I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

the biggest cause of accidents is a stretch? 

I can't find figures for accidents caused by phones other than road accidents.

The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.

One in four accidents across the pond are caused by texting while driving.

Just now, lampini said:

Wow - 27 pages of bile and vitriol; folks need to get a life. So what if SH made a boo boo, I suppose nobody on here ever has. Sorry, but this all smells like bullying to me... 

no, SH made it very clear that he is the bully.

......................  hoist with his own petard.

18 minutes ago, lampini said:

Wow - 27 pages of bile and vitriol; folks need to get a life. So what if SH made a boo boo, I suppose nobody on here ever has. Sorry, but this all smells like bullying to me... 

If Steve had admitted his boo-boo, at any time, or showed one ounce of contrition for his awful behaviour, I could agree. 

However, from day 1 he has aimed at, hit, blamed, swore at the plastic boat crew, then lied about the circumstances, and continued on social media to shout his"in his mind, blameless" corner. 

If the video wasn't so clear, you could say you hadn't seen both sides of the story, but it is very clear.

Half the posts will be non relevant anyway so its only 13 1/2 pages.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, lampini said:

Steve appears to have made a deliberate act of aggression and revenge by ramming the plastic boat with his steel boat. A boo boo is slang, but normally I think it means a mistake. If it had been a mistake, normally one would apologise and all would be forgotten.

But it seems to everyone that it was a deliberate act, which is fairly difficult to forgive, compounded by not apologising and in fact becoming aggressive about it. Not forgivable IMO. And Canal Boat magazine seems to agree with me.

39 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

But it seems to everyone that it was a deliberate act, which is fairly difficult to forgive, compounded by not apologising and in fact becoming aggressive about it. Not forgivable IMO. And Canal Boat magazine seems to agree with me.

I have watched the video twice, and it is difficult to see how this could not have been deliberate. The boat was not labelled "Canaltime" after all.

I read the latest 'Canal Boat'yesterday and didn't see anything about him. Was there a relevant article in the news pages?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I have watched the video twice, and it is difficult to see how this could not have been deliberate. The boat was not labelled "Canaltime" after all.

I read the latest 'Canal Boat'yesterday and didn't see anything about him. Was there a relevant article in the news pages?

I believe that what Nick was referring to was the report that said magazine no longer prints any contributions from him. 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

No, but for years he had a full page opinion column in CB every month. Now, nothing for the past 2 months. I’m sure CB won’t actually mention why.

Edited by nicknorman

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No, but for years he had a full page opinion column in CB every month. Now, nothing for the past 2 months.

I used to read it regularly and found it down-to-earth, outspoken but not in an unpleasant way. As I think I mentioned earlier, I had several conversations with him when he moored opposite us last year, and he was affable. I am sorry to see that he appears to have let himself down.

The way you phrased your earlier post made me think that canal Boat had commented upon him or the incident. Thanks for putting me straight.

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

I used to read it regularly and found it down-to-earth, outspoken but not in an unpleasant way. As I think I mentioned earlier, I had several conversations with him when he moored opposite us last year, and he was affable. I am sorry to see that he appears to have let himself down.

The way you phrased your earlier post made me think that canal Boat had commented upon him or the incident. Thanks for putting me straight.

I quite enjoyed his books and was very surprised to later see some of his online comments on Facebook groups were pretty narrow minded and aggressive; and now saddened to see the shocking behaviour in the video.

42 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Could be it's out of character, not saying it is but possibly a mental problem, beginnings of alzheimers? 

Not trying to defend his action but I said this close to the beginning of this topic and it seemed to have been ignored. Sad, but we all risk going that way.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Could be it's out of character, not saying it is but possibly a mental problem, beginnings of alzheimers? 

It’s moderately in character with his writing, but of course I can’t comment whether his column writing bears any resemblance to the real person. Even if it is, I’m not sure that a mental problem is an excuse for that sort of behaviour - at least, failing to understand and admit the bad behaviour in the cold light of the next day. If we as a society accept that “a mental problem” is a valid excuse for any behaviour without remorse, society collapses.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

It’s moderately in character with his writing, but of course I can’t comment whether his column writing bears any resemblance to the real person. Even if it is, I’m not sure that a mental problem is an excuse for that sort of behaviour - at least, failing to understand and admit the bad behaviour in the cold light of the next day. If we as a society accept that “a mental problem” is a valid excuse for any behaviour without remorse, society collapses.

exactly - every antisocial act seems to be excused as a mental health issue...............  it is true, you would have to have a mental health issue to behave like SH.   Fact is we all have mental health issues to some degree, but my generation were taught to control ourselves - it's called self-discipline, but it is no longer fashionable.   

As you say, this will result in the collapse of the society if it is encouraged by the fashionistas and the do-as-you-like PC brigade.

12 hours ago, bizzard said:

Biggest cause of accidents too in my opinion, in cars, in the street and boats, sinking, cilling ect but of course no one ever admits it.

I had to tow a cruiser out of the shallow offside of Billinge Green Flash on the northern Trent & Mersey in October. When I pulled over to him to get the line across, he said "I saw this wide bit so I got my phone out to read an email".

11 hours ago, Murflynn said:

Fact is we all have mental health issues to some degree, but my generation were taught to control ourselves - it's called self-discipline, but it is no longer fashionable.   

This reminds me of my Mum's experience of her Doctor's response to her health issues when going through her forties.  "Get a grip, exercise some self-control.  Your idea that you are in pain is all your fault."

12 hours ago, Murflynn said:

but my generation were taught to control ourselves - it's called self-discipline, but it is no longer fashionable.

Yes we can see this in the OP. Oh wait, it was the young man who showed self restraint while the guy in your generation showed absolutely none.

• Greenie 3

16 minutes ago, eid said:

Yes we can see this in the OP. Oh wait, it was the young man who showed self restraint while the guy in your generation showed absolutely none.

Yes. There's been ranting old gits since time immemorial.  Just as there have been old grumps moaning about the younger generation.

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2019 at 10:29, eid said:

This *could* just be a reflection of who in the film knew there was a video camera recording, and who didn't. :giggles:

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This *could* just be a reflection of who in the film knew there was a video camera recording, and who didn't. :giggles:

I don't think there were any mirrors involved.

eta....speeeling

Edited by Dr Bob

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

True. But it still shows someone of the older generation acting like a complete arsehole without restraint, which was the point.