Walsall Canal Dunking

cuthound

Featured Posts

Am intrigued by the concept of “a lady in a pram”.  Got to love a typo.

In other news, we had a pedestrian fall in the drink at Diglis Basin yesterday, couldn’t even blame “none” grass, just wasn’t looking where they were going.  Anyhow, prompted a load of activity from BWML, so no doubt will put our mooring costs up as a consequence.

10 minutes ago, Dharl said:

Am glad that they are alive and well.    But ‘ no warning signs ‘ surly they must have passed a sign somewhere to notify them that they were on a canal tow path??

Not necessarily if they walked into the basin from the town

Capture.JPG

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not necessarily if they walked into the basin from the town

Fair point, i am not familiar with that particular part of the system.    However if near the town centre thought more likely to have signs advising that you are approaching a canal basin.....?

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why would they have been coming out of Nando’s when there’s a perfectly good Frankie &Benny’s close by?  Also, got to love the Mirror with their “nearly died”.  Could have died, maybe, but nearly suggests life support and intensive care, which I am fairly sure wasn’t the case here...

We have had a couple of very pleasant visits to that basin. Had a bit of trouble one night when a group of drunk local lads swam naked across the basin to impress their girlfriends, and one was unable to climb out causing much entertainment. Apparently the water is "f*****g cold".

................Dave

We had a quiet night it the basin with no weed back in May. There was massive amounts of weed coming down the Walsall locks though, so much that we couldn't get a bottom gate open and had to use the keb to clear loads of it out.

IMG_20190525_070209791_HDR.jpg.b14b2d503f2a69ffb859a60e460fb86b.jpg

46 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We had a quiet night it the basin with no weed back in May. There was massive amounts of weed coming down the Walsall locks though, so much that we couldn't get a bottom gate open and had to use the keb to clear loads of it out.

IMG_20190525_070209791_HDR.jpg.b14b2d503f2a69ffb859a60e460fb86b.jpg

If the basin had been like that last Friday, Mr Worthington and his son would be complaining that he didn't realise it was water because it was covered in clouds! ?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If the basin had been like that last Friday, Mr Worthington and his son would be complaining that he didn't realise it was water because it was covered in clouds! ?

No he would be fishing out the moon with a rake

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

Why would they have been coming out of Nando’s when there’s a perfectly good Frankie &Benny’s close by?  Also, got to love the Mirror with their “nearly died”.  Could have died, maybe, but nearly suggests life support and intensive care, which I am fairly sure wasn’t the case here...

Never been to a Nandos but that Frankie and Benny's is the worst we've ever visited.

Not sure where they fell in. The basin alongside the Inn on The Wharf has railings to prevent drinkers falling in, there is no reason to walk along the Premier Inn side as it leads nowhere, unless you want to drink at their mediocre bar, which leaves the bit by the Art Gallery where there is an escape ladder.

On our many visits there has always been a boom across the entrance to stop weed and other rubbish entering the basin, the prevailing wind usually being in that direction.

Edited by pearley

21 hours ago, cuthound said:

It would never have happened in the old days.....

It would have been filled in and turned into a car park.

31 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

where I walk the dogs there is a large pond that is always covered in duckweed. 

newbie dogs regularly race down the bank and into the pond, mistaking it for grass. 

always interesting watching their body language as they realise their mistake   :)

I'm surprised you can see their body language when they are submerged! ?

59 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

where I walk the dogs there is a large pond that is always covered in duckweed. 

newbie dogs regularly race down the bank and into the pond, mistaking it for grass. 

always interesting watching their body language as they realise their mistake   :)

One of my dogs did that on the local marches where a dyke looked like level grass

5 hours ago, pearley said:

Never been to a Nandos but that Frankie and Benny's is the worst we've ever visited.

Not sure where they fell in. The basin alongside the Inn on The Wharf has railings to prevent drinkers falling in, there is no reason to walk along the Premier Inn side as it leads nowhere, unless you want to drink at their mediocre bar, which leaves the bit by the Art Gallery where there is an escape ladder.

On our many visits there has always been a boom across the entrance to stop weed and other rubbish entering the basin, the prevailing wind usually being in that direction.

When we have been there the boom was sprung so that it closed itself after the boat had passed through. It seemed to do what it was supposed to do.

4 minutes ago, trackman said:

Yes, a few years ago now, BMW I heard. Don't laugh.

That one has always puzzled me, do you think he normally drives down a foot or so drop to get to a parking place.  I can just about (if I stretch my imagination) see a pedestrian stepping down on to what they think is grass but driving a car down a drop!  Did he have his eyes shut?