perkins L4 engine

bmw

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Rickent said:

Are you sure. A list of Perkins letter designations on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Perkins_engines suggests the L series had a capacity of around 3 to four litres so in my view would be vastly overpowered for a narrow boat.  Probably OK for a wide beam doing a lot of river work.

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you sure. A list of Perkins letter designations on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Perkins_engines suggests the L series had a capacity of around 3 to four litres so in my view would be vastly overpowered for a narrow boat.  Probably OK for a wide beam doing a lot of river work.

Positive , perkins 4107. 

2 hours ago, Rickent said:

Positive , perkins 4107. 

The wikipedia entry  referred to by Tony shows the 4.107 as being EB . The L seems to relate to essentially the 4.236 engine . I've no idea how accurate wikipedia is on this .

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree,

It would appear to be around 3.9 litres, or possibly even over 4.4 litres so sounds far too big for any narrow boat.

10 hours ago, bmw said:

My Perkins has flexible lines off injectors that leak Are solid lines more reliable so I dont have to bleed all the time 

Those flexible lines should have nothing to do with having to bleed all the time, they are the return to the tank so any air that gets in eventually exits the tank breather and can not cause problems so there seem to be two separate problems - the leaks and the bleeding.

As long as everything the flexible pipes attach to can not wave about with vibration the the solid pipes would probably be more reliable and also definitely BSS compliant without extra valves. If anything an wave about like the fuel filters on poor marinisations of the BMC 1.x engines then the solid pipes would be less reliable.

6 hours ago, bmw said:

Boat is 36 ‘ 10’ beam goes all around australia gaff rigged engine powers her along great

You might be better off asking the question on a forum where owners of boats oif that kind of size are more commonplace.

Although we have a few owners of larger boats on here, few own boats of more than about 12 feet beam, and the vast majority of us are limited to 7 foot, or thereabouts.

I'm at least relieved this monster engine isn't installed in a UK narrow boat.

But why are you asking the question?  It might help, (wherever you ask it!), to give detail if you want to know anything specific.

On 13/10/2019 at 08:45, bmw said:

My Perkins has flexible lines off injectors that leak Are solid lines more reliable so I dont have to bleed all the time 

If it helps, I have solid lines off my injectors, my engine is a P3.152. Never any issues

As an aside I'm glad I don't have your issue because bleeding it is near impossible to be honest, pretty much have to get it running on easistart for it to bleed.

2 hours ago, sirweste said:

If it helps, I have solid lines off my injectors, my engine is a P3.152. Never any issues

As an aside I'm glad I don't have your issue because bleeding it is near impossible to be honest, pretty much have to get it running on easistart for it to bleed.

I know you did not ask but the image I found shows a CAV mechanical DPA injector pump and those are normally fairly easy to bleed as long as you use both bleed screws on the pump after bleeding the filter.Then loosen the injector pipes at the injectors and spin on the starter until the unions spit or dribble fuel. If you are doing all that in the correct order then I suspect an air leak or lift pump problem. If you have a water trap of some sort between the tank and lift pump then it can take a lot of priming to get rid of all the air.

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I know you did not ask but the image I found shows a CAV mechanical DPA injector pump and those are normally fairly easy to bleed as long as you use both bleed screws on the pump after bleeding the filter.Then loosen the injector pipes at the injectors and spin on the starter until the unions spit or dribble fuel. If you are doing all that in the correct order then I suspect an air leak or lift pump problem. If you have a water trap of some sort between the tank and lift pump then it can take a lot of priming to get rid of all the air.

Following all the correct procedures, with fuel at the injectors, it still won't start without easistart to get the rpms up. Cheers for the info anyhow

Just now, sirweste said:

Following all the correct procedures, with fuel at the injectors, it still won't start without easistart to get the rpms up. Cheers for the info anyhow

Not sure about the P3.152 but small Perkins seemed to often have flame plugs in the inlet manifold that need a  fuel supply for easy cold starting. Does yours and if so is the glow tip part working and do you have a fuel supply to it during cold start?