I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, reg said:

Not necessarily an invalid point but I believe it is out of place in your post where you say it is evidence you have seen put forward when in fact it is "evidence" you have put  put forward yourself. So in this context I do believe it is important to identify who initially made the statement. 

"

I've watched the video and read this thread, and the evidence I've seen put forward in support of Mr Haywood so far is as follows:

1) The film is purported to be grainy and indistinct

2) The film is shot with a wide angle lense so he appears further from the mooring than he actually was

3) The bloke steering the narrow boat might not have been Mr Haywood

4) Video evidence can be very misleading

Anything else, anyone? 

Yes, I have met him just once when moored in Liverpool and was asked to have a look at his GI installation. During that brief meeting I did not get the same impression of him as the video showed.

My reaction to the video is much the same as the majority but given his age I am forced to think about his mental health. This can not excuse what appeared to have happened but just might explain it. Just maybe its time he gave up handling boats.

As for the comments about what the Canal Boat editor is going to do I have no reason to suppose Steve is "employed" on any different a basis to how I am. That is freelance with no contract, just submitting work to a deadline and getting paid. I don't see what he can do apart from refuse to accept his work & find another writer. Incidently there is probably at least on more article with the magazine being set for the next issue now

The thread has legs yet.

It's not quite followed thought the CWDF arc. Four stages to go.  ;)

1) Yes - there is a parallel thread talking about the same issue

2) No - no-ones flounced yet

3) Yes - there are those asking everyone to stop it generating another 10 pages

4) No - no one has called anyone Hitler yet

5) No - no poll set up yet

6) No -  mod intervention

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Don't forget one of the traits of the psychopath is they come across as thoroughly likeable people, because they incisively suss you out in the blink of an eye and construct a personality specifically to appeal to you, which meets all your unrecognised (by you) wants and needs, in order to begin manipulating you.

Or even a bit like a fascist, like Hitler....

?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Don't forget one of the traits of the psychopath is they come across as thoroughly likeable people, because they incisively suss you out in the blink of an eye and construct a personality specifically to appeal to you, which meets all your unrecognised (by you) wants and needs, in order to begin manipulating you.

like Boris

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, I have met him just once when moored in Liverpool and was asked to have a look at his GI installation. During that brief meeting I did not get the same impression of him as the video showed.

My reaction to the video is much the same as the majority but given his age I am forced to think about his mental health. This can not excuse what appeared to have happened but just might explain it. Just maybe its time he gave up handling boats.

As for the comments about what the Canal Boat editor is going to do I have no reason to suppose Steve is "employed" on any different a basis to how I am. That is freelance with no contract, just submitting work to a deadline and getting paid. I don't see what he can do apart from refuse to accept his work & find another writer. Incidently there is probably at least on more article with the magazine being set for the next issue now

Canal Boat magazine could have quite a scoop: "Steve Haywood reveals what really happened at Thamesgate" 

55 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

have you been watching The Capture on BBC1?

Nope.

But the points is, that the manipulative editing of filmed footage can completely reverse the impression of what happened. I bet a good news editor could snip that footage around and create the impression that the hire boater was the aggressor and Mr Haywood an innocent victim.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope.

But the points is, that the manipulative editing of filmed footage can completely reverse the impression of what happened. I bet a good news editor could snip that footage around and create the impression that the hire boater was the aggressor and Mr Haywood an innocent victim.

Are you sure you haven't watched it? That is the whole plot (but not with a boat, twas a bus iirc,whoops.I think I was sposed to say spoiler alert or summit)

Edited by rusty69

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Yup, hes not my friend, I have met him just once, on the Thames, where there was a potential conflict between boaters and fishermen both wanting to use the same mooring spot. He handled it all well and appeared to be a tolerant person who understood and was interested in the views of other river users. Maybe he is a horrible person but I can only state my own experiences.

In general on this forum I try to stick to stating my own experiences, and if repeating other peoples ideas or opinions or what I have read try to put them in "quotations".

How many of the posters on here who are condemning him have actually met him????

