The Tragic Loss Of Entering A Flooding Vessel.

rusty69

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ok. Next question.Starter for 10. Why does the rudder protrude from the boat profile at all? why not contain it beneath the boat?

You would have to stand behind the tiller to steer as the tiller would come out between the rear doors

19 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yup, I'll put my hand up to that one. The problem I have is that should the stern fender bump anything it drops so that I can't steer anyway until I've lifted it up again so a longer rear fender would solve nothing at all, the secret it not to hit anything with your stern fender if possible :rolleyes:. I tend to regard it as the last straw if everything else has failed, but otherwise try not to hit anything with it (including lock gates). Yes it would probably be ideal to have a stern fender that is longer than my rudder, it's not going to happen though.

The other week I was holding the bottom gates closed with my stern fender.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Sounds like a plan. I know how to do eye splices and backsplices, so am already au fait with the possibility of the frustrating learning curve.

Blimey, you're overskilled for the task, all it involves is the ability to tie lots of Wall knots (with a few crown knots); eye splices and backsplices are the 'A' level course:huh: 

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The other week I was holding the bottom gates closed with my stern fender.

It'd be easier for me to get off the boat and hold the balance beam, if I hit anything with my stern fender I then spend 5-10 minutes trying to lift it to stop it hitting my rudder so that I can steer the thing.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not hard. The one I made isn't particularly neat, but it is still working fine several years later. Used a go-kart tyre, stuffed with rope as a base and 50m of 8mm polypropylene rope to make it. Something to do on those wet winter days.

Giz a peak of your homemade

fender- jen. 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

fender- jen. 

Here's a YouTube on it

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have just pulled a craw long one apart, it went Z shape holding gates shut. Unpicked the end and it was packed with carpet underlay rolled up in a black polly wrapper.

That's how they make them.

• Happy 1

22 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

fender- jen. 

Let me see if I can find a pic...

Here you go:

button.jpg.fccaa60755b9437521cf05037fad5cc7.jpg

It's the one on the end. Got a bit of droop in this pic. The turnbuckles need tightening up! I put a length of chain through the middle before starting construction to give something to tie on to. If you want a ready made core to build one on, then try these. As previously mentioned, this one is built on a kart tyre stuffed with old rope. Not at all neat. You need to keep constant tension on each knot and dress them down as you build it up, which is where I went wrong. Not had a need to make another since, though the front fender is starting to look tatty and will likely be the next one to have a go at.

Jen

• Happy 2

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The 'correct' configuration surely, is two tipcats and a button.

Works brilliant!

Yes, my set up of a long and short button isn't at all traditional. Then again, I'm not towing a butty with it. My excuse is that my boat is a semi-trad, so I can get away with it! ?

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, my set up of a long and short button isn't at all traditional. Then again, I'm not towing a butty with it. My excuse is that my boat is a semi-trad, so I can get away with it! ?

Never mind 'getting away with it', two tipcats look so much nicer than a long button with another button on the end!!

So as an alternative to the traditional fenders of old what are the drawbacks of the more modern welded steel protrusion adorned with rubber bumper? 

(except for the obvious fact they are pig ugly). 

I spose they are equally likely to catch in the Gates. 

Edited by rusty69

The bit that puzzles me about fenders is why do fender makers go to the trouble of making up car tyre/carpet/whatever cores instead of knotting up rope cores? It seems such a bodge.

I'd happily pay more for rope cores, but no-one seems to do them.

The message won't get through to 50%,

Still load and loads of boats with rear fenders not adequate. Not only is the rudder jam hazard possible so is the sideswipe for the rudder arm knocking you overboard.

Any cruise down any canal you will see pathetic rear fenders.

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Here's mine, courtesy of Sarah at Glascote.

20190131_111600.jpg

Tis a thing of beauty. I bet it cost an arm and a leg though. If I come across any zombies I think I will pick up an arm and a couple of legs to use as fenders.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Tis a thing of beauty. I bet it cost an arm and a leg though. If I come across any zombies I think I will pick up an arm and a couple of legs to use as fenders.

About £350 fitted including a matching front button fender a couple of years ago  IIRC

I remember that Glascote's price including fitting was cheaper than the lower quality equivalent from Midland Chandlers.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/cruising/fenders

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curious how she had them made in black and white, while your boat is in colour!

Yes, she sweetened the deal by coating them in icing sugar ?

Edited by cuthound
To add spaces between merged posts
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Here's mine, courtesy of Sarah at Glascote.

20190131_111600.jpg

She's a poor photographer.She missed out the tip of the tipcat.

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

About £350 fitted including a matching front button fender a couple of years ago  IIRC

I remember that Glascote's price including fitting was cheaper than the lower quality equivalent from Midland Chandlers.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/cruising/fenders

Yes, she sweetened the deal by coating them in icing sugar ?

At that price, I think I would have to take them off the boat if I ever went down the pub, along with my solar panels.

25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

At that price, I think I would have to take them off the boat if I ever went down the pub, along with my solar panels.

Do you have no one to go to the pub with other than your solar panels? That's so sad - I'll buy you a beer Rusty!

• Haha 1