I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I didn’t want to stir it up again though. I just wanted to say that I’ve only just read this lot and wanted to say thank you for the support and validating my belief that we didn’t do anything wrong. Just hope I don’t bump into the angry little man again! (Or vice versa!)

I wouldnt say that exactly. After all you were in a " Plastic " boat :giggles:

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I posted it within a few weeks of it happening, essentially because I told Steve afterwards in a “conversation” when I found him moored downstream later that afternoon, that he would be able to find the evidence on YouTube. I got the feeling he thought I was bluffing and that I didn’t have any footage of the actual ram. He was so belligerent and pretty much dared me to post it. I’d have filmed that conversation too however he demanded I switch my phone completely off before he said anything so I couldn’t record him. It would have made great listening! The video sat largely unnoticed with a couple of hundred hits until this week when all hell broke loose, and as of this morning it was up to around 14,000!

I don’t regret posting it after all that has happened. I think that he needed exposing as the hypocrite and bully that he is. I’m just glad we were filming. It was only done to be part of a holiday video. Always try to film us mooring just in case we nail a perfect one! Lol. 

And we’ve all been in that position eh? Looking for a mooring and you see that someone else has their eye on it. In his shoes I would have shrugged and moved on. You can hear that we slow down to approach it, not speed up as he asserts at the end, so I really don’t see how we could be seen to do anything wrong. He just got the hump because a lowly hire boat slipped in there first and decided to administer his own type of retribution. Film doesn’t lie tho (and it wasn’t a wide angle lens!) 

Well if it’s any consolation, I can’t see any hint of you doing anything wrong.
Well except for not attaching remotely detonated limpet mines to his boat when you found it later. And next time, have your phone in your pocket set to record the conversation!

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I wouldnt say that exactly. After all you were in a " Plastic " boat :giggles:

Guilty as charged! We did sailed a 100 year old half decker gaff rigged (sailing) Broads boat for a week a few years back. Does that mitigate our sin? We managed to not hit anything and it doesn’t have any reverse gears! 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

19 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Guilty as charged! We did sailed a 100 year old half decker gaff rigged (sailing) Broads boat for a week a few years back. Does that mitigate our sin? We managed to not hit anything and it doesn’t have any reverse gears! 

Most certainly! If you sail on the broads with no isssues then driving a lump of plastic on the Thames is well with your skill set.     Also from what I saw it was a text book coming alongside...until a certain narrow boat attempted a very poor bit of seamanship! 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Dharl said:

Most certainly! If you sail on the broads with no isssues then driving a lump of plastic on the Thames is well with your skill set.     Also from what I saw it was a text book coming alongside...until a certain narrow boat attempted a very poor bit of seamanship! 

I think much of the problems we have on the inland waterways is because a hell of a lot of narrowboat owners have little or in many case zero experience of boating other than their skip on a ditch. This makes some of them think they are actualy experienced boat handlers when the reverse is true of many. My boating tuition started with the best in 1973 and I have driven loads of stuff with licences for some bigger stuff over the years. At present I am again a narrowboater due to the waterway restrictions in the UK, I do however realise its a weird boat lol. Whoever that was that hit the boat in the you tube clip probably wrongly thought he had superiority over the plastic boat for some daft reason. No boat handler could be that bad unless intentional. I wouldnt let that steerer anywhere near anything that I skipper.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Just out of curiosity, was there any noticeable damage to your boat? it seemed to be a fair old clatter he hit you with. I don't know about anyone else but it was the ramming that was so totally unacceptable to me. I can accept that the 'red mist' may have come down for whatever reason and even a bit of irritated shouting (even though you'd done nothing wrong) would even pass without too much controversy, but to deliberately ram another boat? nah, that crosses the line. Some have tried to mitigate his actions with something along the lines of, 'Who hasn't made a mistake?' giving examples of almost running over canoes and sailing dinghies, but what happened there wasn't an 'accident' it was a 'deliberate' and has rightly received general condemnation.