..............Dave

You seem to have a presumption that people are uniform in their behaviour, and black or white when it comes to being a “good bloke” or not. Whereas in fact we all have our good and bad points and our good and bad moments. But inevitably, it is the extremes of that variation that are noticed and on which we are often judged. No doubt Steve can be a nice and empathetic bloke at times. But at other times he can be a boat-ramming red-misted monster. His extreme bad is perhaps much worse than the average person.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just to clarify Tony it was not me, myself, I who asked the question you highlighted in red "Anything else anyone" I was quoting mtb, unfortunately I missed the end quotation mark.

Not that it matters much but simply making a clarification. 

50 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Are you sure you haven't watched it? That is the whole plot (but not with a boat, twas a bus iirc,whoops.I think I was sposed to say spoiler alert or summit)

I am sure. I don't have a telly!

You mean it was about a bus that rammed a hire boat? 

Was it this bus? 

nmoGnQi9EzJS8CFUW1fq0GyyJMqtdvvuo6iZwR9k

"And here we have a wild bus drinking water from a river"

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rumsky said:

I nearly destroyed a sailing dinghy whilst going downstream on the Trent after they did a 90 degree turn around a buoy and ended up straight in front of me. I rammed the engine into reverse and kept it there until I could see they were clear. Not sure how close we were to colliding, but we both sailed off in opposite directions without exchanging more than a worried glance as I think we were both more concerned about changing our underwear. I'm still not sure to this day who was at fault, but I think most people just react on instinct to try and create the least chaos in these situations. 

Whilst under COLREGS (which would apply in this case on the Trent) Sail, in most cases, has right of way, however both vessels have a duty not to place them selves in danger of collision.      The Helmsman knew they were taking a tack by that bouy, but you didnt, they could have signed you to let you know that they were about to change course so that either you could slow down to give them a bit of room, or they could have hold their course a bit longer to tack after you had passed by safely.   

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I am sure. I don't have a telly!

You mean it was about a bus that rammed a hire boat? 

Was it this bus? 

nmoGnQi9EzJS8CFUW1fq0GyyJMqtdvvuo6iZwR9k

"And here we have a wild bus drinking water from a river"

yes thats absolutly spot on!! how did you guess?

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've watched the video and read this thread, and the evidence available in support of Mr Haywood so far is as follows:

1) The film is purported to be grainy and indistinct

2) The film is shot with a wide angle lense so he appears further from the mooring than he actually was

3) The bloke steering the narrow boat might not have been Mr Haywood

4) Video evidence can be very misleading

Anything else, anyone? 

I might have seen a longer version of the video clip...but the chap on the narrowboat very clearly says to the camera his name is Steve Haywood? And the screenshot of his Facebook post right at the end of the video does give his laughable attempt to justify his actions. 

11 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

I might have seen a longer version of the video clip...but the chap on the narrowboat very clearly says to the camera his name is Steve Haywood?

I think those supporting Mr Haywood hold that the chap on the NB is lying about his identity.

46 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think those supporting Mr Haywood hold that the chap on the NB is lying about his identity.

............... and believe that he is wearing a Steve Haywood lookalike mask.  the whole thing is a set-up, including the tupperware hire boat and the video camera, just to discredit the unfortunate victim which is of course Mr Haywood.

...................................   NOT!!    

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

............... and believe that he is wearing a Steve Haywood lookalike mask.  the whole thing is a set-up, including the tupperware hire boat and the video camera, just to discredit the unfortunate victim which is of course Mr Haywood.

Well it's working a treat!

I think this thread has been running too long, despite making several contributions myself, I was just about to make a spirited defence of Blind Faith and the Spencer Davies Group...

Haywood, not Winwood.... 

[MP wonders off muttering to himself about new glasses and short term memory...]

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I always keep a Steve Haywood mask in my backpack for such occassions.

I keep mine in the ticket drawer. Handy for instant use whenever I feel the red mist coming on. 

This could turn into a thing, couldn’t it?!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I keep mine in the ticket drawer. Handy for instant use whenever I feel the red mist coming on. 

This could turn into a thing, couldn’t it?!

The canal version of Anonymous maybe?

A greyer more beady version demanding free deep heat for all?

Edited by tree monkey