Moored boats

haggis

Featured Posts

No, this is not a complaint about moored boats but a question which came into my mind today as I passed over 130 ( might be more, might be less, it was a bit like counting sheep and I may have dozed off ), on our way back from Chester. I presume that these are not CRT moorings but are privately owned. Is there any restriction on the length of moorings or can the owner of the land extend them as they wish? Hopefully CRT get paid handsomely for allowing such moorings ? If the same number of boats were in a marina CRT would be paid so much per mooring - or that is my understanding.

If CRT get lots of pennies from the provider of these moorings then I will continue to crawl past knowing that my licence fee might be higher if CRT didn't get such money ?

Haggis

14 minutes ago, haggis said:

No, this is not a complaint about moored boats but a question which came into my mind today as I passed over 130 ( might be more, might be less, it was a bit like counting sheep and I may have dozed off ), on our way back from Chester. I presume that these are not CRT moorings but are privately owned. Is there any restriction on the length of moorings or can the owner of the land extend them as they wish? Hopefully CRT get paid handsomely for allowing such moorings ? If the same number of boats were in a marina CRT would be paid so much per mooring - or that is my understanding.

If CRT get lots of pennies from the provider of these moorings then I will continue to crawl past knowing that my licence fee might be higher if CRT didn't get such money ?

Haggis

The infamous golden nook moorings by any chance?

last time we counted there were 162.

Its no pain to go past slowly and talk to the moorers.

If the arrangement with CRT is the same as our mooring the land owner pays a figure for the moored length and the number of boats moored. This is in lieu of the boaters paying a mooring permit fee.

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

last time we counted there were 162.

Its no pain to go past slowly and talk to the moorers.

If the arrangement with CRT is the same as our mooring the land owner pays a figure for the moored length and the number of boats moored. This is in lieu of the boaters paying a mooring permit fee.

On my farm mooring we pay mooring permits rather than the landowner. 

Golden Nook is one reason I was glad to leave my previous mooring on the Shroppie. I admit that my speed increases as I go past them, muttering about springs as I go. In my opinion, noone who moors in such a place has any right to complain if boats go past at a sensible two and a bit mile an hour. Tickover would be ridiculous, would take a day to get past them. 

Horrible mooring. Have heard CRT wouldn't allow it now, though the bottom of the Shroppie is nearly as bad. Shame, cos it's a lovely canal apart from the boats. 

• Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

a sensible two and a bit mile an hour. Tickover would be ridiculous, would take a day to get past them. 

Horrible mooring. Have heard CRT wouldn't allow it now, though the bottom of the Shroppie is nearly as bad. Shame, cos it's a lovely canal apart from the boats. 

No Arthur, at tick over it takes less than half an hour and you may make new friends.

Its a lovely canal with the boats, what's the matter with you as a boat owner on a farm mooring? Do you think you are different from these other moorers? The canal was for boats as we are continually in need of being reminded.

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings & Added

5 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Are these the moorings some drunken woman careered through a few years back colliding with moored boats?

... And they still didn't give up and move on? 

On my boat which is fitted with a Beta 43 engine, PRM150 gearbox and 17" x 11" prop (currently being changed for an 18" x 12" prop), tickover equates to 1.6mph and 2mph is 1,000 rpm according to the Ullysse slow speedometer app on my phone.

It will be interesting to see how the new prop affects my tickover speed.

However I look at mooring lines and ground conditions before passing moored boats and unless the lines are unusually loose or the boat is moored on pins into soft ground (when I pass at tickover), go past at 1000 rpm or 2mph on canals.

I just wish some other boaters would extend the same courtesy when passing my moored boat. 

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

No Arthur, at tick over it takes less than half an hour and you may make new friends.

Its a lovely canal with the boats, what's the matter with you as a boat owner on a farm mooring? Do you think you are different from these other moorers? The canal was for boats as we are continually in need of being reminded.

Less than half an hour for over a mile of moorings? You're actually going faster on tickover than I go past them on slow drive! You must get sworn at a lot... Can't make many friends at that speed. Only other explanation I can think of is that you actually moor there, somewhere in the middle, so you only ever have to go past half the line! 