Luckily we were fine. I was a bit stunned at the time so didn’t demand he tie up until we assessed everything. I should have done, but I did dangle off the bow straight after to check we were in one piece! Good fenders are a godsend! 

16 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Just out of curiosity, was there any noticeable damage to your boat? it seemed to be a fair old clatter he hit you with. I don't know about anyone else but it was the ramming that was so totally unacceptable to me. I can accept that the 'red mist' may have come down for whatever reason and even a bit of irritated shouting (even though you'd done nothing wrong) would even pass without too much controversy, but to deliberately ram another boat? nah, that crosses the line. Some have tried to mitigate his actions with something along the lines of, 'Who hasn't made a mistake?' giving examples of almost running over canoes and sailing dinghies, but what happened there wasn't an 'accident' it was a 'deliberate' and has rightly received general condemnation.

Yes, as soon as Haywood hit the grp cruiser it was game set and match - he should have acted with absolute contrition from that point on and the sad fact is that, had he done so and apologised, we would all probably have a completely different opinion of the guy.  Surely every member on here would be mortified at the thought of hitting another boat, particularly in those circumstances

On the strength of the vid he is either incompetent or malicious and it's really worrying that the guy has a media profile.  The reaction of the forum is entirely proportionate.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think much of the problems we have on the inland waterways is because a hell of a lot of narrowboat owners have little or in many case zero experience of boating other than their skip on a ditch. This makes some of them think they are actualy experienced boat handlers when the reverse is true of many. My boating tuition started with the best in 1973 and I have driven loads of stuff with licences for some bigger stuff over the years. At present I am again a narrowboater due to the waterway restrictions in the UK, I do however realise its a weird boat lol. Whoever that was that hit the boat in the you tube clip probably wrongly thought he had superiority over the plastic boat for some daft reason. No boat handler could be that bad unless intentional. I wouldnt let that steerer anywhere near anything that I skipper.

Agree with you there.   I was lucky to be brought up on small sailing and rowing boats where you have to learn how the wind tide and current affects your boat.     Hasn’t made me a perfect boat handler though it does help! 

12 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Yes, as soon as Haywood hit the grp cruiser it was game set and match - he should have acted with absolute contrition from that point on and the sad fact is that, had he done so and apologised, we would all probably have a completely different opinion of the guy.  Surely every member on here would be mortified at the thought of hitting another boat, particularly in those circumstances

On the strength of the vid he is either incompetent or malicious and it's really worrying that the guy has a media profile.  The reaction of the forum is entirely proportionate.

Exactly that. I've only been pottering around the system for about 6 years or so and there is only one occasion that I can think of where I hit any boat with anything like that sort of force, and even though in my unbiased opinion;) it wasn't entirely my fault, I still apologised for it. Just to be clear, it was in Braunston Tunnel where the approaching boat had a really 'good' tunnel light so I couldn't really see very well and completely failed to see the kink about 400 meters in from the eastern portal, which I hit and deflected the boat into the oncoming boat. I still apologised as we passed, but in the blackness of the tunnel couldn't see who they were or if any damage had been caused. I suppose we apologise for accidents, but when it is deliberate, what is the point?

12 minutes ago, Dharl said:

Agree with you there.   I was lucky to be brought up on small sailing and rowing boats where you have to learn how the wind tide and current affects your boat.     Hasn’t made me a perfect boat handler though it does help! 

Yes, I have also sort of come from a variety of sailing vessels and if you deliberately ram another sailing boat it is likely to end up with fisticuffs?. I also don't profess to be a perfect boat handler, but I do know when something is done deliberately.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Film doesn’t lie tho (and it wasn’t a wide angle lens!)

Welcome to the forum!

May I ask what device on which you recorded the fillum? I take an interest in this stuff and record vids of my own. My guess would be one of the little the little GoPro Hero "Session" cube cameras. Am I right? Or even close??!

I too thought "you shitbag" a beautifully measured and appropriately British epithet to hang on the shitbag. 

