I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

This made me chuckle. From an article he wrote for Canal Boat Magazine. May 2019.

"Now let me spell this out for fear there should be any ambiguity. There is NO place for rudeness on the canal, there is NO place for canal rage, NO place for bad language. All this we would agree on. But there should be NO place for entitlement either. It doesn't matter how big your boat is, how much it cost you, how many decades you've been on the cut and how much more you know about canals than anyone else. Once you are afloat you are part of an egalitarian community in which, whoever you are, you have a right to the same treatment and respect as anyone else. And this means you have the responsibility to treat them as you'd wish to be treated."

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Highwayman999 said:

This made me chuckle. From an article he wrote for Canal Boat Magazine. May 2019.

"Now let me spell this out for fear there should be any ambiguity. There is NO place for rudeness on the canal, there is NO place for canal rage, NO place for bad language. All this we would agree on. But there should be NO place for entitlement either. It doesn't matter how big your boat is, how much it cost you, how many decades you've been on the cut and how much more you know about canals than anyone else. Once you are afloat you are part of an egalitarian community in which, whoever you are, you have a right to the same treatment and respect as anyone else. And this means you have the responsibility to treat them as you'd wish to be treated."

Lol, nice find :giggles:

Might add that as a comment to the youtube video!!

46 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

He wouldn't have even been there in the first place if he hadn't cut across the bows of the first cruiser,ignoring the colregs, as pointed out by blackrose.

The colregs don't always work in practice.  The navigation downstream of Marsh Lock is not so straightforward.  Boats progressing upstream to the lock need to move to the left (east) in order to line up for entering the lock and to avoid the currents downstream of the weir,  and/or to moor up at the lock landing.  Any boat coming out of the lock may reasonably go to the west (their left) to avoid boats that are lining up to enter the lock or to moor up.   

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

The colregs don't always work in practice.  The navigation downstream of Marsh Lock is not so straightforward.  Boats progressing upstream to the lock need to move to the left (east) in order to line up for entering the lock and to avoid the currents downstream of the weir,  and/or to moor up at the lock landing.  Any boat coming out of the lock may reasonably go to the west (their left) to avoid boats that are lining up to enter the lock or to moor up.   

Fair enough. I will retract my statement then.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am aware of that - he could have answered "Winston Churchill", so unless he can be confirmed as Steve Haywood it is moot.

Tumshie provided his photograph so that answered the question.

I have met Steve “in the flesh” and this guy on the video was either him, or his identical twin. Except that he doesn’t have an identical twin.

I “met” him when he collided with our boat coming out of a lock on the Oxford. Not intentionally, just due to incompetence.

Just now, rusty69 said:

"This page isn't available"

Perhaps it sunk?

OOPs just copied a link while viewing the page. Search for him, he turns up top of the steve haywoods, pencil sketch of his phizzog for an avatar.

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I see Steve didn't acknowledge any of your comments linking to the YouTube video.

Give him time, its only been up a few minutes. The Titanic thread was too good an opportunity to miss.

• Greenie 1

This forum can be very judgemental, I have spent a bit of time chatting to Steve and he appeared to be a decent and tolerant bloke.

My take on this:

He was obviously heading for the mooring space but the plastic boat ignored this and went in and "stole the spot".

Its hard to judge distances from the camera, in fact its pretty hard in real life, but Steve believed there was space for two boats. The plastic boat crept forward a bit more than he expected reducing the space but he still thought he would fit, this is why he steers more tightly in as its now a tighter gap, its only at the last minute that he realises he will not fit, either due to an easy error of judgement or because the plastic boat was still drifting forward, this is why he suddenly steers away (maybe he should have done hard reverse but its a trad engine with a big flywheel? so maybe he was right).

We had a very similar situation in the spring when we were heading downstream into a spot and a hire boat suddenly went for the same gap, it can be tricky.

edit to say....watch that video again with a more open mind

..............Dave

Edited by dmr
  • Greenie 1

Just watched it again and the best I can say about the narrowboat was he was going too fast and too close to control his boat.

not sure why you say the plastic boat stole the spot, they both wanted that spot and the plastic boat was closer and had ‘right of way’.

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

This forum can be very judgemental, I have spent a bit of time chatting to Steve and he appeared to be a decent and tolerant bloke.

My take on this:

He was obviously heading for the mooring space but the plastic boat ignored this and went in and "stole the spot".

Its hard to judge distances from the camera, in fact its pretty hard in real life, but Steve believed there was space for two boats. The plastic boat crept forward a bit more than he expected reducing the space but he still thought he would fit, this is why he steers more tightly in as its now a tighter gap, its only at the last minute that he realises he will not fit, either due to an easy error of judgement or because the plastic boat was still drifting forward, this is why he suddenly steers away (maybe he should have done hard reverse but its a trad engine with a big flywheel? so maybe he was right).

We had a very similar situation in the spring when we were heading downstream into a spot and a hire boat suddenly went for the same gap, it can be tricky.

..............Dave

I have just re watched it, and cannot agree with you. Having boated the Thames, Avon, Severn and Kennet, the narrowboat is in the wrong.

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

My take on this:

..............Dave

I've just watched it again with a " more open mind" and came to the same conclusion , the blokes a pillock and rammed him deliberately,  no amount of reasoning will persuade me otherwise, indefensible actions.

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

Can't agree at all, I'm afraid.

The cruiser clearly was well onto it's way into the space, (indeed was in already in it), well ahead of any possibility of Mr Heywood being there.

If My Heywood believed there was any possibility that there was enough room for both boats he should have held back and allowed the cruiser to sort itself out, then suggested it should shuffle.

He had absolutely zero excuse for heading deliberately towards it, and then to make no attempt to stop until it was inevitable he would hit it.

Mr Heywood suggesting it takes a long while to stop a narrow boat is irrelevant if he made zero attempt to do so, until far far too late.  He could have stopped tens of yards before any potential incident had he wanted to - he  clearly had no intention of doing so.

It still looks totally indefensible to me.

I would be livid to be on the receiving end of such incompetant and/or arrogant behaviour, (whichever it is).

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I have just re watched it, and cannot agree with you. Having boated the Thames, Avon, Severn and Kennet, the narrowboat is in the wrong.

I've boated on the Thames, Avon (x2), Kennet, Soar, Nene, Ouse, Cam, Weaver, and a few others so I must be right :)

He is heading for the gap and then steers in even more steeply before suddenly turning away at the last minute. Why? And if it was an intentional impact why on earth did he send his wife forward to fend?

...............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

I've boated on the Thames, Avon (x2), Kennet, Soar, Nene, Ouse, Cam, Weaver, and a few others so I must be right :)

He is heading for the gap and then steers in even more steeply before suddenly turning away at the last minute. Why? And if it was an intentional impact why on earth did he send his wife forward to fend?

...............Dave

The cruiser was alongside, with crew on the bank, while the narrowboat was still astern of the boat moored upstream of the cruiser......

• Greenie 2