I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It's certainly not twaddle if the boat is a cruiser

A cruiser usually has a flat stern and is not so good at going backwards and certainly difficult to control reversing against a river current.

it wouldn't be twaddle either if it was the Queen Mary - but we all know that MtB was referring to Haywood's boat which looks suspiciously like a narrowboat in the video (but I may be mistaken because as stated earlier the video is very fuzzy (NOT!!!!)), so why introduce unnecessary polemic?

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

it wouldn't be twaddle either if it was the Queen Mary - but we all know that MtB was referring to Haywood's boat which looks suspiciously like a narrowboat in the video (but I may be mistaken because as stated earlier the video is very fuzzy (NOT!!!!)), so why introduce unnecessary polemic?

It wasn't me who started the suggestion that mooring stern to the flow is the best idea...   which it isn't unless perhaps single handed in a narrowboat.

Both boats in this case had  crew aboard.

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It wasn't me who started the suggestion that mooring stern to the flow is the best idea...   which it isn't unless perhaps single handed in a narrowboat.

Both boats in this case had  crew aboard.

I think you've lost the plot - nobody said you started the suggestion.  MtB's explanation was perfectly clear and it is completely valid for a narrowboat in all conditions, including single handed.  Your use of the word 'perhaps' is, frankly, sarcastic and could be interpreted as being bloody rude.   

It is without doubt the safest way to moor up in a current without risk.  Taking advantage of the ferry glide principle is overlooked by many helmsmen, probably because they have little experience of rivers.  I recall learning the technique in 1961, how about you?

Shut the door on your way out.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 3
  • Unimpressed 2

16 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

It is without doubt the safest way to moor up in a current without risk.  Taking advantage of the ferry glide principle is overlooked by many helmsmen, probably because they have little experience of rivers.  I recall learning the technique in 1961

I have only a mere 11 years experience but all of it on the R.Trent including the tidal river ...  but in cruisers not narrowboats. 

Even so the steering in reverse with stern  into the flow on a narrowboat must be worse than  it us in forward gear facing into the flow . ?

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm not sure about prosecutions however, there is only merit in them for more serious incidents involving injury or loss of life, not for just being a dick (the courts would soon get clogged up if that were a defining factor).

The courts will never get clogged up with such incidents, because the police and CPS will not undertake such cases. If the damage is less than £500 the police will usually refuse to take it on, while the CPS will assess whether the damage caused, even if considerably more than that, is less than the cost to them of prosecuting. It has become a book-keeping exercise rather than seeking justice for the sake of public safeguarding.

It then comes down to whether anybody else feels strongly enough about it, and most will not, even if they knew they could do this.

The alternative option the police do have is to issue a formal caution, which would be of some value in a case such as this, although a waste of time with most routine offenders.

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have only a mere 11 years experience but all of it on the R.Trent including the tidal river ...  but in cruisers not narrowboats. 

Even so the steering in reverse with stern  into the flow on a narrowboat must be worse than  it us in forward gear facing into the flow . ?

Given the choice in our 70 foot narrowboat, on a river, I always prefer to reverse in to a spot against the flow.

When in our sailing boat, coming alongside the pontoon at Wells, we always turn into the flow (tidal),and wouldn't dream of reversing in.I now its not exactly the same situation.

3 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

The courts will never get clogged up with such incidents, because the police and CPS will not undertake such cases. If the damage is less than £500 the police will usually refuse to take it on, while the CPS will assess whether the damage caused, even if considerably more than that, is less than the cost to them of prosecuting. It has become a book-keeping exercise rather than seeking justice for the sake of public safeguarding.

It then comes down to whether anybody else feels strongly enough about it, and most will not, even if they knew they could do this.

The alternative option the police do have is to issue a formal caution, which would be of some value in a case such as this, although a waste of time with most routine offenders.

It will be a sad day when all boats have cameras and video recording and get the police/courts involved everytime a boater makes an error of judgement or has a moment of madness, we will end up just like cyclists.

The canals are a place where reputation and gentlemanly behaviour is what its all about and I hope that never changes.

Can't the plastic boat man just challenge Mr Haywood to a duel or something like that?

..............Dave

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

It will be a sad day when all boats have cameras and video recording and get the police/courts involved everytime a boater makes an error of judgement or has a moment of madness, we will end up just like cyclists.

The canals are a place where reputation and gentlemanly behaviour is what its all about and I hope that never changes.

Can't the plastic boat man just challenge Mr Haywood to a duel or something like that?

Show Reply

..............Dave

I garnered the impression that the plastic boat man was content with his name & shame tactic of some months back; it is others who have reacted to the wider publication of the video since then.

Just now, rusty69 said:

When you say "something like that", you mean a dual I spose!

I am crap at spelling so I used Google to decide if it was dual or duel, are you saying that Google told me fibs ? :)

but I have just spent a couple of hours in the Holy Inadequate so both the fingers and eyesight have gone a bit second best.

.................Dave

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dmr said:

I am crap at spelling so I used Google to decide if it was dual or duel, are you saying that Google told me fibs ? :)

but I have just spent a couple of hours in the Holy Inadequate so both the fingers and eyesight have gone a bit second best.

.................Dave

No, I think duel is correct.Beer googles or not.Great pub name btw. I assume it is a pub.

Just now, dmr said:

.................Dave

It is duel

he’s having a play on words

they should use tasers

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

It is duel

he’s having a play on words

they should use tasers

After the last few days I am understandably a bit slow,

Tasers at dawn is a rather nice idea.

...............Dave

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

No, I think duel is correct.Beer googles or not.Great pub name btw. I assume it is a pub.

Sadly its a ten min walk so does not really qualify as a canalside pub, but if it did it could well be the No 1.

It is The reason to visit Stoke on Trent.

........................Dave

3 hours ago, dmr said:

As has been said above (somewhere) there is very little flow on the Thames at present, 

As this was a recent post I just thought it might be worth pointing out that "at present" ie now most of the Thames is on red boards with some areas specially around islands having quite high flow levels. 

59 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

coming alongside the pontoon at Wells, we always turn into the flow (tidal),and wouldn't dream of reversing in.I now its not exactly the same situation.

When coming into Wells, we were told how to approach the pontoon (via VHF) :-

"Come past the mooring heading 'down-tide', turn 180 degrees and approach the mooring heading into the tide and adjust speed until you are not moving over the ground, the tide will push you sideways onto the pontoon"

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

As this was a recent post I just thought it might be worth pointing out that "at present" ie now most of the Thames is on red boards with some areas specially around islands having quite high flow levels. 

Yes, I should have said "at the time of the incident" or "when I was on the Thames a couple of weeks ago".

A scary thing about rivers is that it can all change very quickly.

...........Dave

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

When coming into Wells, we were told how to approach the pontoon (via VHF) :-

"Come past the mooring heading 'down-tide', turn 180 degrees and approach the mooring heading into the tide and adjust speed until you are not moving over the ground, the tide will push you sideways onto the pontoon"

I can't argue with that, but would say the wind direction and strength will certainly play its part too, though fairly sheltered from a westerly.