I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

The guy on the GRP boat also said on FB 

"That’s my video. It was me that he rammed! ? You should have heard the “conversation” afterwards too when I found him moored further downstream. He demanded I turn my phone OFF so I couldn’t record what he said. Not a whiff of an apology from him either. Just an arrogant idiot making out it was all my fault. Everyone that witnessed it (and there were quite a few) knew he’d done it deliberately and backed me 100%. So glad I’d (accidentally) filmed it! ???

haggis

6 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I really must try harder to understand Facebook's security model. Anyway here's a quote from Will Rayner:

"For the record is was me. I was the “Tupperware” skipper, and an experienced one to boot. We’ve had many boats in my family over the years, including on the Thames (not now tho sadly) so we hired one for the week on this occasion. Didn’t expect to be rammed by an arrogant angry man in this manner tho. He needs to chill! ? happy to discuss any element of this that you feel I was in the wrong for. Which side of the waterway should he pass me? Should he not have figured we may be looking for a mooring"

and then a bit later in response to a couple of questions

"Immediately before and after that is said, I dropped my engine speed (watch the video with sound on). It was a jokey acknowledgement from my wife that the CB had his eye on it from a lot further away, but it was 100% ours to calmly claim first. Just because he was arrowing across the river, and not tickling up the bank as we were, doesn’t make it his mooring!"

I’m not surprised that he points out that he is an experienced boater. At no point in the video did he and his crew come across as anything but competent.

3 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

I've also spoken to Steve a few times over the years and this episode doesn't surprise me in the least, sadly.

Thank you Richard.

I have spoken to you a few times over the years, as well, and always thought you to be a sound and sensible person.

Your single sentence confirms everything I thought I had already concluded about Mr Haywood!

• Greenie 1

Just my tupenn'orth.

Not seen either of these points raised (apologies if they have been and I've missed them).

1. If the narrowboat can't stop quickly enough then, given the speed that he was tanking into the gap, how was he planning to stop before taking out the boat already moored downstream?

2. If he knew there were spaces downstream (as he shouted there were) then his suggestion of an ideal solution seems to be for GRP boat not to enter the spot it was lined up for, circle, (somehow missing the narrowboat), go downstream and find one of the clear mooring spots that narrowboat skipper already knows are there. He preferred that to allowing GRP boat to moor and taking one of the spots he could see downstream?  One's a great deal less hassle than the other.

I wouldn't have been half as polite as the chap on the GRP.

Edited by Onionman

1 minute ago, Onionman said:

Just my tupenn'orth.

Not seen either of these points raised (apologies if they have been and I've missed them).

1. If the narrowboat can't stop quickly enough then, given the speed that he was tanking into the gap, how was he planning to stop before taking out the boat already moored downstream?

2. If he knew there were spaces downstream (as he shouted there were) then his suggestion of an ideal solution seems to be for GRP boat not to enter the spot it was lined up for, circle, (somehow missing the narrowboat), go downstream and find one of the clear mooring spots that narrowboat skipper already knows are there. He preferred that to allowing GRP boat to moor and taking one of the spots he could see downstream?  One's a great deal less hassle than the other.

I wouldn't have been half as polite as the chap on the GRP.

Yes, exactly. Your point 1: it did occur to me that since the downstream boat was a steel narrowboat or broadbeam, maybe he was thinking of using it as a large steel fender.

Point 2: the more one thinks about his actions, the less tenable is his position, isn’t it.

Having just checked in our bookcases, we have a copy of his book Narrowboat Dreams. Perhaps I should reread it in the light of this episode?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Having just checked in our bookcases, we have a copy of his book Narrowboat Dreams. Perhaps I should reread it in the light of this episode?

Be more useful this weather if you put it on the fire.

52 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I bought a couple of his books when I was first deciding to get a boat. My dad had a go at reading them first, as I was currently enjoying Marie Brownes 'Narrow' series. 

I asked him what he thought of them. His response was something like "He prattles on in great detail about nothing in particular". 

Still haven't got round to reading them yet. 

