Kingswood Basin

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

I moor nearby but not in the basin, it is a secure, tidy site for craft up to 69'. One issue i know people have is the lack of water on site, there is a water point just outside however. Parking is remote from the site, a small allocation in the Crt yard and a less secure area in a wooded area off of Brome hall lane. Lovely area to base a boat though. 

Last time I looked it was very expensive, more than a marina.  I would have thought that parking would be an issue at times, I believe it’s just the area where the bins are in the CRT yard, and it’s always been quite full when I’ve used the bins. 

8 hours ago, john6767 said:

Last time I looked it was very expensive, more than a marina.  I would have thought that parking would be an issue at times, I believe it’s just the area where the bins are in the CRT yard, and it’s always been quite full when I’ve used the bins. 

Plenty of parking in the public car park next to the Crt yard, in the wooded area. However, even though it isn't a crime hotspot i wouldn't like to park long term in there.

10 hours ago, BWM said:

Plenty of parking in the public car park next to the Crt yard, in the wooded area. However, even though it isn't a crime hotspot i wouldn't like to park long term in there.

I would not want to leave a car in the public car park overnight.

13 hours ago, archie57 said:

Great if you like trains!

On the plus side there is a station within walking distance, but not that many trains stop there.

I moored there for a couple of years about 2009. I wouldn't leave my car in the woods. I was there last week, there is a small car park off the main park I the woods. The rubbish in there suggests it is a popular night time haunt for youths I cars drinking etc. Not saying they cause trouble but.....

You get used to the trains.

Picnic are could generate a lot of noise.

Handy for the station, good shop.  There are liveaboards there for security.

We moor there, it's good.

It's expensive but it ticks the boxes for us.

Easy to get to by public transport as there is a railway station nearby. There is a post office, off licence, a village shop and two pubs. Of these one is a bit 'footballers wives' ie spot the orange women, but the food there is said to be very good. The other is more down to Earth with better better beer and a dog friendly bar.

There is noise from passing trains but that doesn't worry us. More annoying is the noise from the M40 when the wind is blowing from that direction.

There are electricity bollards on the pontoons but you have to move the boat if you want water.

There isn't much space in the CaRT car park. We're quite happy to leave the car there but having said that some arse 'ole decided to smash our rear window a while back. A random act I feel. All they took was a bag with my clothes in it. There was more valuable stuff underneath that they didn't touch.

If you do take the mooring come and say hello.

On 11/10/2019 at 13:33, john6767 said:

I looked into it and that was my thought as well, I would rather go to a marina where there was more security for both the boat and the car

10 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Easy to get to by public transport as there is a railway station nearby. There is a post office, off licence, a village shop and two pubs. Of these one is a bit 'footballers wives' ie spot the orange women, but the food there is said to be very good. The other is more down to Earth with better better beer and a dog friendly bar.

There is noise from passing trains but that doesn't worry us. More annoying is the noise from the M40 when the wind is blowing from that direction.

There are electricity bollards on the pontoons but you have to move the boat if you want water.

There isn't much space in the CaRT car park. We're quite happy to leave the car there but having said that some arse 'ole decided to smash our rear window a while back. A random act I feel. All they took was a bag with my clothes in it. There was more valuable stuff underneath that they didn't touch.

Both pubs are dog friendly, with the boot having a tub of bonio on the bar to help yourself from. The 'orange women' spend time in both from what i've seen.

2 hours ago, BWM said:

Thanks for the comments - I was looking for somewhere with some security and fairly central on the system but I am not really a 'Marina' person is the sense I like to go long distance boating not using a boat as a weekend retreat and prefer somewhere more informal than a marina.

You might consider Fazeley Mill marina where we are. Yes it is a marina, but not a posh one - everyone including Jackie and Ruth the managers, is pretty down to earth and friendly, and there’s a good sense of community. Good location on the Coventry and for Birmingham. Location is just on the edge of Fazeley which is on the edge of Tamworth with good shops and plenty of pubs in the vicinity. Tesco express and various takeaways within a 5 minute walk of the gate. Car park is gated with an electric gate - open either by entering a code, or phoning it.

10 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Thanks for the comments - I was looking for somewhere with some security and fairly central on the system but I am not really a 'Marina' person is the sense I like to go long distance boating not using a boat as a weekend retreat and prefer somewhere more informal than a marina.

It sounds like Kingswood Basin might suit you.

There is only room for 30 boats, I call it a basin rather than a marina.

As for security, access to the pontoons is through a gate secured by a digital lock. (Which is fine apart from when I've forgotten the code!)

The gate to the car park should be secured by a chain and a BW key padlock but it keeps getting broken. Despite the rear window incident we have no worries about leaving our car there, its a high mileage Peugot 406. I can't help thinking whoever broke in might have got better pickings from some of the other cars, a Jag and a Range Rover for instance, that were parked there.

We tend to be long distance boaters too. Despite the fact that it is an expensive mooring compared with other places and we tend to be away for about four months of the year we don't intend to move.

Is 'White Heather' that interesting looking 'Borough of St Marylebone' boat?

13 hours ago, BWM said:

Both pubs are dog friendly, with the boot having a tub of bonio on the bar to help yourself from. The 'orange women' spend time in both from what i've seen.

As a young boy being bought up in Birmingham a popular evening out was a trip to The Boot with my mother and her partner, probably because they thought I would like to see Lapworth locks.

As a young drunken boatman I was very proud to be barred from The Boot, as to why and how I will leave for another occasion but it later ended up with me in the canal.

As a respectable married man with a young family with an eyewatering southern mortgage we named our family home 'Lapworth' to remind us of our time working the boats and frequent passing through the locks there.

As a middle aged boring ba$7ard I dream of getting back on a boat and being barred from The Boot - and as my boat nears the end of its restoration perhaps I might get the chance to relive my youth and get barred all over again, but I don't drink anymore !!!!!! :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/10/2019 at 20:35, pete harrison said:

As a young boy being bought up in Birmingham a popular evening out was a trip to The Boot with my mother and her partner, probably because they thought I would like to see Lapworth locks.

As a young drunken boatman I was very proud to be barred from The Boot, as to why and how I will leave for another occasion but it later ended up with me in the canal.

As a respectable married man with a young family with an eyewatering southern mortgage we named our family home 'Lapworth' to remind us of our time working the boats and frequent passing through the locks there.

As a middle aged boring ba$7ard I dream of getting back on a boat and being barred from The Boot - and as my boat nears the end of its restoration perhaps I might get the chance to relive my youth and get barred all over again, but I don't drink anymore !!!!!! :captain:

Please let me know if you're heading down there, i'd love to see that! 

I've heard from many people that Lapworth used to be a very popular spot for those in Birmingham to relax.