, I do not know, but he franticly reversed back in to the marina entrance, missing our bow by only a few feet. I did not engage in conversation with him as we passed.

Some things never change.  When helming on my first ever narrowboat trip many decades ago I was coming down the Llangollen at Trevor just at the 90° corner by the basin.  Being a newbie I wasn't going at any great speed and out of the basin came a cruiser - slowly.  He looked saw me and continued on his merry way at the same speed.  Full reverse couldn't stop the boat so I struck him  amidships.

54 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I had a similar experience some years ago in Braunston. Travelling at a gentle pace past the Toll House towards the lock, a small cruiser launched itself out of the marina entrance less tha an hundred feet in front of me.  

Always amazed the number of boats that come straight out of a marina, no hoot, him and her both standing on the counter without a care in the world.

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Always amazed the number of boats that come straight out of a marina, no hoot, him and her both standing on the counter without a care in the world.

We had the perfect mooring at Lemonroyd marina as we could reverse almost directy backwards and edge the stern out into the navigation so I could see properly if anything was coming before pulling fully out. The navigation was wide enough to allow me to pull straight back and turn in my direction of choice.

Obviously this meant going in nose first but we rarely if ever met anything coming out as we went in and it was a direct straight run to our pontoon.

Here's my contribution sent to editor@canalboat.co.uk:

Dear Sir

I would like to add my voice to the protests about the appalling behaviour of your contributor.

With manners like this he is not a worthy representative of the magazine that you work for.

My comments refer to the evidence on this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/ldoVS0idTBw

With boat handling like this he is not fit to offer advice to anyone, especially the novices who might be reading your magazine.  Here are some of the more obvious mistakes that he made:
  1. Passing ahead of the large white boat seen in the distance.  He should have left this boat to port and turned under his stern.
  2. Failure to appreciate that on a first come first served basis the cruiser from which the video was filmed clearly had precedence.
  3. Approaching a mooring while running with the current.  The correct way is to turn and approach while stemming the current.  This gives best steering with minimum speed over the ground.
  4. Deliberately ramming the cruiser as evidenced by his operation of the tiller.
  5. Putting his partner at risk.  (She was standing on the gunwale during the deliberate ramming.)
I look forward to hearing your comments.

Yours faithfully

N A Cooke

Just noticed the date of the original post!  Methinks I am a little late in making my thoughts known!

N