I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, dmr said:

And if it was an intentional impact why on earth did he send his wife forward to fend?

Well firstly, some women have minds of their own and don’t need a man to ‘send’ them up to the front, in my limited experience of them!

But setting that  aside, my reading of her scurrying quickly along the side deck was that she knew her bloke has a habit of ramming boats who piss him off and she knew what was about to happen, so was hurrying in an attempt to defuse the situation. 

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

The boaters on the cruiser blatantly pinched the space. A voice saying “quick, before that narrowboat” can be heard. They knew they were being sneaks.

How did they pinch the space? They were closer and were at the mooring first. What right did the narrowboat have over the cruiser to that mooring?

5 hours ago, dmr said:

He is heading for the gap and then steers in even more steeply before suddenly turning away at the last minute. Why? And if it was an intentional impact why on earth did he send his wife forward to fend?

Point of order, (although I know nothing of My Haywood's marital status, I admit!)

What is sign written on the boat is

S P Haywood & M C Haynes

Perhaps that isn't a Mrs Haywood?

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

she knew what was about to happen, so was hurrying in an attempt to defuse the situation. 

Beyond wanting to pass judgement on this, but if you read his books, I think it is fair to say that Em can be a bit of a hothead too (recalling an incident he writes about on the Wey Navigation at Pyford, involving a riverside home’s decking).

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Because its much harder to stop when heading downstream, and you do sort of have right of way? However I suspect the flow on the Thames in July was probably almost insignificant.

With the angle of Steves boat, and with any significant flow, a hard reverse would have been risky.

He should have dropped the revs and turned away sooner, but we all make mistakes, and there is a big difference between an error of judgement and a deliberate ramming.

..............Dave

Dave, normally you are pretty sensible and with judgement I would respect. In this case you are barking! The cruiser was effectively stationary on the mooring, with the crew member on the bank, many, many seconds before Steve arrived (I haven’t bother to re-run it but surely at least 10 seconds. He didn’t have to stop, he just had to avoid pointing his boat at the bow of the cruiser. He didn’t try, hence it was obviously deliberate.

• Greenie 4

1 minute ago, The Dreamer said:

Moira Haynes, commonly referred to as Em, and yes they are married

I would have put Haynes at the helm. At the very least she may have offered a step by step concisive guide on how to avoid a collision,with a helpful exploded schematic on avoidance techniques. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Dave, normally you are pretty sensible and with judgement I would respect. In this case you are barking! The cruiser was effectively stationary on the mooring, with the crew member on the bank, many, many seconds before Steve arrived (I haven’t bother to re-run it but surely at least 10 seconds. He didn’t have to stop, he just had to avoid pointing his boat at the bow of the cruiser. He didn’t try, hence it was obviously deliberate.

I'm still convinced that he was aiming to put his bow between them and the bank, forcing them out, the cruiser moving forwards scuppered his knuckle dragging manoeuvre. 

• Greenie 2

30 minutes ago, BWM said:

I'm still convinced that he was aiming to put his bow between them and the bank, forcing them out, the cruiser moving forwards scuppered his knuckle dragging manoeuvre. 

does it matter?  what he was aiming to do and what he succeeded in doing were both wrong.    he is an eejit and shouldn't be allowed on EA waters.

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

Dave, what about the fact that Haywood cut across the bows of a boat in his haste to get to the mooring right at the beginning of the video? That contravened the coltegs and you seem to be ignoring that. I can't help thinking that you're defending the indefensible simply because you know the guy. 

And further to Mike's observation, lets imagine the hire boat was not planning to take the vacant mooring.

It looks to me as though that nice Mr Haywood was planning to repeat the same dangerous manoeuvre, rudely cutting across the bows of the hire boat approaching the space.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would have put Haynes at the helm. At the very least she may have offered a step by step concisive guide on how to avoid a collision,with a helpful exploded schematic on avoidance techniques. 

And after the impact she could have (un)helpfully told us that to go back again is the reverse of going forwards.

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sadly Chris McGine appears only to be 'acting editor'. 

https://www.canalboat.co.uk/contact-us

Deputy Editor Martin Ludgate might be a better person to bring into the loop.

martin.ludgate@archant.co.uk

He has now been confirmed as the full time editor.

Whilst also going with the general condemnation of Haywood being a total idiot, just as another take on the incident; given his apparent inability to helm a boat proficiently and since the Boat Listing gives only one boat called 'Justice' at 57'6"

image.png.66d4852d08f45cd09260bde92565451f.png

can we say with any degree of confidence that Haywood had sufficient skills to put a boat that long into that mooring gap anyway?:unsure: Given his obvious lack of ability I would suggest he would probably have been hitting other boats to get in (IS it a contact sport? he seems to think so).

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Before getting to carried away and complaining to the 'papers' do we know 'for sure' that :

1) This was Steve Haywood's boat

2) He was the skipper at the time

It would be all too easy for any Richard Cranium to pluck a name out of the air.

Is the skipper definitely recognised as Steve Haywood ?

It's him,I've met him !

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I also notice that that nice Mr Haywood shouted at the hire boat that there were plenty of mooring spaces further along.

He could easily have gone back and used one of those couldn't he?

I think his inflated sense of entitlement may have been obstructing the way back.

Don't you know who I am ????

• Haha 1

Appalling behaviour! I've read his books and liked him but since have had arguments with him on several Facebook groups where he really came across as an @rse...totally changed my opinion of him. Pleasing to see such a broad consensus on the forum about this video! Having been on the Thames all of July I can confirm there was absolutely no flow. So he cannot blame the flow on what happens. It is only in the last 3 weeks that the river has started to flow, catching out a lot of boats!

3 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

How did they pinch the space? They were closer and were at the mooring first. What right did the narrowboat have over the cruiser to that mooring?

No rights at all. 

Who dares wins?

Is that what your thinking?

to be clearer:

a voice is heard to say something like “let’s get there before the narrowboat” which implies to me they knew the narrowboat had intentions to moor in that spot. 

So they should have chosen to go to another spot. 

The bloke on the narrowboat acted like a  dick. 

Edited by Goliath

The bad news is that I appear to be in a minority of one, even my wife does not agree with me, but the better news is that we are currently moored  just above Stone for a couple of days and Goliath is right in front of us. Yesterday we had a spectacular all day session at the Borehole and tonight we have been to the Swan and drunk even more. Tomorrow we need to move on but its only a day to the Holy Inadequate. I still think I am right but enjoying boating is much more important than talking about boating, and getting the police or CRT involved in minor boating disputes is not a good idea.

...............Dave

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Does Steve Heywood die his eye brows?

is this a natural phenomenon with some old people? : their hair goes very grey but not the eyebrows 

Have you been drinking?