And no, I've always moored at farms (which is what Golden Nook is, by the way), so how could I be different? GN is an aberration, there historically but both BW & CRT have intimated such a huge online mooring would not be allowed now. 

I like seeing the boats as I potter past, but one endless line of parked boats after another is, I'm afraid, a pain in the posterior. I like cruising and so does my engine. The odd line of ten or fifteen is a pleasure. I don't mind the ones at the bottom of the Shroppie, by the way,but it's always a relief to get past them. The ones that are a bit annoying are the online marina moorings, when not only do they rake their money in from the offline ones, but then they also clog the system up with a mile of online, I presume at a slightly lower price. 

12 hours ago, Detling said:

Your tick over then is just over 2 mph cos the moorings are 1.25 miles long

Two and a half mph. Faster than I'd go. 

According to the Cambridge Dictionary,  "If the engine of a vehicle is ticking over, the engine is operating slowly although the vehicle is not moving"  So it really doesn't make sense to use the term in relation to passing moored boats, since at tick over, you wouldn't get past.??

My Russell Newbery DM3 will idle at 200rpm so I use observation instead to check if I am going at a considerate speed.  On a long pound where water levels are pretty much constant, boats should be tied up securely and not allowed to swing about.  An old working boat with a Bolinder could go past moored boats at 3mph+ without any disturbance due to the design of the boat's hull and swim.  

Far better to observe the etiquette to "Slow Down" and adjust your speed according to the prevailing conditions. This would also include wind speed & direction and depth of water below the hull.?

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Less than half an hour for over a mile of moorings? You're actually going faster on tickover than I go past them on slow drive! You must get sworn at a lot... Can't make many friends at that speed. Only other explanation I can think of is that you actually moor there, somewhere in the middle, so you only ever have to go past half the line! 

And no, I've always moored at farms (which is what Golden Nook is, by the way), so how could I be different? GN is an aberration, there historically but both BW & CRT have intimated such a huge online mooring would not be allowed now. 

I like seeing the boats as I potter past, but one endless line of parked boats after another is, I'm afraid, a pain in the posterior. I like cruising and so does my engine. The odd line of ten or fifteen is a pleasure. I don't mind the ones at the bottom of the Shroppie, by the way,but it's always a relief to get past them. The ones that are a bit annoying are the online marina moorings, when not only do they rake their money in from the offline ones, but then they also clog the system up with a mile of online, I presume at a slightly lower price. 

Two and a half mph. Faster than I'd go. 

Its not all about speed through the water as you know.

My hull swims like a fish, causes minimal disturbance to well tied moored boats. I always pass as far away as possible.

Its noticable on our mooring that some boats cause more movement than others at roughly the same speed. Old working boats cause little disturbance whereas some modern skip shaped boats yank at the moorings, especially the square stern hulls.

Perhaps I was optimistic at half an hour, it may be a bit more, but what does it matter?  Its been a while since we went there what with the breach and all.

We cruise for pleasure not to break distance records.

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, haggis said:

Haggis

Please come onto the south Oxford. There are only two boats at our privately owned mooring spot yet 80 percent of boats still pass at warp factor three,  then immediately slow down for the narrows when just passed if going down hill. :banghead:

24 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Its not all about speed through the water as you know.

My hull swims like a fish, causes minimal disturbance to well tied moored boats. I always pass as far away as possible.

Its noticable on our mooring that some boats cause more movement than others at roughly the same speed. Old working boats cause little disturbance whereas some modern skip shaped boats yank at the moorings, especially the square stern hulls.

Perhaps I was optimistic at half an hour, it may be a bit more, but what does it matter?  Its been a while since we went there what with the breach and all.

We cruise for pleasure not to break distance records.

Precisely, so why start an argument when I implied I went past moored boats at the same speed you apparently do? I've been past Golden Nook often enough to know how long it takes - I used to more near Ellesmere Port. And why, also, assume that no one else has a fishlike hull? I realise that you believe your boat is more perfect than anyone else's , but this may in fact not be the case. 

And even at a sensible speed, above tickover but not enough to make well moored boats bash into each other (and, for that matter, badly tied up ones too, because I care about them as well, which you rather appear not to), it still takes about an hour to get past Golden Nook. Which, however much you love boating, is very, very boring , especially when you realise you're going to do it all over again on the way back... 

