I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Goliath said:

The boaters on the cruiser blatantly pinched the space. A voice saying “quick, before that narrowboat” can be heard. They knew they were being sneaks. 

The shouty bloke on the  narrowboat would have seen he’d lost out and should have avoided the collision by reacting sooner and steering away from the sneaky boaters.

I can only conclude the shouty bloke was drunk. 

I don't think the colregs care what was said between the skipper and the crew or what they were thinking at the time, it's about actions. The cruiser was on the correct side of the river to take the mooring with minimal manoeuvering and was closer to the mooring to start with, whereas the narrowboat was further away and had to maneuver across the river (cutting in front of the bows of an oncoming boat in the process). So I've no idea how you've come to the conclusion that the cruiser stole the mooring from the narrowboat? 

Edited by blackrose

5 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

:unsure: Given his obvious lack of ability I would suggest he would probably have been hitting other boats to get in (IS it a contact sport? he seems to think so).

I think you mean he thinks it's a combat sport?

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

No rights at all. 

Who dares wins?

Is that what your thinking?

to be clearer:

a voice is heard to say something like “let’s get there before the narrowboat” which implies to me they knew the narrowboat had intentions to moor in that spot. 

So they should have chosen to go to another spot. 

Complete nonsense. The cruiser may have had some idea that the narrowboat wanted that spot given Haywards first erratic manouvvre but they wouldn't have known for sure and had every right to take the mooring because they were closer and more importantly could do it safely.

On the Thames if you wait for boats that are further away and on the other side of the river to see if they may potentially take a mooring before taking it oneself, then you may end up missing every mooring.

We don't know what was being said on the narrowboat at the time. Possibly Haywood was thinking that the cruiser was going to take the mooring and wanted to get there first which is why he cut across the river so suddenly. So by your rationale he should have chosen to go to another spot too instead of trying to "steal" the mooring from the cruiser? Your line of thinking ends with everyone waiting for everyone else - in other words a complete mess!

People can think and say all sorts of things, but there are rules and regs and in the event of an accident it's what they did that counts.

Edited by blackrose

7 hours ago, dmr said:

The bad news is that I appear to be in a minority of one, even my wife does not agree with me, but the better news is that we are currently moored  just above Stone for a couple of days and Goliath is right in front of us. Yesterday we had a spectacular all day session at the Borehole and tonight we have been to the Swan and drunk even more. Tomorrow we need to move on but its only a day to the Holy Inadequate. I still think I am right but enjoying boating is much more important than talking about boating, and getting the police or CRT involved in minor boating disputes is not a good idea.

...............Dave

I see, so you are hiding behind Goliath in case Steve comes by? ?

7 hours ago, Goliath said:

to be clearer:

a voice is heard to say something like “let’s get there before the narrowboat” which implies to me they knew the narrowboat had intentions to moor in that spot. 

"something like" - so equally could have meant - there's a space over there, we're planning to moor so let's move into it quickly so we get out of the main channel (and out of the way of the narrow boat which is proceeding past)

And so another day dawns. The solemn clouds march inexorably across the steely sky. The once mighty, soon to evaporate into endless nothingness. 

The scales of justice have been loaded, the jury is out, all opinions however DeMonstRably ludicrous have been considered. The accused has yet to be heard from in the hallowed grounds of the CWDF lynch courts.The highly qualified baying mob have had their say. 

Perhaps a new bit of evidence will be forthcoming, in this gritty drama. Who can say. 

One thing is for sure, justice will be done!

Edited by rusty69

9 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Fank yoo.

At the end of the day...he is an a**e.?

Not just the end of the day, at any time of the day! ?

9 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Fank yoo.

At the end of the day...he is an a**e.?

Not just the end of the day, at any time of the day! ?

15 hours ago, Goliath said:

The boaters on the cruiser blatantly pinched the space. A voice saying “quick, before that narrowboat” can be heard. They knew they were being sneaks. 

At the beginning of video the hire boat can be heard talking about whether they will fit into the mooring, he says they will and then she cheers a little saying "yeeeeah" adding "quick before that canal boat" she says it with no malice or sneakiness - she says that at 25 second and at 29 seconds the engines of the hire boat can clearly be heard slowing down and all this time the narrowboat was still many metres further away from the morning than the hire boat so I'm not sure how you could determine they were being sneaks. 

Had the hire boat not come in to moor then the narrowboat placed it's self in the path of an oncoming boat. 

7 hours ago, Goliath said:

to be clearer:

At no point did anybody on the hire boat say this. 

7 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

What cross forum posting?

I reckon this is a milestone moment when CWDF and Thunderboat  are both in total agreement. 

Phil

What is this Thunderboat of which you speak? I was talking about mumsnet, another of my favourite forums.

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

If a car had deliberately rammed another car,then the driver would be prosecuted for dangerous driving possibly with intent to endanger life added on.

Don't know what law he could be prosecuted under (maritime or civil) but he should be held to account for his actions.