For What It's Worth -

1. Don't expect to find a good mooring in Henley -Ya, during peak summer weekends, unless you moor downstream of the bridge where a-very-nice-man  in a lovely old EA style launch will relieve you of somewhat more money than the town moorings, but where you have moor space.

2. In retrospect it's a shame that said obnoxious man didn't moor there - as he might have found or mebe foundered on an huge block of concrete which the Councl won't remove (that's probably why the mooring slot was empty in the first place....)

3. I don't care what other folks say - it's always best to pick up a Thames mooring with your boat facing upstream. You always have more control. There is ALWAYS a current flow of at least 1 mph dowsnstream as a statutory requirement. That's what Lock Keepers are for. (working the locks for boaters is a bonus).

As a fairly regular visitor to the Thames, competition for moorings is not unusual. If you are 'beaten' to a spot, then grin and bear it. There are many arrogant boaters on any waterway, and the Thames certainly has its share. Once at Shepperton lock going upstream, there were several cruisers holding for the lock to empty, and approaching the lock I could see the landing stage empty, so made for it, only to be harangued by a skipper, through a megaphone, that there was a queue. He soon shut up when I suggested that I could lie alongside him. As my blacking was a year old, I suggested that I would not leave many marks. He was even more upset when the lockkeeper put 2 narrowboats in the lock before him. Once out of the lock, hw went like stink to the next lock where on self service, he rejoiced in closing the gates in our faces.

Coming back to this episode, whilst I think Steve Heywood was a complete t**t, if I recall, there are signs at that lock reversing the normal protocol, and if the cruiser proceeding upstream was not looking to moor, then surely he was in the wrong position. Also, isn't the mooring in question cheaper than the ones downstream? It's certainly a long walk into town .

Edited by Ex Brummie

4 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Coming back to this episode, whilst I think Steve Heywood was a complete t**t, if I recall, there are signs at that lock reversing the normal protocol, and if the cruiser proceeding upstream was not looking to moor, then surely he was in the wrong position. Also, isn't the mooring in question cheaper than the ones downstream? It's certainly a long walk into town .

But a much shorter walk to Tescos :giggles:

On 13/10/2019 at 12:51, Highwayman999 said:

This made me chuckle. From an article he wrote for Canal Boat Magazine. May 2019.

"Now let me spell this out for fear there should be any ambiguity. There is NO place for rudeness on the canal, there is NO place for canal rage, NO place for bad language. All this we would agree on. But there should be NO place for entitlement either. It doesn't matter how big your boat is, how much it cost you, how many decades you've been on the cut and how much more you know about canals than anyone else. Once you are afloat you are part of an egalitarian community in which, whoever you are, you have a right to the same treatment and respect as anyone else. And this means you have the responsibility to treat them as you'd wish to be treated."

The last sentence almost seems like an invitation ...   ?

36 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

Has the apocolpyse begun? 

It's up and running now - in fact it would seem that there really is no such thing as bad publicity because Mr Haywood's article titled 'Let's Ban The Bullies' is in first place on Canal Boat's most read list. Ironically this is an article inspired by a couple who hired a boat and got very upset because they were "set upon" (I don't believe it was physically though) by other boaters and "abandoned" by a volunteer and had several other narrowboat related spats through out their day. Mr Haywood is very defensive of this couple, sating in his article that more tolerance is definitely needed on the canals. 

6E79F4EB-F662-4B09-B4F7-20FC40BA52E2.png

Nope I take it back the site seems to have gone down again. 

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The mind bogles. In Englandshire, it is currently 14.51. Are you an hour ahead?

And the piccy shows at 1:42 and posted at about 2:30. If I was an hour ahead would it not be 4 o'clock now :blink:

Beagle will you stop confuzzeling me :wacko:

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Beagle will you stop confuzzeling me :wacko:

Oh, no.I fink I confused myself whilst trying to confuse you.

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

If I was an hour ahead would it not be 4 o'clock now :blink:

No, if you were an hour ahead it would be 1609:blink: