The Tragic Loss Of Entering A Flooding Vessel.

rusty69

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

She's a poor photographer.She missed out the tip of the tipcat.

At that price, I think I would have to take them off the boat if I ever went down the pub, along with my solar panels.

Have you bought a fender recently, just bought a tipcat not as good as those for £120 I have 2 and a button.

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have just pulled a craw long one apart, it went Z shape holding gates shut. Unpicked the end and it was packed with carpet underlay rolled up in a black polly wrapper.

Should have read

I have just pulled a CRAP long one apart, it went Z shape holding gates shut. Unpicked the end and it was packed with carpet underlay rolled up in a black polly wrapper.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you bought a fender recently, just bought a tipcat not as good as those for £120 I have 2 and a button.

Nope.

Having just watched the excellent youtube video above,and the time involved in making a 'simple' side fender,I am sure they are good value for money. However, it is still a lot of money.I understand that traditional boats require a traditional look,and that is what 2/3 tipcat fenders provide, along with functionality.

I can also see why some people opt for a cheaper option, however,sometimes that comes at a price too,as this threads sad incident confirms.

42 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I understand that traditional boats require a traditional look,and that is what 2/3 tipcat fenders provide, along with functionality.

I can also see why some people opt for a cheaper option, however,sometimes that comes at a price too,as this threads sad incident confirms.

Stern fenders on traditional (working / ex-working) narrow boats are only about functionality and nothing to do with looks, and most pleasure boat owners could learn a lot from how things are done on traditional boats as everything is done for a reason.

My preference for three tipcats is due to my boating with a butty and not liking it running down the side of the counter when on cross straps (if they are a bit stretched). The third tipcat only makes a small difference, and back in the days of full time carrying the most common fitment was two tipcats and a button :captain:

19 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Stern fenders on traditional (working / ex-working) narrow boats are only about functionality and nothing to do with looks, and most pleasure boat owners could learn a lot from how things are done on traditional boats as everything is done for a reason.

My preference for three tipcats is due to my boating with a butty and not liking it running down the side of the counter when on cross straps (if they are a bit stretched). The third tipcat only makes a small difference, and back in the days of full time carrying the most common fitment was two tipcats and a button :captain:

Quite, it wasnt put there to stop your rudder doing between the gates, it was for the butty to come up against

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

And does it work well with your butty?

No, I haven't got one, but I don't carry any cargo ether. I am just a pretend boater and I don't even do that as well as I would like

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

I used to like having 2 tip cats when single motor. Those in the photo where made by Arthur Bray with rope I used to get from British ropes depot in Birmingham. They had a contract with Land Rover to supply a tow rope with every exported LR and made them up in Brum. I used to have all the off cuts from there which made up the inside of the fender and new rope for the outside. Mr Bray must have made dozens of fenders which we sold all over until his hands got to stiff then Jack Owen made them but Arthur’s were the best.

A89D30D3-F84C-4A80-9F2A-348D337C525C.jpeg

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No, I haven't got one, but I don't carry any cargo ether. I am just a pretend boater and I don't even do that as well as I would like

I am glad to hear that.Carrying ether in a butty or otherwise would be a bad move.