PS the thing about not well tied up boats is that some owners only get to their boats every few months, so they get a bit loose. You have to be a bit tolerant about these things, however out of character it may seem. 

• Greenie 2

41 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

PS the thing about not well tied up boats is that some owners only get to their boats every few months, so they get a bit loose. You have to be a bit tolerant about these things, however out of character it may seem. 

Yes, I accept that ropes can stretch and work loose over time but when the rope at one end is at right angles and the one at the other end is at a wide angle the boat is going to move when even a duck goes past. Quickly losing interest in the boats themselves I paid particular attention to how they were tied and what I have described was fairly common at most lines of boats on that type of mooring

Then, of course, there were the boats tied with springs - metal ones. 

It is almost as if some boaters tied their boats so that they will move then they can shout at the boats going past  ?

Haggis

Edited by haggis

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Precisely, so why start an argument when I implied I went past moored boats at the same speed you apparently do? I've been past Golden Nook often enough to know how long it takes - I used to more near Ellesmere Port. And why, also, assume that no one else has a fishlike hull? I realise that you believe your boat is more perfect than anyone else's , but this may in fact not be the case. 

And even at a sensible speed, above tickover but not enough to make well moored boats bash into each other (and, for that matter, badly tied up ones too, because I care about them as well, which you rather appear not to), it still takes about an hour to get past Golden Nook. Which, however much you love boating, is very, very boring , especially when you realise you're going to do it all over again on the way back... 

Just looked in my Blog and when I timed our passage it was 40 minutes and 1.2 miles long

I have to say that I have a one thousand ton oil tanker going past my moorings once or twice a week, It moves boats, so tie up properly with springs and they dont bounce all over the place, I mean how hard is it? Look at this picture its only in ballast here normally its much deeper in the water, also it reverses back past the boats at six in the morning

image.jpeg.310866b73adc02f916f0f7a3f665bdc3.jpeg

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have to say that I have a one thousand ton oil tanker going past my moorings once or twice a week, It moves boats, so tie up properly with springs and they dont bounce all over the place, I mean how hard is it? Look at this picture its only in ballast here normally its much deeper in the water, also it reverses back past the boats at six in the morning

image.jpeg.310866b73adc02f916f0f7a3f665bdc3.jpeg

That is essentially the point. The 'Pride' (and 'Princess' before her) came past me a few times when I was on your waterways with little or no bother 'cos I was moored up properly.

I have to say the one thing that annoys the hell out of me (OK, small exaggeration) is when I'm going past a line of moored boats and then meet a boat coming the other way so have to move closer to the moored boats. There is invariably one that has a slack line (usually the bow line) which means that as you pass the moored boat the bow then 'chases' you out across the canal as you try to avoid it (this also often happens when you pass a hire boat yard). I had a dear lady shout her displeasure at me near to the Bridge at Napton recently where exactly this scenario took place. I'm trying to pass an oncoming boat whilst her bow was then swinging out as I passed, I tried to avoid it but it swung out into me. She was complaining that I'd hit her when the reality was that her poorly moored boat hit me. By comparison, at my current mooring feel free for anyone to come past at whatever speed they can achieve, I have a functioning spring line which means that my boat will move about 6 inches for and aft and that is it, I can even be carrying a pan full of boiling water as anyone speeds past for the difference it will make:rolleyes:  

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 2

18 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Arthur, please calm down.

I was not starting an argument. And if tolerance is required, I seem to have more than you at the moment.

My boat is not more perfect, grammatically imperfect use of English, its just a hull with long swims and does disturb moored boats less than some others.

Sam.

15 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Arthur, please calm down.

I was not starting an argument. And if tolerance is required, I seem to have more than you at the moment.

My boat is not more perfect, grammatically imperfect use of English, its just a hull with long swims and does disturb moored boats less than some others.

Sam.

That's all right then! Not being argumentative, but there is no such thing as a grammatical imperfection, as there are no rules of grammar, merely custom and usage. Sometime a slightly odd phrase can be used deliberately for effect - I confess to having been a bit sarcastic, for which I apologise. And you are if course right, all boats behave differently and how one does should be taken into account when passing others. 

• Greenie 1