Red or Black?

Chappo

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If Wagos were to be used then I believe they’re intended for use with solid cable are they not? In which case stranded would require a ferrule. 

Wago connectors are allowed under the RCD

(ISO 10133 Small craft — Electrical systems — Extra-low-voltage D.C. installations)

10.4 Screw-clamp or screwless terminal blocks shall conform to IEC 60947-7-1. Other terminals shall be of the
ring or self-locking captive-spade type, not dependent on screw or nut tightness alone for retention on the stud or
screw.

An exception is that friction-type connectors may be used in circuits not exceeding 20 A if the connection does not
separate when subjected to a force of 20 N.

I’m unsure of the meaning of that Reg. 

Firstly: “Screw-clamp or screwless terminal blocks shall conform to IEC 60947-7-1

Standard Wago connectors with the little flip-up levers like the 221 don’t conform to that spec as far as I’m aware. They make connectors that do but I don’t believe they’re the type we’re discussing. 

Secondly: “Other terminals shall be of the
ring or self-locking captive-spade type, not dependent on screw or nut tightness alone for retention on the stud or
screw.
” 

What do they mean by ‘others terminals’? Do they mean connectors which don’t conform to 60947-7-1?  If so, what’s the purpose of the first paragraph?

I’m confused. Doesn’t take much. 

Edited by WotEver
Added a bit for clarity then fixed a typo!

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Standard Wago connectors with the little flip-up levers like the 221 don’t conform to that spec as far as I’m aware. They make connectors that do but I don’t believe they’re the type we’re discussing. 

The Wago connectors I have used are 'push-in' types where the 'spring' lifts as you push the wire in and then traps it so it cannot be pulled out.

On 13/10/2019 at 09:06, cuthound said:

If you ever bother to trace all of the cables, you can add cable identification collets, so that each end of every cable has a unique identification code.

https://www.millsltd.com/consumables/cable-markers/collet-pairs.html?limit=all

Or these 

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/275/self-adhesive-cable-markers

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Wago connectors I have used are 'push-in' types where the 'spring' lifts as you push the wire in and then traps it so it cannot be pulled out.

But do they conform to 60947-7-1?  I don’t believe they do. 

1 minute ago, Just Heaven said:

They fall off after a while. You need to cover them with clear heat-shrink. 

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't know - The company I worked for was in the same 'group' as Wago so I picked up 'a few' of their bits and pieces before I retired (15 years ago - seems like just yesterday)

If you do a Google for “Wago 60947-7-1” you’ll see a bunch of Wago connectors that specifically state that they conform. None of the 221 type state that, so I don’t believe they do. 

This still doesn’t address the meaning of that RCD reg where they refer to ‘other types’. I find that reg ambiguous. 

On 13/10/2019 at 09:06, cuthound said:

If you ever bother to trace all of the cables, you can add cable identification collets, so that each end of every cable has a unique identification code.

https://www.millsltd.com/consumables/cable-markers/collet-pairs.html?limit=all

I'm not quite clear what these do/are, Does one put one  a pair at each end? and write up in a notebook what's what? Seems rather complex for ... a boat ........ would labels not serve the porpoise?

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm not quite clear what these do/are, Does one put one  a pair at each end? and write up in a notebook what's what? Seems rather complex for ... a boat ........ would labels not serve the porpoise?

Labels can fall off.Labels can become difficult to read.Labels are not as neat.

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You put matching collets on each end of a cable and mark the circuit diagram (which if you haven't got one can be produced as You grace and identify the cables) with each cables unique code.

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Labels can fall off.Labels can become difficult to read.Labels are not as neat.

Times have changed, one can get heat shrink adhesive labels which wrap around a cable .............. Dymo / Brady

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Times have changed, one can get heat shrink adhesive labels which wrap around a cable .............. Dymo / Brady

Yes, they look good. I actually labelled up some cables the other day using a brother p-touch label printer, and low tech sellotape, but your solution looks better.