I never did like Steve Haywood

nicknorman

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It was clear that both boats were going for the same mooring.

However the narrowboat was disobeying the colregs . 

The cruiser was the stand on vessel . The narrowboat was the give way vessel. Had the cruiser not required the mooring the narrowboat should have passed him port to port, which was obviously not going to happen. 

While it seems the narrowboat owner is some sort of journalist he seems to be  novice boater unaware of the rules of the road as defined in the  colregs. 

But even without any knowledge of colregs, the cruiser got there first. Tough. It happens. Still no excuse to ram it.

I wonder if he does the same in his car when someone nabs 'his' parking space.

1 hour ago, dor said:

fI don't do Twitter, but if that comment at the end from Haywood is on it, can the link to the video be added to his twitter account and re-tweeted, so that his followers can see the other side?

This ^^

Unfortunately I don't do Twitter either - does anyone here?

(Waits for Mrsmelly to say only 12 year olds use Twitter and Facebook ?)

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Before getting to carried away and complaining to the 'papers' do we know 'for sure' that :

1) This was Steve Haywood's boat

2) He was the skipper at the time

It would be all too easy for any Richard Cranium to pluck a name out of the air.

Is the skipper definitely recognised as Steve Haywood ?

a screen shot from Canal Boat Magazine showing his picture. 

13F4DA29-1BCC-46C6-A585-78EC04E8AF8E_1_101_o.jpeg

And another that I found online but its not very good

A9A8B182-E85D-45ED-8238-9FD611AE6010_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Tumshie

I also notice that that nice Mr Haywood shouted at the hire boat that there were plenty of mooring spaces further along.

He could easily have gone back and used one of those couldn't he?

I think his inflated sense of entitlement may have been obstructing the way back.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, dmr said:

There is often very little flow on the Thames, and often even less near the bank, it is usually perfectly safe to moor up when heading downstream unless its a very very tight gap, though narrowboats should not be going for tight gaps between plastic or wooden boats. 

It has only been when navigating on yellow boards that we have felt to need to turn to face upstream.

In fact, occasionally when there are moored boats, there can even be a gentle reverse flow at the bank.

..................Dave

We've just come off the Thames and would agree with this.

Doesn't excuse the NB's behaviour though.

What an absolute arsehole.

Indefensible - there is no conceivable explanation other than it was a deliberate act of aggression.

Even if he had misjudged entirely, (which he clearly hasn't), it is obvious he deliberately point his bow at the cruiser, rather than trying to steer away from it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Before getting to carried away and complaining to the 'papers' do we know 'for sure' that :

Yes we do.

The master of the hire boat asks his name right at the end of the video and the answer comes back "Steve Haywood" and he looks just like all the Steve Haywood photos on the internet. 

• Haha 1

Aside from the fact that many people know that his boat is named “Justice”, I have often wondered on the wisdom of having ones names pained on the side too, and personally have never felt the urge .  Certainly if you do you need to be very mindful of publicity, and even more so when you are an author and journalist!

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

The master of the hire boat asks his name right at the end of the video and the answer comes back "Steve Haywood"

I am aware of that - he could have answered "Winston Churchill", so unless he can be confirmed as Steve Haywood it is moot.

Tumshie provided his photograph so that answered the question.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes we do.

The master of the hire boat asks his name right at the end of the video and the answer comes back "Steve Haywood" and he looks just like all the Steve Haywood photos on the internet. 

....and you can clearly see his name signwritten on the boat.  The way that professional boaters do.....

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

The cruiser was the stand on vessel . The narrowboat was the give way vessel

Is that right? I thought that on a river, the vessel going downstream is normally the stand on vessel as it has less scope for manoeuvring. That’s in no way to try to exonerate Steve Haywood as he had the full width of the river to use and deliberately steered into the other craft, a clear failure to take ”proper and effective action to avoid collision”.

5 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

....and you can clearly see his name signwritten on the boat.  The way that professional boaters do.....

I once bought a boat (a Bayliner) with "Wet Wet Wet" on the side - I can assure you I was not a member of that band.

Not everything you read or see is as you think it is.

the rights and wrongs of who was entitled to the mooring are irrelevant (although IMHO it was not Haywood).

but the act of deliberately ramming a GRP boat with a 20 tonne lump of steel is simply a case of criminal damage.  His lame excuse that he couldn't stop in time is laughable. 

I was rammed accidentally by a coxless pair near Abingdon who were overtaking me and simply hadn't seen me because they were too pre-occupied with looking where they had been, not where they were going.   I didn't have the presence of mind to write down the boat's ID number, but the next lockie told me that if I had done so the Environment Agency would have taken action.  There is surely enough evidence in the video to get this nasty piece of work banned from using the Thames.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It would be all too easy for any Richard Cranium to pluck a name out of the air.

Is the skipper definitely recognised as Steve Haywood ?

Edited by nipper
Copyright

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Tumshie provided his photograph so that answered the question.

Unless he has a jealous evil twin brother who nicked his boat for the day and went on a ramming rampage.

28 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

His lame excuse that he couldn't stop in time is laughable. 

He wouldn't have even been there in the first place if he hadn't cut across the bows of the first cruiser,ignoring the colregs, as pointed out by blackrose.

Edited by rusty69

His claim that its "a 20 tonne narrowboat moving at 2mph, we can't stop like you" was simply too quick, slick and practiced.

He behaves like this on a regular basis I reckon, hence the ease with which his justification for ramming the hire boat tumbled from his mouth.

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

A screen shot from Canal Boat Magazine showing his picture. [removed screen shot for space]

And another that I found online but its not very good

A9A8B182-E85D-45ED-8238-9FD611AE6010_4_5005_c.jpeg

This is Steve Haywood's page on his editor/agent's website and the picture on there definitely looks like the chap in the OP video. 

https://www.jenniferbarclaybooks.com/steve-haywood/

576DE6C8-D329-4EAE-847E-069807D6268C_4_5005_c.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

This is Steve Haywood's page on his editor/agent's website and the picture on there definitely looks like the chap in the OP video. 

https://www.jenniferbarclaybooks.com/steve-haywood/

576DE6C8-D329-4EAE-847E-069807D6268C_4_5005_c.jpeg

I liked the 'miscarriage of justice' , 'rough justice' and 'taking liberties' bit.Explains the boat name at least,if it is him.

Previously a producer on BBC’s Newsnight and Panorama, he was editor of both the award-winning BBC 1 miscarriage of justice programme Rough Justice, and BBC2’s legal programme Taking Liberties.

Edited by rusty69

52 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Aside from the fact that many people know that his boat is named “Justice”, I have often wondered on the wisdom of having ones names pained on the side too, and personally have never felt the urge .  Certainly if you do you need to be very mindful of publicity, and even more so when you are an author and journalist!

This does look like a clear case of Mr Haywood being in a hole and digging. On the subject of putting your name on the boat, two thoughts occur to me: firstly, I avoided doing it so that any future purchaser has one less cost to consider, and secondly, personalising the boat is imho, like having personalised plates on your car, both a waste of money and identifying yourself for when you inevitably make a pratt of yourself.  

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1