I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

If you look at the video at 36 secs It is clear that the hire boat is coming alongside the moored narrowboat just in front of the mooring. The approaching narrowboat is still a good distance away but seems to make no effort to change direction. 

At 44 secs it is obvious that the hire boat has the mooring

I've made my mind up. 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The boaters on the cruiser blatantly pinched the space. A voice saying “quick, before that narrowboat” can be heard. They knew they were being sneaks. 

The shouty bloke on the  narrowboat would have seen he’d lost out and should have avoided the collision by reacting sooner and steering away from the sneaky boaters.

I can only conclude the shouty bloke was drunk. 

I heard the same around the yeah bit as well, To be honest though once I had realised the mooring had gone I would have steered away.

I did 2 weeks on the Thames in 2008 and number of times I had cruisers overtake me whilst coming in to moor and steal the place. Same happened to us a couple of years ago on the Trent, unfortunately 80 ton ex working boats cant stop that fast and the cruiser just managed to escape with its life! Shame really I love the sound of broken Glass ?

29 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The boaters on the cruiser blatantly pinched the space. A voice saying “quick, before that narrowboat” can be heard. They knew they were being sneaks. 

what on earth is sneaky about making sure you secure a mooring before another boat gets there, unless you do it at a reckless speed or in a dangerous manner? 

it's not as if Haywood was manouvering into the slot and the hire boat nipped in first.

Haywood was 'miles' away.

• Greenie 1

It's obvious from the tiller movement that Steve aimed for the narrowboat, he straightens the tiller when he's lined up. If he had taken the tiller hard to port instead of starboard he would have missed. 

Owning both a narrow boat (which I've taken on the Thames) and a cruiser I'd suggest those beginning any kind of defence of Mr Haywood are being very narrow-boat centric, and possibly rather biased to boot.

From the wheel of a cruiser that mooring is theirs, Haywood is a country mile away and they are in position on the mooring before he is anywhere near. It's only a narrow boater expecting exceptions to be made for them that would think otherwise. Note, not thinking it's like the canal, but realising it is a big river full of nippy yoghurt pots and expecting allowances to be made. 

I simply wouldn't attempt to come into a mooring in that fashion in a narrow boat on the Thames (reminder - I have been there on Lutine Bell). I'm not sure Haywood could have stopped before he got to the next boat, or before he clobbered the bank. 

If the current wasn't an issue, as some say, Haywood could have stopped, if it was he shouldn't have attempted an approach from upstream. 

8 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

It's obvious from the tiller movement that Steve aimed for the narrowboat, he straightens the tiller when he's lined up. If he had taken the tiller hard to port instead of starboard he would have missed. 

Jim I thought it was the cruiser he was aiming for?

3 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Owning both a narrow boat (which I've taken on the Thames) and a cruiser I'd suggest those beginning any kind of defence of Mr Haywood are being very narrow-boat centric, and possibly rather biased to boot.

From the wheel of a cruiser that mooring is theirs, Haywood is a country mile away and they are in position on the mooring before he is anywhere near. It's only a narrow boater expecting exceptions to be made for them that would think otherwise. Note, not thinking it's like the canal, but realising it is a big river full of nippy yoghurt pots and expecting allowances to be made. 

I simply wouldn't attempt to come into a mooring in that fashion in a narrow boat on the Thames (reminder - I have been there on Lutine Bell). I'm not sure Haywood could have stopped before he got to the next boat, or before he clobbered the bank. 

If the current wasn't an issue, as some say, Haywood could have stopped, if it was he shouldn't have attempted an approach from upstream. 

That sums up the case for the prosecution :) 

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Why do the police regularly appeal for dashcam footage if it is such poor evidence?

Because it is the only evidence they can get, that's why.  You know, and I know, that CCTV film is usually absolute rubbish quality. 

Apparently you can read a newspaper from outer space, but you can't see the little shit that robs the local shop....

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

Because it is the only evidence they can get, that's why.  You know, and I know, that CCTV film is usually absolute rubbish quality. 

Apparently you can read a newspaper from outer space, but you can't see the little shit that robs the local shop....

Unfortunately, the film of the incident in question is quite good quality. Unfortunately, for Mr Haywood, at least.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

35 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Why do the police regularly appeal for dashcam footage if it is such poor evidence?

Because we have all seen the video in the first post but the description of the content varies greatly from person to person, showing how unreliable an eyewitness account can be.  So even if the quality is poor, the court can see what actually happened.

10 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't read any newspapers thank you.  Our comparatively inexpensive CCTV when we had the jewellers gave very good results sufficient for the police to recognise and arrest the culprits.  Also Crime watch road show seems to use CCTV to catch quite a number of criminals as did Crime Watch itself when it was a monthly evening prime time show.

So no I don't know CCTV is usually rubbish.   Do you own and run a CCTV set up?

7 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Because we have all seen the video in the first post but the description of the content varies greatly from person to person, showing how unreliable an eyewitness account can be.  So even if the quality is poor, the court can see what actually happened.

More or less my point you can't write CCTV footage off just because you don't agree with what it shows as Dog seems to be doing.

I have looked again and come to the conclusion that what he was planning to do was get inside the bow of the cruiser and force it back out - hence sending crew down to take the rope ashore.

A considerably more dangerous and arrogant manoeuvre given the position of the crew member on the bankside of the cruiser. It was never his mooring anyway, just unfortunate that someone closer had already planned to use it.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its a good job he hasn't got an ex working boat

It is equally quite refreshing that Nick is occasional prepared to acknowledge that such behaviours are possible even from those who have not!

Truly Awful behaviour. An arrogant, petulant and dangerous individual. Cruiser was well ahead. This is shocking footage showing someone behave in a manner likely to endanger people and craft. He is lucky the chap on the cruiser was so well behaved and tolerant. 

• Greenie 2

Whilst I am a mild mannered chap. If the owner of that narrowboat does that to me if we meet on the river/canal system, You will be getting a slap!! A grade one, first class prick. If he asks I will give him some boat handling lessons and instruct him as to how easily he could have avoided the collision. I do not believe he could possibly be anyone with any influence whatsoever in the boating world!! perhaps he got something on his prop?

• Happy 1

Just now, alan_fincher said:

... that forced his tiller over, so he had no choice but to point straight at the cruiser! ?

Yes, I know Alan, I was trying to give a possible cop out for a bloke who should know much better whom I dont think I have met and am honestly astounded to find must be a total prick ?

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Is that right? I thought that on a river, the vessel going downstream is normally the stand on vessel as it has less scope for manoeuvring. That’s in no way to try to exonerate Steve Haywood as he had the full width of the river to use and deliberately steered into the other craft, a clear failure to take ”proper and effective action to avoid collision”.

There is something in that.

If say two boats approach a bridge  from opposite directions the boat travelling downstream has priority. 

However in this case there was no bridge nor any other restriction. The narrowboat should have turned to starboard to avoid the collision. 

• Greenie 2