Because of the damage likely to his professional reputation,to avoid further flak on here and other forums,a grovelling public apology might be in order.Then this incident would probably be forgotten in a week.

Edited by Mad Harold

6 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

If a car had deliberately rammed another car,then the driver would be prosecuted for dangerous driving possibly with intent to endanger life added on.

Don't know what law he could be prosecuted under (maritime or civil) but he should be held to account for his actions.

Wilful damage to property might be the most likely route.

51 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Surely the point is that if somebody "steals" the mooring you are aiming for (and I am not saying they did in this case) you grit your teeth, smile and carry on, not aim for and ram their boat.

Neatly summarised.

Greenied. 

8 hours ago, Goliath said:

No rights at all. 

Who dares wins?

Is that what your thinking?

to be clearer:

I'm thinking that the narrowboat should have just got over it - he was further away and arrived there second. His exclaimation of "come on, you can't do that" seems to suggest he believed he had some right over the mooring that he absolutely didn't have. Whether or not the cruiser knew the narrowboat had intentions to moor there or otherwise, they also had intentions to moor there. No one stole a mooring from anyone else and the cruiser was well wthin their rights to take the mooring. I honestly am not sure why you believe they should have chosen to go to another spot.

The bloke on the narrowboat acted like a  dick. 

Agreed! And surely at 1.04 in the video, he could more than easily have turned his boat away from the cruiser - he had bags to time to turn. Absolute codswallop that he couldn't avoid the collision.

Edited by NB Caelmiri

8 hours ago, dmr said:

The bad news is that I appear to be in a minority of one,

No, that nice Mr Dog agrees with you, so a minority of two.

Although one gets the impression he is only posting in this thread to be contrary and stir things up. 

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

And so another day dawns. The solemn clouds march inexorably across the steely sky. The once mighty, soon to evaporate into endless nothingness. 

The scales of justice have been loaded, the jury is out, all opinions however DeMonstRably ludicrous have been considered. The accused has yet to be heard from in the hallowed grounds of the CWDF lynch courts.The highly qualified baying mob have had their say. 

Perhaps a new bit of evidence will be forthcoming, in this gritty drama. Who can say. 

One thing is for sure, justice will be done!

Rather reminds me of the Groucho Marx quote," Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?" :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Goliath said:

Well, they were closest.

The fact that two people want a single mooring doesn't mean that the one that got there first pinched it.

I watched the video without sound, but it seems reasonable to me that the yoghurt pot was closest to the mooring, and would in the ordinary course of things get there first. If they see Mr Haywood going hell for leather to try and get in before them, then it would not be unreasonable to suggest that they get on with it lest THEIR spot be nicked by Mr Haywood,

• Greenie 4

The cruiser skipper has commented on FB, here (public group so I think anyone can see it)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NarrowboatOwnersGroup/permalink/2462548477356759/?comment_id=2462578547353752&reply_comment_id=2462716424006631

4 minutes ago, mayalld said:

Well, they were closest.

The fact that two people want a single mooring doesn't mean that the one that got there first pinched it.

I watched the video without sound, but it seems reasonable to me that the yoghurt pot was closest to the mooring, and would in the ordinary course of things get there first. If they see Mr Haywood going hell for leather to try and get in before them, then it would not be unreasonable to suggest that they get on with it lest THEIR spot be nicked by Mr Haywood,

... although in fact they reduced speed at that point, rather than racing for the spot..

The lock was set for this bloke but I nipped in first!

Then this happened! (There is another pic of the thing stopping about 2 m behind our boat but it failed to load.)  it was all ok . the lockkeeper told us to go in first but we did move up a bit.IMG_0787.JPG.18817769d59adc607c5f5f6060408071.JPG

Edited by Bee
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope!

What does he say?

I really must try harder to understand Facebook's security model. Anyway here's a quote from Will Rayner:

"For the record is was me. I was the “Tupperware” skipper, and an experienced one to boot. We’ve had many boats in my family over the years, including on the Thames (not now tho sadly) so we hired one for the week on this occasion. Didn’t expect to be rammed by an arrogant angry man in this manner tho. He needs to chill! ? happy to discuss any element of this that you feel I was in the wrong for. Which side of the waterway should he pass me? Should he not have figured we may be looking for a mooring"

and then a bit later in response to a couple of questions

"Immediately before and after that is said, I dropped my engine speed (watch the video with sound on). It was a jokey acknowledgement from my wife that the CB had his eye on it from a lot further away, but it was 100% ours to calmly claim first. Just because he was arrowing across the river, and not tickling up the bank as we were, doesn’t make it his mooring!"

About the only thing that can be said to pick holes in the video is that it looks to me to have been filmed using a wide angle lens which exaggerates the distance away things (e.g. narrow boats) appear to be.

This means Mr Angry Haywood was nearer to the mooring than it looks in the film, and darted across the river even more sharply than it appears in the film, and inconvenienced that GRP cruiser he steered across the bows of more than you'd imagine, from watching the film.

• Greenie 1