When he asked if there was anything else you wanted, you missed a trick however. Instead of "your phone number", "your insurance details" would have forced him to either stop and produce them, or be filmed refusing. Just sayin', for next time eh? :giggles:

20 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Welcome to the forum. If we meet out boating somewhere, do I addess you as "That" or "Mr. Guy"?

“Will” will suffice! Or maybe the grim reaper! Lol  But thinking about it, I’d love it if I was spotted at the helm and someone shouted out “look, it’s That Guy”! Lol plenty of other vids on my channel with my ugly mug on there, including one of us sailing the half decker on the Broads, (yes I do agility with my dog too, but you can ignore those!) 

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Welcome to the forum!

May I ask what device on which you recorded the fillum? I take an interest in this stuff and record vids of my own. My guess would be one of the little the little GoPro Hero "Session" cube cameras. Am I right? Or even close??!

I too thought "you shitbag" a beautifully measured and appropriately British epithet to hang on the shitbag. 

When he asked if there was anything else you wanted, you missed a trick however. Instead of "your phone number", "your insurance details" would have forced him to either stop and produce them, or be filmed refusing. Just sayin', for next time eh? :giggles:

Hopefully there won’t be a next time! I was a bit stunned and didn’t handle the situation very well, apart from it seems my exceedingly British approach, which in retrospect could have been improved with a short pause for a sip of Earl Grey between insults! I even called his wife “madam”! Give me a knighthood! 

Filmed with nothing more technical than a Panasonic Camcorder. HC-V380. Only a few hundred quid new but a few years old now! Still does the job it seems, and can pick up guff comments from afar! 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I suppose you think you can't be an experienced skilled car driver unless you have driven trucks, formula 1, horse and cart, etc.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Luckily we were fine. I was a bit stunned at the time so didn’t demand he tie up until we assessed everything. I should have done, but I did dangle off the bow straight after to check we were in one piece! Good fenders are a godsend! 

Hi That Guy

Out of interest, when you returned the hire boat, did you report the incident to the hire company? They would surely have wanted to know in case any damage became apparent later. 

20 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I suppose you think you can't be an experienced skilled car driver unless you have driven trucks, formula 1, horse and cart, etc.

Well, it would appear from his actions that (his claimed) 40 years experience of driving a narrowboat is insufficient to gain reasonable boat handling skills

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

I do agree with broad  sentiment in mrsmelly's post, however. I think that maybe what was behind his comments was that there is nothing to beat hard won experience. This takes time and can be a combination of sailing on a wide range of boats and also cruising on different waters, in good and not so good weather. I have come across many people who tell you that they have been boating for many years, when what they really mean is that they have  hired a boat for a couple of weeks a year, and in between time they read a lot of books about the waterways.  The trouble with boating is that the subject lends itself to punditry which can occasionally even arise, dare I say it, on this forum too!

We should all remember that everyone has to learn, and we should help to pass on any snippet of knowledge we have to others so that we can all improve our skills.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, howardang said:

I do agree with broad  sentiment in mrsmelly's post, however. I think that maybe what was behind his comments was that there is nothing to beat hard won experience. This takes time and can be a combination of sailing on a wide range of boats and also cruising on different waters, in good and not so good weather. I have come across many people who tell you that they have been boating for many years, when what they really mean is that they have  hire a boat for a couple of weeks a year, and in between time they read a lot of books about the waterways.  The trouble with boating is that the subject lends itself to punditry which can occasionally even arise, dare I say it, on this forum too!

We should all remember that everyone has to learn, and we should help to pass on any snippet of knowledge we have to others so that we can all improve our skills.

Howard

Whilst hard won experience is good, it still rather depends upon whether you have been maintaining those hard won skills, that is equally important. I've done a fair bit of offshore sailing but my last major trip was in 2017, if I was crewing with someone now it would be fair to say that my skills would be a little rusty (but it would come back to me after a bit:rolleyes:).

• Greenie 1