I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Dog said:

No rusty, I wasn't. And neither were any of the other contributors to the thread, probably. 

As I've said earlier, it seems that people are looking at this video and jumping to conclusions, that's all.

Could you perhaps give us a different take then on why it took Haywood 27 seconds (I've just timed it) from when the cruiser first touched the mooring before he hit the boat. By my maths, assuming Haywood was travelling at 3mph he had over 70 feet to take some form of evasive action and chose not to do so. It does beg the question 'Why?'

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Haywood was travelling at 3mph he had over 70 feet to take some form of evasive action and chose not to do so. It does beg the question 'Why?'

Haywood states that he weighs 20 tons and was doing 2 mph which is why he couldn't stop.

Adds 50% to your calculation.

51 minutes ago, Dog said:

No rusty, I wasn't. And neither were any of the other contributors to the thread, probably. 

As I've said earlier, it seems that people are looking at this video and jumping to conclusions, that's all.

I have watched it several times, and each time my reaction is the same, to whit: the narrowboater was in the wrong. It is as simple as that, as a large number of people of this forum have said, he made no serious attempt to avoid the cruiser. It was stationary, alongside, and yet he carried on and hit it! 

Do please explain to us all how we are all wrong. By explain I mean actually describe what the cruiser did wrong, in your opinion, second by second, taking into account that there is a film, with clock counting each second for you to relate each error to.

Edited by Stilllearning

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

To be honest, I reckon I can completely stop my 18 ton boat from 2mph within 27 seconds, even with a slight current running.

It is perfectly clear from the exhaust stack discharge that Mr Haywood made no attempt to stop until a couple of seconds before impact. 

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I could probably be accused of jumping to conclusions.   Here are two I have jumped to:

1.   When a helmsman pushes a tiller hard to starboard he is deliberately intending to change direction.

2.  When a helmsman leaves it to a few seconds before they hit an object before taking action, they they are either blind or had no intention of stopping before hitting the said object.

Both are clearly visible on the video.

• Greenie 1

Am I the only one to think that this thread has run its course? I am not judging either person involved apart from saying that there somecontributors to this thread who may need to ask themselves if they have ever been invloved in similar incidents.  Throwing the first stone comes to mind.

Why not draw a line and move on!

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

Am I the only one to thin thatbthis threadvhas run its course? I am not judging either person involved apart from saying that there somecontributors to this thread who may need to ask themselves if they have ever been invloved in similar incidents.  Throwing the first stone comes to mind.

Howard

There speaks the voice of reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by rusty69

10 minutes ago, howardang said:

Am I the only one to thin thatbthis threadvhas run its course? I am not judging either person involved apart from saying that there somecontributors to this thread who may need to ask themselves if they have ever been invloved in similar incidents.  Throwing the first stone comes to mind.

Howard

Tend to agree. As far as I am concerned he was in the wrong but the vilification across the Web has become in my opinion a bit over the top. The hire boater who took the film has said as much over on Facebook. 

I'm sure that that if you don't agree with this you will let me know. 

Edited by reg