BMC 1.5 - overheated, clanking, stopped

jhodgski

Featured Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I'll make sure I mention to the engineer about the skimming/shimming.

One thing I forgot to mention is that whilst my engine was overheating, the water in my calorifier was still barely warm. I already knew the engine had a tendency to overheat at low revs, but the lukewarm water coming from the kitchen sink hot tap led me to (wrongly) believe the engine was at quite a low temperature.

So does that (also) indicate a water pump issue? And is it a big job to replace the water pump whilst the head gasket is being repaired?

The oil pressure was nice and high (always is), so does that suggest it's just the water pump and head gasket that need looking at / fixing?

Water pump job is normally easy if there is sufficient access at the front of the engine unless you happen to have one of the very odd pumps that nowadays need rebuilding. However the state of the pump needs assessing first.

Lack of coolant stops circulation so that would prevent the calorifier getting hot. If you don't have a temperature gauge think about fitting one.

Good oil pressure does suggest the engine shaking about as it started to seize up.

I still think the cooling system pipework looks very odd so perhaps get the engineer to asses that as well. This may well be wrong because I cant get a good view but it looks as if the main cooling circuit might have lengths of undersized hose in the area of the oil cooler and the main circuit is mixed up with the calorifier circuit. Normally these two circuits are totally seperate  apart from where the calorifier circuit exits and the rejoins the engine coolant.

• 1 month later...

The boat engineer came out today to do the head gasket, but turns out the engine has had a bit of a rough time.

Can remember exactly what he said but the cost to put it right (inc. slippage fees) was around £1,500.

Have been keeping my eye on eBay for the past few weeks but no BMC 1500's have come up.

Does anyone know of a half decent one going cheap anywhere?

17 minutes ago, jhodgski said:

The boat engineer came out today to do the head gasket, but turns out the engine has had a bit of a rough time.

Can remember exactly what he said but the cost to put it right (inc. slippage fees) was around £1,500.

Have been keeping my eye on eBay for the past few weeks but no BMC 1500's have come up.

Does anyone know of a half decent one going cheap anywhere?

I'm sure you are aware but - you have no idea about the 'internals' on a second hand engine, I would always think 'why was it taken out' ?

You may be better biting the bullet and getting :

1) Yours rebuilt, or

2) A professionally rebuilt part exchange

http://www.calcuttboats.com/engines.html

2 hours ago, jhodgski said:

Slippage fees? This doesn't ring true. I'm no expert but I can't think of a reason the boat should need slipping even if the engine needs removing for repair.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Slippage fees? This doesn't ring true. I'm no expert but I can't think of a reason the boat should need slipping even if the engine needs removing for repair.

My thought also but benefit of the doubt just maybe he meant lifting fees for a yard to lift & replace the engine.